Accident and defect

Yenn

I practice Airmanship.

"If you genuinely practice airmanship you are less likely ever to be caught up in one of these discussions".

No licence,

No insurance,

No registration,

No landing fees,

Just sit in the pilots seat, rev up to takeoff rev's touch the joystick rearwards a little, Close eye's AND 

AWAY WE GO .

spacesailor

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I practice Airmanship.

"If you genuinely practice airmanship you are less likely ever to be caught up in one of these discussions".

No licence,

No insurance,

No registration,

No landing fees,

Just sit in the pilots seat, rev up to takeoff rev's touch the joystick rearwards a little, Close eye's AND 

AWAY WE GO .

spacesailor

We'd just bring along a dog chain and tie you to a tree until CASA went home Space.

Turbs 

Should I have done an Accident Report When the DeckChair Fell onto my prop & caused a broken deckchair & prop ?. LoL

spacesailor

I'm taking it that you are just having fun, but if the question was serious and something hit the prop, yes you should have, followed by a prop inspection and possible engine tear down.

That would be airmanship.

However, as much fun as it might be baiting people on social media, that information stays around forever, and could come back to bite you if you do have an accident.

Not necessarily fun.

I failed my Basic air exam, was told I'm wasting the CFI's time & my money.

So I'm back to being a dreamer of a pilot. 

When the prop shattered I put a Gauge on the hub to check for problems (not out of round), replaced the prop remains, with my next home made prop,  

restarted and gingerly did my test run (success). Home made prop is lighter than commercial and splintered into a shower of shards (less torque damage to motor).

I really miss being a real airman, as I didn't think my practical flying was BAD. 

Big problem is No education in formative years & easily depressed by any knockback, plus the worst memory you could live with.

And I love this forum & Your contribution too , So many thanks to you & All who allow me to be here.

spacesailor

• Like 1

Wooden props have a much less effect on the engine, when they hit something. That's why they were put on some Russian Trainers. Forget to lower the wheels? . Ok just fit another prop and away we go. Nev

• Like 1

Wooden props have a much less effect on the engine, when they hit something. That's why they were put on some Russian Trainers. Forget to lower the wheels? . Ok just fit another prop and away we go. Nev

There are specific instructions re high/low power & amount of damage specially laid out (at least for Jabiru aircraft) in the overhaul manual.  Any high power or damage in excess of about 3 inches (from memory) off the tip means a bulk strip although costs are not as frightening as for Lyc & Cont.

I have no knowledge about Rotax.

Home built 95-10 ,

With a 1/2 VW motor And home made wooden prop.

Should be Home maintenance, (or they may find annoying engine parts not to their liking).

Can register it as VH experimental or RAA 95-19 , ( I don't know were that would leave my maintenance).

Would be unwise to "truck" an aircraft fuselage & engine some were to have a Licenced mechanic  do the same check as I do anyway. (probably ask for the OTHER two cylinder's)

NOT that broken VW motor's are New.

glad I run a filter as an oil cooler.

spacesailor

fourPot.jpg.013d857808d298a259bcbcf3fcaae507.jpg

Just to clarify my comment on the wood prop. I asked a knowledgeable LAME ( must be about 40 years ago now) why a particular prop was  such an ugly blade shape on a Russian /Chinese radial and was informed  that it allowed the actions I mentioned.. It was an inflight adjustable or a C/S prop and you could just change one wood blade if only one was involved or both. Generally there are different procedures for wooden and metal props where an engine has optional fitment  with varying installations. I think in the case of a certain DeHavilland motor the wooden one only required a flange runout check. be done initially if that was in tolerance that was enough. with the metal prop it was a stripdown  even if the runout was OK. You do what the maker says. Engines also have overspeeding limits that should be adhered to as well and "don't use ". engine rpm ranges . I never advocate doing what's outside the makers advice. in such matter s as that material has legal standing.  Nev.

