Airventure Australia 2018 Cessnock - Success or Not?

Roundsounds

Thursday was raining until early afternoon but the day ended up being quite pleasant. There would have been around 100 cars in the car park and very few people wandering around amongst the exhibits.

Yesterday was a very nice day and visitor numbers were up a bit on Thursday but visitors numbers still seemed low to me.

Today was a great day and numbers were certainly up on the last 2 days. I had to leave at around midday but there were probably a couple of hundred cars in the car park and definitely more visiting aircraft, albeit still quite low numbers to me. I counted 21 aircraft in the camping area so numbers of camp under the wing attendees was quite low.

I attended a few of the forums including meet the RAAus team. There were 4 of us that attended that forum. In general, attendance at the forums was quite low but probably in line with general attendance numbers.

To me, it seemed well organised so credit to the RAAus team for that. Unfortunately, the numbers were probably a little disappointing. That said, the exhibitors that I spoke to felt that it was a success and got good interaction with potential customers.

It was a nice and pleasant venue. My suggestions for next year is to provide some tables at the eating outlets where visitors can sit down and meet others. I found at Oshkosh that the dining tables at the food outlets was a great forced way of meeting and interacting with others. Also, it’s a pain having to eat standing up or sitting on the grass. Some tables would have been nice.

As a visitor, next year, I will take my own chair and sunshade to relax in/under. And yes, I would go back next year although I’d really like to see the RAAus and SAAA get together for their fly-in’s. It would create a larger event, halve the cost to run a fly-in for each organisation, and halve the cost for the exhibitors who would otherwise attend both fly-ins.

At the meet the team forum, I asked Michael Linke about the relationship between the management of RAAus and the SAAA and he advised that the new management of the SAAA was difficult to deal with. As a member of both organisations, this is very disappointing to me as a know that the previous SAAA management were building some very good bridges with RAAus. At Narromine, I shall raise this issue at one of the forums with SAAA management to find out why two organisations with essentially the same objectives cannot have a synergy that helps both organisations and their members.

Sorry, no photos.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Bristell

Airshow was a big improvement on last year at Narromine . Everyone loves to see some Warbirds flying. Cessnock turned out to be a much better venue than I expected it to be . Agree with previous post in that areas around food conceesions were poorly organized with few chairs and no shade . Numbers in attendance seemed disappointing but it was great to be able to move around easily and get individual attention at the exhibits and a clear view from the flightline.

It was suggested that one reason for the fewer number of under-wing tents was the ageing pilot population being less willing to sleep that way. Cessnock was, in part, chosen for that reason, since more and better accommodation was on offer in the hunter valley.

The crappy wet weather on Thursday may well have put off a number of fly-in visitors too

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Agree that Thursday was wet so numbers were really low on that day.

Friday was a nice day.

We got caught out with the $10 parking fee. A notice about it didn’t appear until Saturday.

A few people were upset about the on the day entry fee but to be honest I could have given my tickets to someone else to use as they were never checked.

Attendance on Saturday was much lower than I expected. Some of the vendors we were talking to are expecting to make a loss overall.

The seminars I attended were good (I didn’t bother with the meet the team ones).

The camping under wing was a long way from the venue itself so we didn’t see those apart from driving past, on the way in.

Watching the aircraft depart, most seemed to be VH registered on the Saturday.

I would definitely go back. The venue was nice, we could wander around and see all the aircraft. The vendors were all good and the air display was good, but I agree about the food area. We could’ve done with some bench tables, and why would they put the children’s area with bouncy castles in that area and in front of some of the vendors?

I don’t think it was advertised enough to non-RAAus people and other flying organisations. I think they were definitely expecting more to attend.

• Helpful 1

Was there on Friday for half the day. Trade displays were good, RAAus display was well staffed. Wife liked the gyros (she can shell out for one if she likes) and they were flying regularly, along with Savannah. War birds were joy flighting . A few more trade aircraft flying would have been good.

Needed a large marqee with seating, like they had at Temora, there wasn't any seating to eat at a table. Way better than last year. Ken

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought it w well organised, a great location and the seminars that I attended were great. This site has great potential, the carpaarking was unfortunate but out of RAA's control, the fee for use of the parking paddock was sprung on them the week before the event I was told. The police wanted a four figure sum to cover their presence as well. I had no issue paying $10 for a close park any way, spent ten times that in the open bar area whilst watching the P51 and Yaks do their thing. I really enjoyed it and hope more people get behind iit next year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

i had never been of the highway to that area despite living on a few hours away. was impressed with how much is around to see and do.

we had been to the drive in before and went again this time on Friday night.

i will definitively find some time to drop into cessnock again after this.

I have just got home from attending AirVenture and I was there from Wednesday evening until Sunday morning.

I was in the camping area for that time. The rain was good and saved us from a very dusty environment.

The camping area was well set up with lights, toilets and showers. Whoever designed the showers has never

really had to have one in them!

The venue is good and has room for expanding the Exhibitors area and has room for many more attendees.

