How am I still flying?

Kenlsa

Hi all, just musing over the topics of the last few years with some more depressing than others.

I fly a SP 500 Jab, that I built and maintain myself but I am lead to believe that;

My engine will fail and CASA confirms this.

I have to inform my passenger that we might crash and get them to sign off on it.

I did not put photos of the right hand side of my plane grounding me for a few weeks, thanks RAAus.

I don't fly a tail dragger so I am not a proper pilot.

I have to fly 760kg so I can have 8 hours of fuel and every IFR instrument available.

I live in the Stone Age as I have steam instruments, even though most of you with flying flat screens still run steam coz you really don't trust them.

I don't know what a Jacobs Flair is...I just land it (how have I managed so far?)

Now I read that I am probably using the wrong grease in my bearings, great.

At least most of you agree that when my steam gauges fail me causing my engine to also fail, and I glance to my right and I confirm that my pax did sign the release to fly with White Knuckle Airlines, my Jabby airframe will save us! At least that is something positive.

How ever have I managed so far?

Ken

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 3
  • Winner 2

I flew circuits yesterday. Landed no flaps, full flaps, dead stick, short field and a few others. Usually the adjudicators in the clubhouse give you a mark out of 10 but I think they were dumbfounded and thought this bloke hasn’t got a clue. Nothing was said.

Ken, you've obviously "managed" to survive because you're one of the luckiest blokes around - or else you're a brilliant manager!  012_thumb_up.gif.83e1b5422694a022eec36e1e8343f687.gif

It's all about managing the risks, isn't it? Just keep reminding the "strict rule followers", the quaking pax, the nervous nellies, and the nosey inspectors, about the 100 times sudden death risk level, involved in just driving to the airfield!  003_cheezy_grin.gif.045ea30218c055c2781fc6f7d18be527.gif

I can't fly my RV. CASA has had my RAMPC medical certificate from the doctor for 26 days and after two phone calls from me, when they told me it was being allotted to someone at day 15 and they would try to expedite it on day 23, still no approval.

All OK though I can still fly the Corby, having just paid $254 for membership.

Maybe it is time to say it is all just too much trouble.

That would make CASA happy.

Bummer. I only got 34 flights in the last year on the Corby.

I have emailed CASA for a response. they say they will respond in due course. That is what they said a month ago and they seem to have gone off course. Of course.

To: Kenlsa and other's. 

You made me smile, thank's, l needed that.

CASA,

(Cretins Against Sensible Avation)

Will always win while we let them, and  RAAus tell us they are making beneficial changes to recreational flying (at a snail's pace and a price)

But for the last 20 the RAAus as far as l can see have only spent our money on silk sheets, and still go down on their knees to CASA. 

I would have liked to go to Avalon this year but first need to be briefed by a CFI, register an accurate arrival time and ditch my life jacket fly with just enough fuel to meet my 600 kg MTOW.

A phone call to the RAAus office on a bother matter informed me that the new weight increase had been approved and was on the desk at CASA waiting to be signed off.

This was NOT true, but should have been.

So I'll saddle up for a trip to Cooper Pedy instead.

So instead I'll just ignore the bull $#! ¥ an just do my own thing, and if everyone else united and put the pressure on the establishment we might just possibly make a change.

But that will never happen. 

I think it will just get too expensive and too political in the future to fly for enjoyment.

Check out the link below,  looks like another site to advertise a plane, but some of it's in a foreign language and Richard doesn't like to make a phone call.

http://www.aircraft4sale.com.au/

• Like 1

IF you are enjoying your flying  let us know. You can be  assured we constantly actively pursue  our  time honored goals and will direct all our energies to rectifying your problem  quickly.  SAFE SKIES..             From WAT. (We At CASA).

"  IF you are enjoying your flying  let us know. You can be  assured we constantly actively pursue  our  time honored goals"

NO

If you get rid of that "Wing loading rule" I & possible a dozen other's could start to pay RAA contributions.

We all started out looking at other HummelBirds's flying, With legal registration, only to be told After the fact of build start, that we are now Illegal.

You are fighting "tooth & nail" to get exemptions to the Weight increase, but nothing for 95-10 registration.

spacesailor

"  IF you are enjoying your flying  let us know. You can be  assured we constantly actively pursue  our  time honored goals"

NO

If you get rid of that "Wing loading rule" I & possible a dozen other's could start to pay RAA contributions.

We all started out looking at other HummelBirds's flying, With legal registration, only to be told After the fact of build start, that we are now Illegal.

You are fighting "tooth & nail" to get exemptions to the Weight increase, but nothing for 95-10 registration.

spacesailor

Question -  WHAT stops a hunmelbitd being registered with RAAus as a 95.55 airframe with 19- rego?

Answer - NOTHING

the wing load restrictions on 95.10 means you can’t tet 10- reg in the side but the Hummelbird design absolutely can be built and reg as an Australian ultralight and HAS been able to for the past 21 years.  

There were  8 years in the early 1990’s when they were a stuck design ... but come on spacesailor it was fixed 21 years ago.   

• Winner 3

Question -  WHAT stops a hunmelbitd being registered with RAAus as a 95.55 airframe with 19- rego?

Answer - NOTHING

the wing load restrictions on 95.10 means you can’t tet 10- reg in the side but the Hummelbird design absolutely can be built and reg as an Australian ultralight and HAS been able to for the past 21 years.  

There were  8 years in the early 1990’s when they were a stuck design ... but come on spacesailor it was fixed 21 years ago.   

Spacesailor, what Kasper has said means you may be able to go flying after all.  Maybe it's just been the paperwork, and saying the exact right words in the past that has allowed this thing to go on and on without a resolution. Do you have someone in your area familiar with the RAA paperwork trail who could help you put your case to RAA?

