Prop Balancers

Brett

Thanks Bruce - Defiantly not the mains (I lock my brakes on lightly after TOff to prevent this) - never known the nose wheel to rotate but always a possibility (now I will have to figure out a way of checking this out - any suggestions??)

Nose wheels can be main offenders as the mains have drag applied by the disc or drum pads depending on the type of brake setup. The nose is free to spin. Cheers

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nose wheels can be main offenders as the mains have drag applied by the disc or drum pads depending on the type of brake setup. The nose is free to spin. Cheers

Yes but the question is - how do you know its spinning ?

I always know when I forget to "lock" my mains - the low frequency vibration is quit distinct and can be "killed" by applying the brakes. I have never been award of a nose wheel vib/rotation and would like to know how to ID it.

Thanks Bruce - Defiantly not the mains (I lock my brakes on lightly after TOff to prevent this) - never known the nose wheel to rotate but always a possibility (now I will have to figure out a way of checking this out - any suggestions??)

mount a gopro or similar under the aircraft and you will see

• Like 1

good idea Mark. I was wondering about putting a brush into the spat to apply some friction and also lower the drag by slowing air movement , but haven't tried anything yet.

A camera or an endoscope would do the trick to see if there is any rotation , thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

mount a gopro or similar under the aircraft and you will see

I doubt that there is a location under my Zephyr that would hold Go Pro and for it to see my front tyre (closely fared) in flight - a 12 volt mini automotive reversing camera, with monitor in cockpit might just do it - I think I have one somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Bruce - Defiantly not the mains (I lock my brakes on lightly after TOff to prevent this)...

I'd always wondered why a checklist would include "brakes off". Very embarrassing if you touched down with them still locked.

I'd always wondered why a checklist would include "brakes off". Very embarrassing if you touched down with them still locked.

Even that doesn't always work......I've had to change a set of main wheels on a heli because they did a 'run on' landing with the park brake on, and I've see tailwheels buggered several times because they were turning while taxiing with the tailwheel locked.

Even that doesn't always work......I've had to change a set of main wheels on a heli because they did a 'run on' landing with the park brake on, and I've see tailwheels buggered several times because they were turning while taxiing with the tailwheel locked.

Easy done - My bakes have three positions from light to hard - I usually fly on the first (drag) position to stop my mains rotating in flight. I have landed, without taking the brake off, but in this light pressure position its a none event (luckily).

Back to the Dynamic Balancer, which I plan to fit on my J2.2 in the next few months.It has occurred to me that it might help alleviate the vibration band around 2400rpm, which is a problem when I want to go slow.

That be a great test for the BM. I am happy with the one I have fitted. Look forward to your results. Cheers

That be a great test for the BM. I am happy with the one I have fitted. Look forward to your results. Cheers

Trouble is I don't particularly notice any change in vibes as I back off thru 2400; I just avoid running too long at the spot because it's the range Jabiru told us to avoid. It just occurred to me that a BM forward of the prop might reduce the vibes at these revs. I'd be interested in others' stake in this.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Follow up report -

Checked nose wheel for "free play". very slight side movement. Snicked up the axle nut to remove all play. In flight low frequency vibration GONE!!

BM functioning ? cant tell. Is this good? Your guess is as good as mine.

• 1 year later...