The volunteers, marshals and vendors were friendly and helpful and it was a great atmosphere to be in.

There was an OTT police presence and they were obviously bored!

There was a lack of AirVenture signage in Cessnock and no signs leading people to the airport! Apparently the

local Council is strict on signs and who and where they can be used so they removed them! MM also said they

did a letterbox drop for the locals. Quite a few came on the Saturday.

It is my understanding that the financial risk is David's ( who owns the Airventure business) and that RAAus has a limit

on their liability. I hope someone made a profit out of it so that it will continue into the future.

Thank you to Matt Hall ( I don't know how his brain is not scrambled!), The BAE Hawk pilot ( he probably picks his

brain out of his backside), and all of the airshow pilots. It was also great that exhibitors could fly their aircraft for

potential customers. I feel like cracking the heads together of RAAus, SAAA and AOPA so that they will support

any attempts to showcase our industry to flyers and public alike.

My overall opinion was that it well done for a first time at this venue and hope the local council gets on board next time!.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I was there from Thurs to Sunday(today).

I questioned the 2 michaels at one of the open forums about the breakdown between RAAUS, SAAA abd AOPA. They denied any culpability in it and I expressed my displeasure about the fighting and my scepticism about the Michaels innocence in it. I have both licences and I dont give a sausage about who does what. I want the 3 organisations to be co-operating so we can get real reform from CASA. I am considering standing for the next RAAUS board nomination on a dissenting ticket. I dont expect to win, but I think it is high time some displeasure is publicly expressed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Thursday was raining until early afternoon but the day ended up being quite pleasant. There would have been around 100 cars in the car park and very few people wandering around amongst the exhibits.Yesterday was a very nice day and visitor numbers were up a bit on Thursday but visitors numbers still seemed low to me.

Today was a great day and numbers were certainly up on the last 2 days. I had to leave at around midday but there were probably a couple of hundred cars in the car park and definitely more visiting aircraft, albeit still quite low numbers to me. I counted 21 aircraft in the camping area so numbers of camp under the wing attendees was quite low.

I attended a few of the forums including meet the RAAus team. There were 4 of us that attended that forum. In general, attendance at the forums was quite low but probably in line with general attendance numbers.

To me, it seemed well organised so credit to the RAAus team for that. Unfortunately, the numbers were probably a little disappointing. That said, the exhibitors that I spoke to felt that it was a success and got good interaction with potential customers.

It was a nice and pleasant venue. My suggestions for next year is to provide some tables at the eating outlets where visitors can sit down and meet others. I found at Oshkosh that the dining tables at the food outlets was a great forced way of meeting and interacting with others. Also, it’s a pain having to eat standing up or sitting on the grass. Some tables would have been nice.

As a visitor, next year, I will take my own chair and sunshade to relax in/under. And yes, I would go back next year although I’d really like to see the RAAus and SAAA get together for their fly-in’s. It would create a larger event, halve the cost to run a fly-in for each organisation, and halve the cost for the exhibitors who would otherwise attend both fly-ins.

At the meet the team forum, I asked Michael Linke about the relationship between the management of RAAus and the SAAA and he advised that the new management of the SAAA was difficult to deal with. As a member of both organisations, this is very disappointing to me as a know that the previous SAAA management were building some very good bridges with RAAus. At Narromine, I shall raise this issue at one of the forums with SAAA management to find out why two organisations with essentially the same objectives cannot have a synergy that helps both organisations and their members.

Sorry, no photos.

I remember your Question about the relationship between Saaa and Raa cos I was one of the Six attendees on the Thursday morn meet the team Forum. But numbers did improve over the next two days.. I also had the same thoughts about the non table seating available, I was prepared though with my own chairs n umbrella on the Saturday for the Airshow though.. One good thing for the Kids was the rides and entertainment area, they had a ball with the one $15 charge for Unlimited rides all day.. Myself personally was disappointed that there was no Venders with parts , hardware , Tools, nick naks etc .. The growing abscence of our roots rag n tube , parra , home built , Amateurs . I didn't hear of any judging results announced of aircraft that flew in.. nor do you get to see the aircraft awarded the flyin parking area was far to far away almost hidden away from the public eye.

• Helpful 1

I was there from Thurs to Sunday(today).I questioned the 2 michaels at one of the open forums about the breakdown between RAAUS, SAAA abd AOPA. They denied any culpability in it and I expressed my displeasure about the fighting and my scepticism about the Michaels innocence in it. I have both licences and I dont give a sausage about who does what. I want the 3 organisations to be co-operating so we can get real reform from CASA. I am considering standing for the next RAAUS board nomination on a dissenting ticket. I dont expect to win, but I think it is high time some displeasure is publicly expressed.

Agree re the lack of cooperation between these organisations. I reckon it’s time to arrange a meeting with the senior management of these organisations and have them work out how they can put their differences aside and develop a strategy to work together to try to undo the damage caused by their poor performance. Together they could have effected change to the unworkable rules CASA are introducing. Instead they are wading with each other and allowing CASA a free hand to do what they like. The most effective time to change the rules is during the development of them.

