I'm thinking of getting my Flight Instructor Rating Ultralights

Astroguy

Thanks Nev....

Yes I agree it's too little time ... so I will be at least doubling the required time here in Canada for ULPP instruction. I have much to learn about everything especially rapid weather changes.

My flight instructors did start teaching one at 54 hours and one at 130 hours and both have over 1,000 hours now....

I plan to flight instruct so I thought I'd take the course offered me but just build hours until I can feel that a familiarization flights can be my starts.

Yes... huge responsibily,.... scares me enough for sure.... We'll see how for I get before I try for the Instructor flight check rides and tests but for now I'll just be flying but with flight instructor in the back of my mind as a possibility.

One of the main problems with teaching any student how to operate any item of equipment - be it an aircraft, car, truck, tractor, or whatever - is the propensity to pass on your own bad habits, or potentially dangerous ideas, to the new student.

For that reason, being taught by numerous instructors is a good idea.

This principle is also the reasoning behind why it is highly undesirable for parents to teach their children how to drive vehicles.

Besides the conflict between the parent/child relationship, and the instructor/student relationship, there is simply the risk that the poor driving habits of the parent - accumulated over many years without being checked - are simply passed onto the student child.

Phil is spot on,, as regards the teaching ability lacking in many people. I reckon at least half my school teachers had an abysmal lack of teaching ability.

To get even more balance in your teaching instruction, as a student, I reckon you should also have a mix of male and female instructors. There are a lot of women who have a better "feel" for machinery, than many men.

Extra study is good if it's practical, useful and factual and not based on some "weird" theory resembling flying cultism rather than verifiable science. Considering the conservation of energy is a valuable concept in flying.. Good basic Newtonian Physics knowledge applies to a lot of what an aeroplane does.. Nev

Two cheap ebook downloads that I have read several times are Engine Out Survival Tactics by Nate Jaros and Fly the Engine by Kaz Thomas. They filled a gap in my knowledge that hadn’t been covered in training.

Thankyou ... I really do appreciate hints that others have gained specific knowledge through. There is a huge amount of info available and it's nice to have a high review to help me out with my reading. I will download these but I need to get a kindle I suppose.

BTW we are flying an Ikarus c42 ultralight that is dry weight of 600 lbs and a Vso of 35 knots with a POH max demo crosswind of 15knots.

Thanks again

okay the hardcover JAROS book is in my free shipping Amazon cart as on now so thanks. I really have to invest in a Kindle....here in Canada we have an ereader company call Koobo and we purchased Canadian but it ended up being a poor decision as very few books go to Koobo.

Extra study is good if it's practical, useful and factual and not based on some "weird" theory resembling flying cultism rather than verifiable science. Considering the conservation of energy is a valuable concept in flying.. Good basic Newtonian Physics knowledge applies to a lot of what an aeroplane does.. Nev

Yes Nev.... alot of airtime will be now put into this weakness! Last week I was doing beautiful engine outs when solo but I think I was selecting best field before my "surprise" engine outs.... so that ended up not being all that applicable in the real world as I just demonstrated. I will really start in ernest on forced landings now.... meaning a true surprise. Yes I saw physics in operation with one forced landing.... from 2200 ft I was doing well to reach mid field landing but at about 600 ft I realized that suddenly I wasn't going to make the field.... and subconciously I was pulling back on the stick and increasing my LD ratio . Once I figured out that I had dropped my airspeed subconcioulsy I finally eased the stick forward to pick back up to my 66 knots best glide and bang .... there I was making the field and clearing the dreaded hydro wires.

Newtonian and subatomic physics seem to have little to do with our basic instints eh?

PS I should note that we are flying an Ikarus c42 ultralight that is dry weight of 600 lbs and a Vso of 35 knots with a POH max demo crosswind of 15knots.

Again Thanks Nev....

feedback appreciated

• Like 1