CASA finds pilot responsible for Essendon crash

red750

CASA has determined that the crash of a KingAir into the DFO complex at Essendon was the result of the rudder trim being set to full left rudder at the time of takeoff. This should have been detected in the preflight checklist. The checklist should also have revealed that the cockpit voice recorder was not functioning.

Pilot error at fault in Essendon DFO plane crash, report finds

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CASA has determined that the crash of a KingAir into the DFO complex at Essendon was the result of the rudder trim being set to full left rudder at the time of takeoff. This should have been detected in the preflight checklist. The checklist should also have revealed that the cockpit voice recorder was not functioning.Pilot error at fault in Essendon DFO plane crash, report finds

We all knock the media when they report a "cessna" has crashed so perhaps RED you could edit the thread title. CASA haven't determined anything, the ATSB have.

• Agree 2

My apologies for the error. Unfortunately, I don't have authority to alter headings, and the post is more than 15 minutes old, so I cannot edit the post either. Should not have rushed into posting. 050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

• Like 1

I find it difficult to believe faced with a lot of control force required that the pilot would not have attempted to trim to reduce the pressure. It's the natural thing to do in those circumstances.... Trimming in the wrong direction??? Has been known to happen BUT?? The faster the airspeed the more the load on the pedals with incorrect trim. No mention of auto feather capability or how much power the engines were delivering on initial climb (such as it was). Nev

• Like 1

The way the plane burned and how much evidence was really left makes conjecture and a " best guess" the substantial part of this finding. Not surprised at the involvement of Lawyers who would have been waiting for an outcome. The passengers didn't do anything wrong. Photographs of the plane in the air and the position of the flight controls would have aided somewhat. (they are always useful). Early in the piece we knew both engines were turning . from images. Nev

The collar can not move the leadscrew, it's impossible.

I am saying that the rudder trim cable could have pulled on (rotated) the Jack screw during the crash sequence just as if the pilot was manipulating the control.

• Like 1

Well that didn't take long; widows of US golfers to sue just announced by Melbourne Herald Sun

Well theLawyers are going to find it a lot different to an American lawsuit.

Anyway, must be terrible for the families.

• Agree 1

I am saying that the rudder trim cable could have pulled on (rotated) the Jack screw during the crash sequence just as if the pilot was manipulating the control.

Appendix B in the report details the examination of the trim actuator. It seems they pretty thoroughly investigated this possibility.

I thought the amount of talking the pilot did on the radio when he could have been flying the plane was a problem. How were all those maydays going to help in that situation?

According to the timeline, the mayday calls were in the last 3.5 seconds before impact. I suspect the pilot had realized that the situation was unrecoverable.

Overall the report seems pretty good to me. Generally there are multiple pieces of evidence listed for the conclusions, and it avoids speculation where there is no evidence. They were probably very careful, knowing it was likely to be scrutinized by the lawyers.

Trim is there to remove the effort of holding the rudder against assymetric forces with engine failure .. The largest application of rudder is normally required at V1 plus when the plane is just able to be controlled by most of the rudder deflection. There is a limiting pressure required of the design which was about 200 Lbs rudder effort Maximum.. It's assumed you can hold this for a while but trim it out as you retract flap and increase speed. IF you can manage it do it then as It's certainly an effort, and something better to do without. Cleaned up and in cruise you need less trim. but slowing down If you need power to fly level you will need more trim. Just before the flare it's common to have the supporting pilot( PNF) centre the trim on command from the PF and call "trim centred". or the plane will tend to yaw the other way under the influence of the trim when power is removed on the good engine. Nev

I thought the amount of talking the pilot did on the radio when he could have been flying the plane was a problem. How were all those maydays going to help in that situation?

People can go totally irrational when facing certain death. I've heard some very bizarre 'mayday calls', one where the pilot just kept screaming "help help help" without ever releasing the button.

My thought: A group of guys over here on holiday. Plenty of yahooing. Hey! Let's mess with the knobs and buttons while the pilot is not looking at them.

Who was sitting in the front right hand seat? Was he a clown who decided to prank the pilot?

You can't prove otherwise.