Narromine AusFly 2018

Love to fly

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More details required - like the dates, who’s hosting it, is it going to be informal or like the last few with all the BS that goes with having RAA pulling the strings.

18th - 21st October. Click on the link above and all should be clear :) It is going to be informal, and no I don't think RAA will be pulling the strings.

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

18th - 21st October. Click on the link above and all should be clear :) It is going to be informal, and no I don't think RAA will be pulling the strings.

The link didn’t have any dates as far as I could see.

More details required - like the dates, who’s hosting it, is it going to be informal or like the last few with all the BS that goes with having RAA pulling the strings.

Hi Bill, I'm not one of the organisers. Just thought it was worth sharing here. Love to catch up with some of you if you're going to be there. Looks like being a fun friendly event. No high ticket prices.

• Helpful 1

Umm sorry to be dumb, but what's AUF?

Australian ultralight federation. An organisation that focused on ultralights but which became RAAus and is now GA focused.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Australian ultralight federation. An organisation that focused on ultralights but which became RAAus and is now GA focused.

Thanks. I've learnt something new. Think AusFly is meant to be inclusive.

• Like 1

Thanks. I've learnt something new. Think AusFly is meant to be inclusive.

Another one for you: I was a member of the ULAAA long before there was an AUF. Ultra Light Aircraft Association of Australia!
  • Like 2

We've booked accommodation so will definitely be there, weather permitting. Gold coin donation for entry so I guess I can afford this one :) Be great to meet some of you there.

A Traditional Aussie Fly-In

Whatever you fly, are building, are thinking of building, or you are thinking of a career in or just interested in aviation – you are welcome!

Come and join in the fun! Soak up the true spirit of Australian general aviation at work.

A mix of pure general aviation content

• Education

• Flying

• Exhibitors

• Aircraft to see and get up close

• Social events

• Free joy flights for youngsters – encouraging our future aviators

Catching up with fellow aviators is what this event will be all about. A relaxed, traditional Aussie fly-In!

www.ausfly.com.au

• Like 1

Airventure Australia is the Cessnock thing in Sept.Ausfly is the Narromine thing in Oct.

Natfly is an obsolete name

And a good old fashioned flying is extinct

Another one for you: I was a member of the ULAAA long before there was an AUF. Ultra Light Aircraft Association of Australia!

Me too!

• Like 1

And a good old fashioned flying is extinct

Hopefully not extinct. Although I guess it all depends on your interpretation. Holbrook seem to host what I think would come close? And hopefully Narromine will be a friendly old fashioned style fly in.

• Like 2

Not wishing to buy into squabbles about ranking Airventure, Ausfly, Holbrook etc, surely I’m not the only wrinkly grey guy to notice a sea of other wrinkly grey guys at these events. It is sad overall that young people either:

1) don’t turn up to any of these events in large numbers, or

2) the young are no longer interested in flying and simply don’t partake in aviation.

If the latter is the case, that doesn’t bode well for aviation overall.

Not wishing to buy into squabbles about ranking Airventure, Ausfly, Holbrook etc, surely I’m not the only wrinkly grey guy to notice a sea of other wrinkly grey guys at these events. It is sad overall that young people either:1) don’t turn up to any of these events in large numbers, or

2) the young are no longer interested in flying and simply don’t partake in aviation.

I would suggest mostly number 1. The flying school I hire from regularly posts pictures on FB of the latest solos or certificate attainments and the majority of them are young. I think a disincentive for young people to get involved with organized events and flying clubs etc is that they seem to be mainly populated with older grumpy pessimistic people. Although I am an older person I don't get involved with flying clubs because my experience of them is that they seem to be too many older folks who whinge and whine and talk about how good the old days were (I am old enough to have experienced the old day first hand)

There is nothing I love more than taking a young person flying and telling them how fantastic it is to learn to fly, yeah, of course, there are administrative hurdles to navigate around but it is worth it. I don't think it matters so much that the majority are older but if the sport is to continue we need pass on our enthusiasm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • More 1

Not wishing to buy into squabbles about ranking Airventure, Ausfly, Holbrook etc, surely I’m not the only wrinkly grey guy to notice a sea of other wrinkly grey guys at these events. It is sad overall that young people either:1) don’t turn up to any of these events in large numbers, or

The young do tend to aspire to fly further than they can while holding the joystick, so a passport is usually a higher priority than a pilots licence. Two of my three kids have been overseas twice already though neither my wife or I have ever held a passport. The world is a lot smaller for them so a plane that has 3 or 4 hours range doesn't get them there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

• 1 month later...