THOUGHT 

I'll show the pictures of my mishap !.

I did at one stage have it all safely stowed, but things get moved around And then the S hits the fan !.

spaesailor

[ATTACH]38310[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38311[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38312[/ATTACH]

If it’s 95.10 reg you can maintain it yourself. You can modify it yourself but RAAus have to review it if they class it as major mod due to fabulous empire building by current tech lunatics. 

If its 95.55 home build with 19- reg then as a builder you can do your own maintenance and mods exactly the same as 95.10 reg.

if you bought it already reg then the empire building by tech office kicks you in the teeth more than a builder ... chat to tech office  because I can’t be arsed trying to keep up with areas that do not apply to me that are way too GA for me

The  style of  practical and simple  build ,repair  and operation we had with some types is Slipping away..  Abandon all hope ye who enter here.. Instead of education and knowledge we get rules and inspections by fairly unqualified people and exams you learn how to pass but don't  really know the subject.. Can the blind  lead the blind?. Let those who want  and NEED  it buy off the hook  but if we stifle innovation we have lost the essence of the old(er) AUF.  Nev

• Agree 1

If it’s 95.10 reg you can maintain it yourself. You can modify it yourself but RAAus have to review it if they class it as major mod due to fabulous empire building by current tech lunatics. 

If its 95.55 home build with 19- reg then as a builder you can do your own maintenance and mods exactly the same as 95.10 reg.

if you bought it already reg then the empire building by tech office kicks you in the teeth more than a builder ... chat to tech office  because I can’t be arsed trying to keep up with areas that do not apply to me that are way too GA for me

His aircraft is a Hummelbird which flies elsewhere in the world, but seems to have slipped between the cracks here. From what I’ve been reading it’s been shedded for some time now despite Space’s efforts to get it registered. It looks to me like he’s been walked over by RAA and could do with a mentor to help him into the air.

• Like 1

Thanks Turb's

Any rich old ladies ?.

Any one with Spare Memory chips? . (I need a couple  for my brain( always blamed the Opiates the hospital gave me in the 40's but now they say it's head trauma (concussion))

Had lots of head bashing from the teacher's trying to instill some Education, Had a 14 day sleep once and lost three months memory before the event then loosing day ( wake up missing the previous day's memory, or two/three !. no primary ed makes the teacher's when 10yo. blow their cool super quick.

So back to school is (lost word for "frightening the sheeet out of me" 

" and exams you learn how to pass but don't  really know the subject.. "

NEVER EVER PAST AN EXAM, not even my driving licence, (didn't get my name right, Examiner after telling me Failed verbally gave me more questions then said "PASS".

LOVE this country. ( won't happen with this new computer testing.)

spacesailor

• 2 weeks later...

The reporting goes on, but no details and once again I think they have reported the same incident with 2 different planes.

I really cannot see how we can be having all these incidents, because according to the RAAus site we have flown a total of 2519.1 hours and that is 0.26 hours per pilot in a year. Their numbers, not mine.

As we have 3365 aircraft according to them, that equates to 0.75 hours per plane. We also have 9668 pilots flying those 2519.1 hours, which means 3.83 hours per pilot.

If RAAus cannot put in the correct figures, or even see that they are obviously incorrect, plus they cannot bring the incident reports into any semblance of sense, how can they be contributing to safe flying.

I know I should talk to them about this, but it is a complete waste of time.

The reporting goes on, but no details and once again I think they have reported the same incident with 2 different planes.

I really cannot see how we can be having all these incidents, because according to the RAAus site we have flown a total of 2519.1 hours and that is 0.26 hours per pilot in a year. Their numbers, not mine.

As we have 3365 aircraft according to them, that equates to 0.75 hours per plane. We also have 9668 pilots flying those 2519.1 hours, which means 3.83 hours per pilot.

If RAAus cannot put in the correct figures, or even see that they are obviously incorrect, plus they cannot bring the incident reports into any semblance of sense, how can they be contributing to safe flying.