Spacesailor, what Kasper has said means you may be able to go flying after all.  Maybe it's just been the paperwork, and saying the exact right words in the past that has allowed this thing to go on and on without a resolution. Do you have someone in your area familiar with the RAA paperwork trail who could help you put your case to RAA?

If it’s paoerwork only I’d do it for him.  All he needs is an L4 or L2 to do the final inspection - if his build goes back as far as o know it dies it’s grandfathered in and will not need 4 stage inspections. - so it’s just 4 paperwork bits to be completed.  Applying for a number A weighing .  A data pack and pics is another and the final inspection overseen by either an l4 or an approved l2. 

He he appears to be down in Sydney so there are several l4s available so it’s up to him. 

Soavesailor - open offer.  I’ll come down to Sydney one weekend and bring all the paperwork RAAus require.  You have an airframe and all your paperwork and history available and I’ll fill it all out with you.  I’ll talk to RAAus if you want and then you’re only up for an l4 inspection and the RAAus fees and you will be up to test flying.

Cant offer better than that.  

• Helpful 1
  • Winner 2

it’s grandfathered in"

No, as it was NOT flying, it can't be grandfathered.

Registration number's were issued.  affixed and stamped all over the aircraft parts. Data pack was paid for, The final inspection was when told. NO GOOD,!

The "wing loading farce is only to remove aircraft from the 95-10 register. It was on the register with a few other HummelBirds, but the last time I checked My rego was removed.

How many HummelBirds HAVE been registered in ANY registration, ? since that time. there was over a dozen in the build stage when I started building.

Dave King is the only 95-19 rego I know.

Remember V H experimental, If most of the folk on the 95-10 register, go to V H E, CASA will not be too happy.

Hopefully Another organisation will take us orphans in. ( flex wing: Gyro: Or powered parachute.(Two of which beats that Wing-loading rule)).

spacesailor

No, as it was NOT flying, it can't be grandfathered.

Registration number's were issued.  affixed and stamped all over the aircraft parts. Data pack was paid for, The final inspection was when told. NO GOOD,!

The "wing loading farce is only to remove aircraft from the 95-10 register. It was on the register with a few other HummelBirds, but the last time I checked My rego was removed.

How many HummelBirds HAVE been registered in ANY registration, ? since that time. there was over a dozen in the build stage when I started building.

Dave King is the only 95-19 rego I know.

Remember V H experimental, If most of the folk on the 95-10 register, go to V H E, CASA will not be too happy.

Hopefully Another organisation will take us orphans in. ( flex wing: Gyro: Or powered parachute.(Two of which beats that Wing-loading rule)).

spacesailor

By grandfathered I mean it’s not subject to the current 95.55 four stage inspections.  You can clearly prove construction prior to current tech manual so you CAN abandon the 95.10 process and simply move to the grandfathered 95.55 tech manual process. 

So accept that everything you spent on 95.10 reg is lost money and you start from where you are with 95.55 and get 19- reg. 

I think you should first check with RAAus to see if your old 10- numbers are available in 19- series.  Then it’s just paint a 19- in front of the existing numbers.  

Fill out the forms for 19- and then pay the reg fee for a single seater 19- and Following inspection and paperwork processing YOU are into test flying.  

And im serious about the offer.  If you have a Hummel  ready to go I will do all the paperwork for you and deal with RAAus - I’m a little heavy for test flying it as at MTOW of around 240kg I could only have 11l of fuel if you made it to the plans.  I’d love to test fly it but it would prob be better with a pilot around the 75-80kg mark.  

Send me a private message if you want to take me up on the offer if doing your paperwork and dealing with RAAus.  

I checked an old list of Regis and 19-1103 does not appear so you MIGHT be lucky and get that rego and you’d have very little repaint.  

• Winner 1

And I’m sorry to have confused you on “grandfathered”.  It applies to ANY old rules that were retained but closed to new use when a change happens. 

95.10 got grandfathered factory and high wing load airframes in 1990.  Eg my factory sapphire is 95.10 and does not meet wing load - but grandfathering leaves it flying.  Same with Brian Gabriel’s Hummel. 

All rego series got “grandfathered” rego display with the change in Tech Manual from issue 3 to 4.  So you don’t have to display 10- on older 95-10 planes but any new ones now will. 

And of of course all part built experimental airframes at tech man change got a grandfathered process avoiding the 4 stage inspections and just keeping the single preflight reg inspection.

its the last one your hummelbird can use to just get paperwork and an inspection to get into test flying. 

• Agree 1

Many thanks,

KASPER.

In two weeks I have the "RUSTY" hip inspection, so will hold on your Marvelous offer until I know what the future will hold for me.

At the moment I can't get my leg over a push-bike to exercise, Now weighing in at 98Kilos.

and feeling FAT.

The extra weight is putting my back out as well as my right ankle.

"Same with Brian Gabriel’s Hummel."

That's my gripe.  RAA knew we were building But Never said a word, I could have had the Final inspection a couple years previous to the date I was (shocked), to be told its No good, & No inspection because of the New rule,

That we weren't told about until too Blooody late.  Sixteen Builder's left out in the cold and not one had correspondence from RAA.

PS The reason for my delay, was to do the flight training (pilot certificate) then I would be all set to soar like an Eagle.

Please bring on the "New Organisation".

spacesailor

• Winner 1

Spacesailor - PM sent

for reference the failing of AUF to advise 22 years ago of a law change is not good.

BUT a new organisation would not be able to stop a change in the CAOs. 

However, I would hope hope they would tell members/users ASAP of changes coming and the impacts.  

RAAus clearly do not do this with change that they DO control eg tech manual fundamental changes so I too look forward to a new organisation. 

I will be sad to abandon RAAus which I joined as the AUF more than 30 years ago.