RAAus to disclose member details

KRviator

The Board are not interested in listening to the Members views and when challenged tell a convenient truth. 

Member access to RA Aus Member Services, has now been restricted  to Monday, |Wednesday & Friday (3 days a week),  down from 4.5 days a week,who was consulted?

Members need to raise a vote of no confidence in the CEO.

Other staff who are followers of the CEO, including the people manager ie the smooth talker that tells us the convenient truth, must provide a higher level of Member Service.

Just for interest,where does all the GST,Fuel Levies and Fuel Excise on Avgas get spent.I submit that we pay our way.

Last I heard it went into general revenue, and we certainly are reamed out on fuel in Australia, but this thread is about airfield operators charging landing fees, using radio to identify the aircraft landing, which then identifies the owner's name and address if the aircraft is registered VH, and in this thread specifically the decision of RAA to release the names and addresses of owners of RA registered aircraft, so what we pay in fuel taxes is not related to what we pay an individual organisation for using their airfield.

• Agree 2

As mentioned above, through paying my taxes I helped to pay for our airport.

Under the ALOP program the airport was gifted to the Local Council.

We pay rent to the Hangar owner, who pays Rates to the Council!

But we do not see any return to the Airport Owner (Council) from the Fuel Taxes on Avgas we purchase on the airport.

The tax monies garnered from aviation fuel taxes, do not go to airport owners or operators. Virtually all fuel taxes collected on aviation go to ASA and CASA.

The report below, despite being over 20 yrs old, shows the fuel taxing regime within Australia. Not much has changed in 20 yrs, only the amount (in cents) collected.

In particular, Figure 1 is a clear outline of revenues and returns to the varied parties.

TAXES AND CHARGES IN AUSTRALIAN TRANSPORT: A TRANSMODAL OVERVIEW

Fuel Taxes are collected by the Federal Government and are supposed to be shared back to Airport Owners/Operators to help in maintaining their Airports.  

That's what should happen, but the taxes just go into general revenue.

Back to the core issue of RAAus disclosing private information collected legitimately for one purpose to a third party for a different and unrelated purpose without consent of the individuals ... Comminwealth Privacy Act - not legit for the purpose Mr Monke put in the magazine. 

So if RAAus are covered by the act the directors might like to gird their loins for answering the questions that will come from Office of the Australian Information  Commissioner. 

They may may not have $3m of turnover to bring them within last year but once it does they are within ... and arguably the payments from CASA being them within the Act even when turnover is under $3 m.  

And yes Mr Monke. I am one member - or client as I’m referred to in your policies - who is more than a little angry.  

And given im just out of hospital after a car crash I’m stuck twiddling my thumbs looking for things to do for a couple of months and pi$$ed off with RAAus big time now. 

• Like 3

Having just been shown a copy (as I no longer receive it myself) of M.Monk’s editorial in the current magazine which caused a bit of mirth, at least locally, normal irrelevant stuff until the last couple of paragraphs - it would be ironic if 4 board members throw him out after the mini non representative board was his (and a couple of others) claim to fame in order to gain autocratic control of RAA.  There might be some light at the end of the tunnel after all, if they go through with it.  

Shades of the Rudd & Turnbull saga just up the road.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

had reply from CEO, yes its happening

feels we should all pay our way but doesnt think councils should charge fees?????

no deal with avdata just AAA, 340 members, website wont allow members identities to be seen for privacy

Says tight rules on what released data to be used for

re cta deal, 75% of 1400 members surveyed supported cta access

fees issue has been discussed at 20 meetings/events and supported

website wont allow members identities to be seen for privacy

Says tight rules on what released data to be used for

re cta deal, 75% of 1400 members surveyed supported cta access

1400???????   Wonder how they were selected!!  We had a survey.....trust me.

Your details are private BUT ......... just trust me, typical politician style answer.   

I just hope EVERYONE thinks seriously about where we are heading with approach.

Certainly not unexpected by some.

Has the CEO got Board Approval to give access to Members details??

If so, with current Board's approach to managing the organisation, in which case there does not appear to be a clear runway ahead for Members to make a good landing!

It seems balck and white to me. Either the RAA retains your details exclusively, and they remain PRIVATE.

Or they give them out, and so are NO LONGER PRIVATE. 

There is no wishy washy mix of the two.....

Thinking about this current situation of RAAus handing over our privacy with our consent.

I  am wonder what others are thinking - to me the members are too quiet or have they given up?

The other important issue - I am wondering are all audit results released?

It is an important governance issue that members get a hear about the results of the audits.

Being honest and transparent I think would cover the thoughts.

We have all heard, "All done in secret". Could still be the case.

KP

What audits are you talking about?

Well I did get a written response from Mr Monk to my two direct questions of date of agreement with AAA and when was data first shared.  It was not marked private or confidential so here it is:

"At this stage RAAus has not made a formal comment or officially published anything to members on this matter.

We continue to work with the AAA on this matter.

The article you read was a draft and was not intended for publication.  It has since been removed.

At this stage no information has been shared.

Thanks

Michael"

draw your own conclusions/speculate as to how the member response has gone down with the board.

• Like 1

Well I did get a written response from Mr Monk to my two direct questions of date of agreement with AAA and when was data first shared.  It was not marked private or confidential so here it is:

"At this stage RAAus has not made a formal comment or officially published anything to members on this matter.

We continue to work with the AAA on this matter.

The article you read was a draft and was not intended for publication.  It has since been removed.

At this stage no information has been shared.

Thanks

Michael"

draw your own conclusions/speculate as to how the member response has gone down with the board.

We'll, to be fair, if it is a draft, it wouldn't be the first time that someone bugled a draft to the world as fact.

A draft is a draft is a draft, and has no consequence.

It was produced within a company, so would not be expected to be even mentioned to shareholders. Company employees produce hundreds of thousands of drafts a day that never go anywhere.

Similarly, there's nothing to stop an employee, or director chewing the fat over any issue with anyone as long as it doesn't imply an approval.

So it looks like a storm in a teacup.

However,

How much better would it look if a President said to the Members, "We're looking at disclosing your private details to airfields on request for x reason; what are your thoughts please?"

Remember, you voted (or didn't vote) for that structure to be abandoned.

• Like 1

Turbo,

I would accept that drafts get written all the time within companies for proposals and were that the case I would understand ... however the best we can see from this is that it is a draft final communication for post agreement communication and it is evident on the face of his words as they appear in the magazine they know how unpopular this will be  - not a draft of a possible but a draft of post execution with complete clear expectation of unhappiness.

And yes, I was one very vocal opponent to the structure change in RAAus for pretty much every reason that has appeared to be an issue over the past years since the change.

Turbo,

I would accept that drafts get written all the time within companies for proposals and were that the case I would understand ... however the best we can see from this is that it is a draft final communication for post agreement communication and it is evident on the face of his words as they appear in the magazine they know how unpopular this will be  - not a draft of a possible but a draft of post execution with complete clear expectation of unhappiness.

And yes, I was one very vocal opponent to the structure change in RAAus for pretty much every reason that has appeared to be an issue over the past years since the change.

Yes, you were the one who saw it first and most clearly. I hope it wasn’t as you say, because I doubt that would be a legal draft.