I know I should talk to them about this, but it is a complete waste of time.

2519.1 hours flown for the first 17? Days of 2019 is only going to be 54,086 hours for the full year, so get out and start flying you slackers

• 1 month later...

The Raa accident and incident reports for Feb 2019 are providing a little more detail than usual.

This one is about a Thruster t500.

During dual TW instruction, after completing some taxiing runs along the RWY the controls were operating normally and decision was made to take off. Full power was applied, a little forward elevator control was applied and the TW left the ground. Then a little up elevator was applied and the aircraft left the ground. It reached an altitude of a couple hundred feet and an airspeed of 30 knots. No excessive elevator control was applied. The aircraft then suddenly began to lose altitude with no change in the engine noise. The student released the control column and the CFI took over maintaining a straight line ahead. The aircraft narrowly flew over a fence and a road and nosed down into a paddock just outside the airfield.

All I can say is WTF

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

The Raa accident and incident reports for Feb 2019 are providing a little more detail than usual.

This one is about a Thruster t500.

During dual TW instruction, after completing some taxiing runs along the RWY the controls were operating normally and decision was made to take off. Full power was applied, a little forward elevator control was applied and the TW left the ground. Then a little up elevator was applied and the aircraft left the ground. It reached an altitude of a couple hundred feet and an airspeed of 30 knots. No excessive elevator control was applied. The aircraft then suddenly began to lose altitude with no change in the engine noise. The student released the control column and the CFI took over maintaining a straight line ahead. The aircraft narrowly flew over a fence and a road and nosed down into a paddock just outside the airfield.

All I can say is WTF

Would have to agree with WTF ... 30kts as a climb out speed ?

• Winner 1

I agree the aircraft probably stalled, at 200' ? This is how people die. The Thruster is very forgiving but it just takes that bit of gust to stall one wing a bit deeper and no correction, the end.  

• Like 1

As Facthunter said, they don't like advice from out of the ranks. It was ever so... once on a sailing ship fleet, a bit lost, a sailor from the ranks dared to say that he calculated they would be wrecked on the Scilly Isles if they didn't alter course. Well he was immediately hung, but he only lost a few hours because the rest all drowned when they were  wrecked on the Scilly Isles.

I think we do a bit better now, but those forces still operate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

NO we don't !

Not that long ago , a Australian royal navy Person was chastised to keep on the heading Ordered,!.  even when In-sight of the rocks they eventually HIT.

All nicely hushed up at the hearing, OR court-martialing.

(Lord-Howe Island or somewhere close by).

spacesailor

I too am guilty, When ORDERED by my very first car driving instructor, I Never even queried  " Drive straight through the roundabout"

DUMB Dumb

spacesailor

As Facthunter said, they don't like advice from out of the ranks. It was ever so... once on a sailing ship fleet, a bit lost, a sailor from the ranks dared to say that he calculated they would be wrecked on the Scilly Isles if they didn't alter course. Well he was immediately hung, but he only lost a few hours because the rest all drowned when they were  wrecked on the Scilly Isles.

I think we do a bit better now, but those forces still operate.

I think that was the incident that led to the demand for a chronometer, which sparked a fight between John Harrison and one of my ancestors.

• 1 year later...

I just renewed my rego for the Corby and while I was on the RAAus site I thought I would look at the accident statistics reported.

8 reported this month with absolutely no details.

An interesting one this month made me wonder.

An Evector Sportstar had a partial engine failure. Managed to land safely off field and checked engine. Nothing found, so pilot overnighted and continued on way next morning.

What I wonder is what caused the partial engine failure? Has RAAus looked into it? Was it a good decision to continue, with an engine which had partially failed without a known reason? Did the pilot have an idea of what the reason was and if so why wasn't it in the report.

I have an idea of what the reason could be, but was it correctly handled and reported?