Visualising wake turbulance

red750

It won't happen until the wing is actually lifting and that was shown there even when the plane was still on the ground where it still develops lift. Spanwise drifting of the air is normal and less in higher aspect ratio designs. It's inwards from the tips on the top surface and outwards on the bottom culminating with a vortex at the tips.

Heavier and slower planes will have more intense vortices, and are the ones to really avoid. When you hit your own slipstream in a steep turn it can be quite severe even in a normal Light Aircraft as the wings are at a higher angle of attack then.

The disturbance from a preceding aircraft can persist for quite a while but moves with the wind at the surface so will blow away with it. Calm conditions are more risky. Following an aircraft on exactly the same track can cause problems as your aircraft also might duplicate the other's climb profile or intercept it at times. Nev

When you hit your own slipstream in a steep turn it can be quite severe

Only had that happen once, in a Cherokee, while doing a BFR. Like hitting a large pothole at speed.

We used to use it as confirmation of accurate flying. I managed it on my F 27 conversion and it nearly went on it's back. Not real clever actually, but that;s how things were before simulators were doing the job a lot more safely. Nev

One of the videos presented at the end of the above video was this one from a vlog, where the pilot aborted a takeoff in a Cirrus at Moorabbin because as he accelerated down the runway, oil pressure climbed above the green arc. Long while since I last flew, but I thought there were some good lessons here. Also interesting for those who fly at uncontrolled airports to listen to radio procedures.

We used to use it as confirmation of accurate flying. I managed it on my F 27 conversion and it nearly went on it's back. Not real clever actually, but that;s how things were before simulators were doing the job a lot more safely. Nev

They used that method to teach you to fly a perfect 360 when I was learning. If you can feel your wake as you close the loop, you're good.