Light plane crashes west of Launceston, pilot taken to hospital with burns

That would have earned you a few hits on u tube!An old ag pilot mate advised me to always wear flying gloves. As a compromise for using the iPad, mine have two fingertips removed.

Sounds painful .... I usually wear Nomex/leather flying gloves and recently bought a couple of pair at Oshkosh which has the leather compatible with touchscreens - they are available in Australia too.
  • Informative 1

What batteries are being fitted that could be subject to thermal runaway? I was under the opinion that if they were using lithium batteries they would be lithium iron which are supposed to be unlikely to have this problem?

What batteries are being fitted that could be subject to thermal runaway? I was under the opinion that if they were using lithium batteries they would be lithium iron which are supposed to be unlikely to have this problem?

We don’t have any control over the type of batteries in our iPads and iPhones, etc.

The one that we had the experience with in the Bell 212 was a simple one of the era - certainly not a lithium based one or it would have been much less heavy - sorry, I don't recall the chemistry though. The charging control system had failed, providing full charging current (about 70A) even though the battery had been fully charged for a couple of hours.

• Informative 1

I wouldn't of thought I phone or Ipad would be such an issue as it would be quick to disconnect from charge source and at worse toss out? I am only asking as I have an interest in a lithium iron battery for a project but want to be 100 % its safe!

I wouldn't of thought I phone or Ipad would be such an issue as it would be quick to disconnect from charge source and at worse toss out? I am only asking as I have an interest in a lithium iron battery for a project but want to be 100 % its safe!

Have a look at a few videos and you’ll see you won’t even have time to throw out a phone let alone pick up the fireball.

• Like 1

We’re assured that LiFePO4 batteries won’t/can’t burn;

I’m depending on that, because I replaced my lead battery with one.

• Like 1

I am only asking as I have an interest in a lithium iron battery for a project but want to be 100 % its safe!

I think it is more how a battery is treated rather than the batttery itself most times.

Charging system, over/under charge (not compatible with batt?). Charging system failure. Excessive discharge voltage. Excessive rate of discharge. Size (amps/CCA) How hard is it going to work?. Temps (near engine exhaust?). Loading (cable size, lugs/voltage drop?).

• Like 1

Does anyone know how our Man is faring? Nev

Last update I can find on ABC site was from Tuesday. In that it said he was still in a coma but his condition was improving. Several operations planned which will see his condition fluctuate, which is expected.

• Like 1

I think it is more how a battery is treated rather than the batttery itself most times.Charging system, over/under charge (not compatible with batt?). Charging system failure. Excessive discharge voltage. Excessive rate of discharge. Size (amps/CCA) How hard is it going to work?. Temps (near engine exhaust?). Loading (cable size, lugs/voltage drop?).

I’ve got a Piper J3 Cub, no batteries to worry about.

• Like 2