July issue Sport Pilot

I don't think it is any better though it has a glossier cover but mine also only arrived last Thursday so that is not a plus. Also our Wings and Wheels at South Grafton which is scheduled for 12th of August was not listed in the upcoming events even though Brian had a 2 page spread on it in the June edition. Time will tell if there is an improvement but the cheapest option is not always the best.

• Agree 1

It's not available as a download from RAA or Issuu. Is there election material in there? That would explain getting a hard copy in the letterbox. However, we have not received either of our mags.

Brian Begg has also lost the AOPA magazine, so I am wondering if he decided to "retire" or if it was just co-incidence that both magazines went out to tender and someone else got the contracts.

The mag has just been taken over by Mark smith (previously Australia flying magazine) a very accomplished editer and photographer.

He is of firm belief that he will revitalise our current magazine.

He has not long taken over / hand over. So i guess things are pretty full on at the moment.

Give it time to settle and hopfully we should have ourselves a nice new mag

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

So if election materials were to go with the magazine and that was delayed for some reason what does that do to the election process?

Hmmmm. Can’t answer that can we ... because RAAus leadership have not published or made available to us the rules for this election.

But I’m sure that they will when the delay is pointed out make it up as they go along.

Stand for election or shut up I hear SO often on here ... but who wants to become a director or a company that’s repeatedly ignoring basic processes.

I don’t care if it’s only a little thing this organisation has a long history of admin failures ... not safety failures ADMIN and if this was still an incorporated association individual members would have had much more ability to hold the management to account ... as a company our options are to sue at our own cost or suck it up.

• Agree 3

Good points Kasper; the treatment of you when you tried to do something about it, and the lack of support from the members was disgusting.

The situation can still be fixed by people of determination, skill and goodwill, but it's a much harder process.

It's interesting that most of the people who relentlessly pushed for the change, and repeatedly rebutted any sane arguments against it appear to have fled the scene.

• Agree 2

I have just re-read the RAA election nomination pack. The key dates are: Nominations close 6 July 2018, Election statements and materials will be mailed to all members in a hard copy of the August magazine.

Voting opens on 1 August 2018 with voting closing on14 September 2018. The successful candidates will be announced in September and take their positions at the November AGM.

Some "magazines" with hard copy available by subscription only release the digital version a few weeks after, to encourage subscriptions. Some, like Kitplanes allow me to view the digital about a month before the mag is in the letterbox, EAA has a digital version which is available to me a month before the mag, but to get both, I paid for a spouse subscription ($10) and I read his digital and he reads my magazine a month later. I am a full member.

If the new editors are delaying the digital version or not providing one, I shall be very annoyed. I keep checking for it on the RAA and Issuu sites.

Sign into RAAus web site, select documents & forms tab, then sport Pilot & download pdf.

Thanks for this new (to me) & successful way of accessing Sport Pilot - all this time I have just clicked on the Sport Pilot icon.

So my issue of Sport Pilot reached us via our PO Box at Adelaide River.

Much as I enjoyed Brian’s tenure with the mag, Mark and his wife seem to have done a great job with it. So good the editor and deputy editor remain aviators themselves ( I assume that was a selection criteria for the contract?)

Well done Mark. Flying dog articles always welcome

Alan

So if election materials were to go with the magazine and that was delayed for some reason what does that do to the election process?Hmmmm. Can’t answer that can we ... because RAAus leadership have not published or made available to us the rules for this election.

But I’m sure that they will when the delay is pointed out make it up as they go along.

Stand for election or shut up I hear SO often on here ... but who wants to become a director or a company that’s repeatedly ignoring basic processes.

I don’t care if it’s only a little thing this organisation has a long history of admin failures ... not safety failures ADMIN and if this was still an incorporated association individual members would have had much more ability to hold the management to account ... as a company our options are to sue at our own cost or suck it up.

Again I had absolutely NO inside info when I wrote the post above ... today in the email from RAAus:

FROM THE CEO

RAAus is seeking two Directors to fill two roles as we continue to evolve and develop. To allow ample time for voting this year we have extended the voting period to over 8 weeks. Voting opens 1 August 2018 and closes on 28 September 2018 and you will find a ballot paper and envelope in your edition of Sport Pilot. We’re mailing Sport Pilot to every member this month. In some cases it may take a couple of weeks to arrive as Australia Post strictly adhere to their off peak mailing guidelines. This off peak service allows us to deliver an affordable product to you, our members, and we thank you for your patience”

Just have to say to RAAus members at large ... where are the rules for this election that allows the directors to change the operation of the election part way through?

It would be an entirely reasonable thing for members to have the rules available before the election started with this detail because that would be reasonable as REQUIRED under the corporate docs of RAAus.

Ho hum. I wonder how many times and in how many areas I have to point out BASIC admin completely contrary to the governing docs of RAAus before the regulator gives a damn or the management of RAAus start thinking oh dear, maybe members should be given a bit of basic respect.

When? I think flocks of flying pigs will be more likely than ASIC taking a care because they already told me flat in writing that once it’s a company it’s up to the shareholders to sue for mismanagement and cause control through general meetings. Lol.

And the current ops of RAAus under management that has been in place for the past three+ years have repeatedly ignored and at times actively attempted - successfully - to use member funds to shut down dissent based on their direct breach of the governing docs.

The sooner part 149 or another alternate to RAAus exists the better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1