RA-Aus pilot allowed to use GA Lane through R421A?

barryco

Hi

I'm trying to work out if a pilot with RPC can use the GA lane to traverse the Kiama to Ulladulla route through R421A.

ERSA says you need to get a clearance from Nowra Delivery (ACD) on 128.35 before entering the space and ideally you should have a flight plan submitted.

Does this constitute some form of CTA therefore no RA-AUS?

Thanks!

Barry

I'll qualify my comments, that I don't pretend to be an expert, but the way I interpret things, is that the VFR transit lane falls within G airspace and is therefore accessible to all aircraft.  BUT, it falls within a restricted (R1 area). When the area is not active, transit is allowed.  When active, the military may grant access, provided you seek approval as per the ERSA and conditions are VFR, not SVFR, or IFR. Submitting a flight plan may help. Cheers 

I'm a PPL that has never flown thru R421A, but if I was doing it for the first time I would study ERSA to know the requirements , arrive at the first point of contact, make the call, there is zero requirement to have a flight plan in place. If you can talk the talk it would  be A case of  "catch me if you can" .  

4.1 of the ERSA entry for YSNW, which discusses the need to get a clearance, makes no mention of R421A needing to be active....just that you have to get a clearance to enter or transit.

It also mentions a mysterious SSR (Secondary Surveillance Radar) code being issued as well as the clearance which I assume means you need a transponder which many (most?) RA-Aus registered aircraft don't have.

So....has anyone flown through this in an RA-AUS registered plane?

Maybe I need to just call them.

Cheers

Barry

Why not call Nowra Ops and ask them? you may actually find the airspace inactive at the time you want to transit.

The military ops guys are usually friendly and very helpful.

According to ERSA, Nowra ATIS is 125.65 and the duty officer can be contacted on 0411 127 367.

As Nowra is a training base, they usually have set hours of operation, but can vary. ATIS will tell you when the restricted area is deactivated and when it will activate next, but if it's active it's best to phone as ATIS doesn't tell you when it will deactivate while it's active.

Barry,

Military Airspace when active is still controlled airspace. (see references quoted by ARO)

So RA-AUS RPC only - No Go.

RA-AUS aircraft and current PPL - Maybe.

Aircraft must meet the requirements and PPL must have the airspace endorsements.

R421 usually closes 12:30 Friday through to Monday morning, so is available to RA-AUS aircraft and pilots. Note that R453 is often still active on weekends, even when R421 is de-active.

Barry,

Military Airspace when active is still controlled airspace. (see references quoted by ARO)

Aircraft must meet the requirements and PPL must have the airspace endorsements.

R421 usually closes 12:30 Friday through to Monday morning, so is available to RA-AUS aircraft and pilots. Note that R453 is often still active on weekends, even when R421 is de-active.

Thanks Bruce.  So, subject to NOTAMS and R421A being in active, weekend should generally be OK for RA-Aus pilots.  Excellent.

Barry,

Active Mil airspace is Class C equivalent and therefore requires that the PIC has a medical and Class C endo and the plane has a transponder - not sure about TSO.

A great trip and good scenery.