Airventure Australia 2018 Cessnock - Success or Not?

Roundsounds

I’d be curious to hear the opinions of pilots who flew in from the West. It looks to be tiger country. Is there any access that offers viable forced landing options at all times when flying into Cessnock from West of the ranges?

I flew in from Rylstone on Thursday morning (just before the deluge), having camped there overnight due to the strong westerlies on Wednesday and the one N/S strip at Cessnock. Yes, there is no way I'd want to be flying direct. As one local told me - there's good reason why it took 2 centuries to discover the Wollemi pine in that area! Tracking over the Northern end of the tiger country gives many opportunities to duck out down valleys running out to the North. After clearing the Dochra restricted area it's only a 10 nm run down to Cessnock. I reversed the route on Sunday to fly out via Mudgee. It's still a b...... long way from South Oz at 80-85 kts!

• Like 2

For those going west, there is a corridor between Denman and Mudgee. I traversed it yesterday at 6000ft and it was fine, but the weather was good. You would need at least 4500ft to attempt it.

IFGH (I follow Golden Highway)?

• Like 1

I fly the Bylong and Widden valley on a regular basis. There are strips at Jerry’s Planes, Widden and Bylong as well as paddocks in the valleys. You need to be able to always glide to a safe area to land. Stay high. The last bit near Rylstone is a bit trickey. Have to be conscious of which way to go if in trouble. Forward or back along the route.