Hello Fellow Pilots!

Locusnite

Hey Guys/Girls,

My Names Andy, and im from Australia, Just couple flights away from sitting my Solo! Super excited.

Just looking around now to try and find a plane to build up some hours in an I've came across a ultra lighte but its 2 far away to just go have a look and the guy cant give me enough info on it as he has noidea about it and im hoping some one here would or could shoot me in the right direction!

I know its a long shot but he is saying its a CSG ? would any one know the year and its also missing its wing fabric, would any one have an idea on price or who to contact for such a thing in Australia or overseas?

PymgrWz

PymgrWz

Imgur

Looking Forward to interacting with the community and some knowledge on this aircraft if any one has one or knows about it.

Thanks!

Andy

Might possibly be a Chinook, but don’t quote me!

They are a bit of a bugger to fly mate,. . .I KNOW. .. I've had the pleasure ( ? ) of three simulator flights. If the actual beast is as bad,. . .then I'd prefer the Jetranger or an old Huey personally. . . .

I have circa 250 hours on various whirlygigs. . . . and this has given me the DISTINCT impression that I would be a lot safer flying Aeroplanes.

• Like 1

DFBB51DF-F7C4-426E-AB83-921B376E3DB6.jpeg.d077fabe638be51943bb77ee7776b2a0.jpeg

They are a bit of a bugger to fly mate,. . .I KNOW. .. I've had the pleasure ( ? ) of three simulator flights. If the actual beast is as bad,. . .then I'd prefer the Jetranger or an old Huey personally. . . .I have circa 250 hours on various whirlygigs. . . . and this has given me the DISTINCT impression that I would be a lot safer flying Aeroplanes.

Haha, funny man! Chinook ultralight, but as I said, don’t quote me.

It’s a cgs hawk ... it’s on the fuse boom as a reminder.

Easy to fly but looking at that pic it’s going to cost more than it’s worth to put back in the air so be prepared for a love not logic project if you take it on.

• Agree 1

It’s a cgs hawk ... it’s on the fuse boom as a reminder.Easy to fly but looking at that pic it’s going to cost more than it’s worth to put back in the air so be prepared for a love not logic project if you take it on.

We have a CGS Hawk 2 at Otherton. . .I flew it to many fly-ins to see if there was any interest, including a large event at Cranfield. . . The Importer had a restricted licence only. .It wasn't a bad machine actually, 65 Kt. cruise, very pleasant to fly with no apparent vices. . . although it came in too late really, 503 engine, max fuel 25 litres, so range was going to be an immediate problem since the authority ( PFA I think ) refused to allow a second fuel tank mod, mounted beneath the engine , ( as with most Flexwings ) citing the risk of fire ( ? ? ? )

The importer lost interest in it after that. There have been several attempts by various people over the intervening years to purchase it as is, but in each case, the Owner asked far too much money. So there it remains. . unloved. Shame really. . .could perhaps be re-rigged as single seat deregulated, leaving a nice space in the rear for a jerry can.. . .!

Apologies for my misunderstanding of the CHINOOK name. . .I'd never heard of that one !

• Like 1

We have a CGS Hawk 2 at Otherton. . .I flew it to many fly-ins to see if there was any interest, including a large event at Cranfield. . . The Importer had a restricted licence only. .It wasn't a bad machine actually, 65 Kt. cruise, very pleasant to fly with no apparent vices. . . although it came in too late really, 503 engine, max fuel 25 litres, so range was going to be an immediate problem since the authority ( PFA I think ) refused to allow a second fuel tank mod, mounted beneath the engine , ( as with most Flexwings ) citing the risk of fire ( ? ? ? )The importer lost interest in it after that. There have been several attempts by various people over the intervening years to purchase it as is, but in each case, the Owner asked far too much money. So there it remains. . unloved. Shame really. . .could perhaps be re-rigged as single seat deregulated, leaving a nice space in the rear for a jerry can.. . .!

Apologies for my misunderstanding of the CHINOOK name. . .I'd never heard of that one !

No problem. I was wrong anyway!

It’s a cgs hawk ... it’s on the fuse boom as a reminder.Easy to fly but looking at that pic it’s going to cost more than it’s worth to put back in the air so be prepared for a love not logic project if you take it on.

According to the website, it looks like it'd cost US$3000+ to get the fabric
  • Like 1

According to the website, it looks like it'd cost US$3000+ to get the fabric

Yep. Convert that to AU$ add freight. Add GST

Allow $500+ for replacement hardware

Allow $2000 to rebuild/overhaul/recommission the engine

Add .. add ... add

Add aggravation of it probably never being registered and working through the fun of inspections and docs with RAAus and your inspector... who probably costs.

You can pick up a going single seater for less than this so it’s a labour of love if you take it on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry if I gave that impression Mr. Kasper Sir,. . . .I was not suggesting that it would be suitable for someone in Australia . . .it has been kept covered for quite a few years, it had complete new skins when it was finally hangared. It was extensively Betts tested 6 months ago and the fabric is fine, apart from a small 'Hangar Rash' cut around 50mm in length on one side of the fin.

An airfield maintenance guy has looked after the engine so that is also in good condx..

This aircraft was built by Mike Whittaker, with additional nuisance help from myself, and test flown for 26 hours by Eddie Clapham and 12 hours further 'Sales' flights by me. The Owner (finally licensed ) flew it to a North Coates fly-in with me in my Gemini Flash 2 / 503, but I couldn't keep up with it with the bar firmly planted in my ample guts and he lost me in his wake very quickly.

I still think that it could be resurrected for a moderate cost as a starter machine for someone with reduced funds. . . but I agree that it would be important to strip it down for close inspection of the frame.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply been very busy with work

I appreciate every ones comments and I’m quite impressed with every ones feed back!

As I’m only new to the pilot seen I’ll admit I think it was a bit much to take on

I’ve just recently enquired about a Cobram cobra, and being it’s in a “ready to fly now state” it’s definitely more Appealing

[GALLERY=media, 4103]04048180-F4B4-40D8-9C08-8D3BFEFD55B3 by Locusnite posted Sep 24, 2018 at 10:51 AM[/GALLERY]

Has any one seen or flew one of these or something in the nature ?

Thanks every one for your feed back!