Drones again

Saw this signage recently in Italy.  Popular tourist area with steep slopes covered in dwellings. Was told it had more to do with 'invasion -of-privacy' concerns as the paparazzi in Europe are noted for their blatant trespassing. 1715437852_dronesignage-2.thumb.jpg.e93c8b73026b7051d70880f13f93de07.jpg

As at 11 pm Thursday, (Melbourne time), Gatwick Airport has been closed for 14 hours due to drones flying in the area, disrupting Christmas flights for thousands of travellers. Flights diverting as far away as Amsterdam.

Something will be done eventually that's for sure. Personally if one comes snooping around I reckon you should have the ufettered right to down it with a shotgun.  a shang hi or a raygun whatever you have. . Quality of life is an issue with invasive things like these . Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Personally if one comes snooping around I reckon you should have the unfettered right to down it with a shotgun

Sorry Nev, doing that involves "the discharge of a firearm in built-up areas", and "destroying personal property", resulting in you doing the time, rather than the annoying drone owner.

The problem is that many of the drone owners today are involved in the real estate industry and building industry, so how do you know the drone you just shot down is actually spying on you, or just carrying out legal commercial activity?

Drones are used for property advertising and property inspection, offering substantial marketing advantages, and cost savings in building maintenance and inspection. 

The distinction the law makes is "private activities" whereby one is reasonably assured of personal privacy, and "public activities", whereby one has no assurance of personal privacy.

I guess the major problem today is the ever-increasing invasion of our "personal space", with CCTV, facial-recognition tracking, drones, and even cameras on satellites.

I don't think this trend will change anytime soon, and I believe it can only get worse.

In essence, if you suspect you're being snooped on, on your own property, there is little you can do immediately, except close blinds, curtains or shutters.

The cameras on all but the high-end drones, are still relatively low-level resolution.

Just buy a good quality drone & ALL the crystals (used to be called), Don't fly your drone swap crystals until you interfere and control THEIR drone.

See how long you can keep their invasive machine under control before they get annoyed & run away.

spacesailor

Sorry spacesailer but crystals havent been used in quality rc units for nearly 10 years. Its all 2.4ghz now and with the thousands of freq combinations you would never interfere with them.

Local model aero-club has air-field down the street, & have meeting's & fly on sundays. (weather permitting).

Electric only I believe. some times have two or three planes aloft at once, all transmitters have different colored indicators (flags).

spacesailor

Sorry space, those guys are right and you are years out of date. Radio control units now use mobile phone technology . It's a bit like the transmitter rings up the receiver and sends it a message thousands of times a second.

The flags on their transmitters these days are usually only for wind direction but also some electric clubs still do dogfights with streamers and the aircraft streamer matches the transmitter colours. Fm and Am radios using crystals have been banned in model aircraft for over 6 yrs

Ha ha...brought back memories of slipping my little blue plastic card into the correct frequency (36mhz?) on the board so no one else could use it.

And waiting impatiently if others were using my frequencies (I had 3 sets of crystals) hoping the wind wouldnt pick up....lol...

• Agree 1

Fm and Am radios using crystals have been banned in model aircraft for over 6 yrs

It took me years to save up the money to buy my first Hitec radio. Hundreds of dollars. Now I can buy an RTF plane with 2.4GHz transmitter for about $150.

What do I do with the 28 (?) and 36 units I have in a box? I suppose that since no one uses them these days, I can go to my nearby slope and fly using them without fear of interference from 2.4GHz users. That's if all the grey-tiled roofs of the houses built across the valley floor and to the foot of the slope haven't ruined the original uplift pattern.

Sorry space, those guys are right and you are years out of date. Radio control units now use mobile phone technology . It's a bit like the transmitter rings up the receiver and sends it a message thousands of times a second.

2.4Ghz is the unregulated spectrum used primarily for WIFI

What do I do with the 28 (?) and 36 units I have in a box? 

I changed my JR, 36 to 2.4 with a hack module..... back in the day.

Hobbyking had 2.4 transmitters for about $30 last time I looked so probably not even worth converting these days...

Just keep them as is, in the box and they'll become rare collectors items one day?

A quick search says $85M for an F-35 and $16.9M for a Reaper.....Military drones aren't cheap toys.

Yes there are cheaper ones, but even the Reaper's weapons load is limited compared to most manned aircraft.

• Like 1

There's still a lot to be said for a potent fighter aircraft to suddenly pop over the horizon at near-missile speed, and catch unsuspecting enemy unprepared, with a load of red-hot exploding shrapnel.

But what would the American Military-Industrial Complex, do then? And have you ever contemplated the effect on the American economy?? The last thing we want, is boatloads of broke Americans turning up on our shores! ?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1