Ripstop Nylon Fabric.

farri

Seems a little pointless to me. For the perforated sheet to be structurally sound, it would need to be thicker than a typical sheeted skin, so no weight saving. You have then added two processes 1. applying fabric and 2. perforating the sheet.

You may also introduce problems later in life when recovering is required with the risk of skin damage while stripping fabric and adhesive.

Seems a little pointless to me.

Not the first time I've heard that, that's for sure. Generally spurs me on.

For the perforated sheet to be structurally sound, it would need to be thicker than a typical sheeted skin, so no weight saving.

Wrong. double the thickness of a solid and you increase it's strength times 4.

Loose example, a sheet with 50% hole area, twice as thick, is the same weight (duh), but is 1.5 times the strength in FEA. It also importantly has a much higher buckling strength, a critical factor.

perforating the sheet.

Literaly thousands of combinations of material grades and hole shapes and sizes available straight off the shelf.

Funny, once you think of it, then how many times you see it being used daily. The seats at a building I was in 2 days ago were all made from tube and perforated sheet for example.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Bex, I commend your wish to find new solutions but this is a case of KISS.

All other things been equal, I would always go a full metal skin for longevity and sale ability. It would probably put off a lot of potential buyers having such a hybrid covering.

Even if it was a great engineering solution you may find it a hard sell.

Even if it was a great engineering solution you may find it a hard sell.

Oh I certainly agree with that, aviation is 'Luddite Central', but I have other uses as well to make it worthwhile investigating.

... and it's fun experiementing to boot.

• Like 1