Question about corrosion protection

Hi gents

Like I said in the Zenith section my Ch650 has arrived and I'm about to start the build, but I'm still after a few more opinions on corrosion protection for the thing.

I've been told about a company called "Protec" the product is "AP-4441 Protec Etch Primer" what's everyone's opinion? Any other types people have used? BUT Like I started in the zenith forum I'd just like to rule out ANY of the to toxic/carcinogenic types please. {Not interested}

Cheers Boys

Rick

Hi gentsLike I said in the Zenith section my Ch650 has arrived and I'm about to start the build, but I'm still after a few more opinions on corrosion protection for the thing.

I've been told about a company called "Protec" the product is "AP-4441 Protec Etch Primer" what's everyone's opinion? Any other types people have used? BUT Like I started in the zenith forum I'd just like to rule out ANY of the to toxic/carcinogenic types please. {Not interested}

Cheers Boys

Rick

Allan in Bendigo has "CORTEC"........non toxic , water based or thinned with metho (dries quicker)

• Helpful 1

I was going to say Dulux etch primer .... Dulux Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak

But looking at the msds it's probably a bit toxic for you....

Anyway, I use it on my metalwork and find it works very well.....applys easy and is long lasting and hard wearing.

Quite often this is the only coating I put on as I like the colour and finish. Sometimes I just clear coat straight over it.

Being in a pressure pack, it's handy to grab for a small bracket or whatever...

cq5dam.thumbnail_800_800.png.6bf3a621e3c0514432fabb3ef387f34f.png

• Helpful 1

Watch out for thick and cheap and nasty primers . They can add a lot of weight because it's a lot of area. Pay attention to lapped areas. That's where the hidden damage happens. I would tend to stick to recognized, proven aviation products and observe the " user care required" aspects. Just about any spray is bad for you. Nev

• Helpful 1

I used a product called prekote to clean and prepare the 6061 alloy my Sonex is built with. I then used Wattyl etch primer over the top. It was a lot of work and the Wattyl etch primer may not have been the best product to use as its a little soft and should actually be top coated. But I felt it was a lot better for my health than using products like alodine and two pack with isoncyanates

If the alloy you are using is 2024T3, that is much better for corrosion resistance than 6061T6, but both are OK if primed at all joining surfaces before rivetting. I used a locally bought etch primer. I didn't paint all the interior fuse of my RV, but I sprayed it with Corrosion X, which dries to a waxy film. No problems after 6 years in humid central Qld. I have since gone to epoxy primer as the other stuff was affected by mogas.

• Informative 1