• Agree 2

Any meti

Agree re the lack of cooperation between these organisations. I reckon it’s time to arrange a meeting with the senior management of these organisations and have them work out how they can put their differences aside and develop a strategy to work together to try to undo the damage caused by their poor performance. Together they could have effected change to the unworkable rules CASA are introducing. Instead they are wading with each other and allowing CASA a free hand to do what they like. The most effective time to change the rules is during the development of them.

Any meeting between the heads of the three organisations to come to some mutual agreement about recreational aviation will require those delegates to leave their personal egos AT THE DOOR! If they can do this and actually find the common ground, then we might have a chance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Any metiAny meeting between the heads of the three organisations to come to some mutual agreement about recreational aviation will require those delegates to leave their personal egos AT THE DOOR! If they can do this and actually find the common ground, then we might have a chance.

I had in mind a group of members from each organisation who are feed up with this poor behaviour and management to call the meeting. They would run the meeting to ensure there is an acceptable outcome reached. This would then require regular follow up meetings to make sure things are kept on track. This could potentially stop the blame game as there are independent people there to witness the proceedings.

It seems from comments that the venue was good and so was the organisation (apart from the lack of tables, chairs & shade). Getting the Council on board would be an obvious improvement. The problem with many councils is that they make decisions on lack of or mis-information. Some councillors get elected as they think the rates are too high and every bit of dosh they can squeeze from any other source they do so to try and feather the nest. In fact they often end up crapping in the nest as it can become too hard for the outside organisation to try again. They could easily allow temporary signage and free car parking and promote the event to draw visitors to the area. Local food outlets, restaurants, Hotels/motels etc all benefit.

Why was a Police presence required anyway? It may have been cheaper to have a few blokes with Security vests on.

Finally sport and recreation aviation is far too small to have ridiculous squabbles between factions. Until this is resolved nothing will improve.

• Agree 1

As for Cessnock airfield itself, I think it was a very good venue that has good potential. The airfield facilities were fine; there was plenty of space to park aircraft; there was plenty of space for those that wanted to camp with their aircraft; there is space for more exhibitors; there was plenty of space for car parking; and the local town, Cessnock had plenty of accommodation options as well as many food options. Lots of pubs!

It is also only 2 hours drive out of Sydney so is a viable day trip for Sydneysiders.

I’d be curious to hear the opinions of pilots who flew in from the West. It looks to be tiger country. Is there any access that offers viable forced landing options at all times when flying into Cessnock from West of the ranges?

I will be attending Narromine with the intention to benchmark the two events and venues and provide my feedback to the respective managements.

I will certainly be raising the issue of the lack of cooperation between RAAus and the SAAA to the SAAA board at the forum at Narromine to get their side of the story. If there are not what I perceive to be justifiable reasons for the lack of cooperation, I will call them out on it. If it is an ego thing, heads should roll.

It looks from what I see here that it wasn't too bad a show. I don't know why the police needed a big sum of money and why they were even needed there. At Old Station Fly ins I don't believe they were ever paid to attend, they just showed up and there was never any need for them. Also at Old Station there was always plenty of tables and shaded areas, but of course it was not run by RAAus.

It seems to me that we have an organisation that is just trying to make a business of controlling us recreational flyers and they are not making much of a showing.

I didn't bother going, but I think I will be able to get to Narromine, next month, by road rather than by air on my way to Sydney and then the NSW coast, back up to Qld.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

It seems to me that we have an organisation that is just trying to make a business of controlling us recreational flyers and they are not making much of a showing.

I look at it like this.

The RAA is now just a corporation like any other. Think banks and insurance companies.

If you are a "member" or even worse, a member and aircraft owner, they have "captured" your market.

There is not much potential left in you, as they already have your money. There is no need to spend time, resources and money on you. Where are you going to go? It's basically an uncompeditive monopoly.

Anyone who is NOT a member interests the RAA as that IS the untapped resource....? That is where the money is. That is where the untapped "potential" exists. Not with existing members.

Think of a telco offering new customers great discounts and incentives to sign up but you, the long term customer continues to pay through the nose. Atleast with a telco you CAN defect to another one......

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I was there from Thurs to Sunday(today).I questioned the 2 michaels at one of the open forums about the breakdown between RAAUS, SAAA abd AOPA. They denied any culpability in it and I expressed my displeasure about the fighting and my scepticism about the Michaels innocence in it. I have both licences and I dont give a sausage about who does what. I want the 3 organisations to be co-operating so we can get real reform from CASA. I am considering standing for the next RAAUS board nomination on a dissenting ticket. I dont expect to win, but I think it is high time some displeasure is publicly expressed.

Did you question them about opposition to medical reform? I suspect our “esteemed” leadership has NO idea about the number of RPC holders who also hold part 61 licences (particularly RPCs). Australia wide I have no idea either, but locally I do, and it is reflective of no feedback from regional areas as one expects from Canberra centric individuals who oppose regional input - but that was forecast and now coming home to roost.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1