VANS RV-14A Maiden Flight Jandakot 3rd June 2018

poteroo

VH-XQQ, a VANS RV-14A made its' 1st flight , plus 2 subsequent flights, all on Sunday, 3rd June.

The -14 is powered by a 215 HP Lycoming XIO-390 engine driving a Hartzell CS propeller.

The initial flight was organised through a very helpful Jandakot Tower at 0900 - light traffic only. So light in fact, that I was cleared for takeoff before the camera crew had settled on the 'tower' hill. The circuit used was LH off 06 Left, and then a rectangular LH, wide, 'circuit' was flown at 75-80% power settings for 20 mins. Everything behaved itself. It flew wings level, hardly any rudder needed even at this cruise setting.  The acceleration was rapid, (see the vid), and it was through 110 KIAS in a matter of seconds, with a 1000+ fpm ROC.  Nearly busted my clearance of 1000ft!  Seemed more sensitive in pitch than other RVs, but generally, it flew very balanced and responsive. 65 over the fence with full flap and a trickle of power allowed it to handle the small crosswind and touchdown neatly on the mains.  Will post more when we get seriously into the test flying.

1236749542_VANSRV-14VH-XQQTestpilotbeinghandedkeysbyowner.thumb.jpg.7bec3f7e373b4ed2cb0d0b38d5feb2b0.jpg

843086732_VANSRV-14VH-XQQ1stlandingrwy06YPJT3rdJune2018.thumb.jpg.92bf5aee1b360f1bfee0116f8a7c84ee.jpg

RV-14A_Maiden_Flight_3rd_June_at_Jandakot_WA.MOV

• Like 1

Very nice! There's another one nearing completion that will fly out of Serpentine.

So I hear. Possibly VH-IFC? Owners in for pleasant surprise if they are 'stepping up' from something like a 160HP RV-9A.......probably +25kts faster.

That would be the one.  I'm not sure what they fly at the moment, but I think the 14 would be a step up for most of us, both in performance and bank balance required.

• 4 weeks later...
That would be the one. I'm not sure what they fly at the moment, but I think the 14 would be a step up for most of us, both in performance and bank balance required.

I flew the initial test flight for VH-IFC on Sunday 1st July, all in the 06L circuit @ JT, but 1500ft. Went very well - just a couple of small bugs which need adjustment. Then flew 2 trips out to training area where the flight manoeuvres were widened. Vs was by the VANS book - as were most other numbers, which seems to be the case with every RV that I've flown. This RV had a panel to die for.....so many functions and so much info that it's going to take them a lifetime to sort it.

Then later Sunday, VH-XQQ was flown back to Albany with owner, and the flight testing ,(Phase 1), will be completed here. 7500 ft @ 75% power produced about 174 KTAS, and 65% gave 166 KTAS - so, the journey was quite a buzz. Add to that 50 kts of NW tailwind and we were way over 200 GS all the way. Descent saw 235 GS. The Garmin G3X is quite a unit - all you need to do is wade through the 400 page 'Pilots Guide'

These RV-14A's are by far the most comfy RV's that I've flown, with better visibility both side and fwd. They also have the acceleration of a 200HP RV8 - but without the gyroscopic swing. It's remarkable that VANS has a wing which cruises at 160+ KTAS, yet with full flap + power, it approaches safely @ 65KIAS, (Vso x 1.3).

happy days,

• Like 4

Would the 14 be the best long distance cruiser of the RV series?

Impressive speeds at 75% and 65%. Any idea of fuel usage? RV-14 specs show 190 odd litres capacity and I was wondering the range....

Would the 14 be the best long distance cruiser of the RV series?Impressive speeds at 75% and 65%. Any idea of fuel usage? RV-14 specs show 190 odd litres capacity and I was wondering the range....

Will post more detailed comments once I have done the 25hrs Phase 1 testing on both -14s. The -14 is pretty close in climb & cruise to the 4 seat RV-10, but with 45 less HP. Haven't played with mixture too much as we are still pushing the Lycomings hard to get them run-in well. One of them has extra tankage of 2 x 40L in the tips, making it quite a goer in range.

happy days,