Taralga-Garthawa airstrip

alf jessup

Hi all,

Anyone on here know anything about Taralga-Garthawa airfield about 30nm NW of Goulburn in NSW?

I was googling airstrips near Taralga and a country airstrips guide site said there was one about 8-10 miles NW of Tralaga.

google mapped the location but couldn’t see any markings or cones.

Wife has just got back from a 18 day China tour/ 5 day cruise of Japan and met a lovely couple From Tralaga on it and has now a (new bestie) .

2 3/4 hr flight from home is better than a 8 hr drive.

Any info/contact number would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alf

I was flying over Taralga a few months ago with my CFI from The Oaks who knows the area like the back of his hand and when I asked him about it he joked and said "I know it is supposed to be there near the town but I have never seen it...."

I was flying over Taralga a few months ago with my CFI from The Oaks who knows the area like the back of his hand and when I asked him about it he joked and said "I know it is supposed to be there near the town but I have never seen it...."

barryco

Cheers for that

Going by the map it is NW of the town near Curraweela

It is in the middle of this map apparently running north from the White House/shed about 11 km north of Taralga

C6A6746E-8CF8-4AA1-BCF7-45E883615304.thumb.png.9dc8b1e65f4b3c4e97f4ebb088672dee.png

There are two strips shown on six maps  maps.six.nsw.gov.au  5 km north of burra burra  lake. They may just be old  ag strips. Six maps has tools for measuring, use basemaps button to toggle between map or satellite   

Tried to find it a few years ago, does not exist as a usable strip.   Nearest would be goulburn or a private unlisted strip.

Was thinking that,

Hopefully my wife’s new bestie who has live all her life in Taralga knows someone with a private strip we can use.

Thinking I would enjoy the fly more than the drive.

i have heard Goulburn is a bit of an issue these days now that it is privately owned. Looked on Oz Runways and it was saying the bitumen strip is not allowed to be used on weekends for aircraft under 650kg

Was thinking that,

Hopefully my wife’s new bestie who has live all her life in Taralga knows someone with a private strip we can use.

i have heard Goulburn is a bit of an issue these days now that it is privately owned. Looked on Oz Runways and it was saying the bitumen strip is not allowed to be used on weekends for aircraft under 650kg

Alf

I'm based now in Goulburn. Give John Ferrara, the owner (mentioned in the ERSA) a call. The rule seems to have been relaxed in recent times. His biggest concern is the mix of light aircraft with a parachute operation that can be intensive at times. A briefing is what I got and now operate most weekends with a VH registered Varieze.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I’m not GA, just thought it odd that under 650kg couldn’t land on the bitumen strip on weekends. Wasn’t feeling the love.

No love involved, purely money.   Long history since the purchase of the airport with battles with owners and pilots.   

Was thinking that,

Alf, the crookwell strip is good and closer.   Just remember it can be a one way strip depending on the wind.   Nice grass cover and very long.   Designed for fire fighting etc.   Could very well be an option. 

Alf, the crookwell strip is good and closer.   Just remember it can be a one way strip depending on the wind.   Nice grass cover and very long.   Designed for fire fighting etc.   Could very well be an option. 

Thanks robinsm,

Crookwell it will most likely be I think when the time comes.

Cheers

Alf

• Like 1

• 3 months later...