SPOT satellite locator

JG3

There are reports running around that a couple of SPOT locators failed to work when SOS was triggered.

I just did a test of SOS on my SPOT2 with Geospace - all working well.

In Australia call 0424217768 to set up a test. Good friendly professional service.

• Like 1

B Belcher  ( if I remember the Name right), Had TWO, both of which FAILED.

Leaving him on a reef, Had to cut the drogues off his life-raft to try to get to Australian coast, was Found & rescued within sight of coast but far to weak to survive the surf . ( caught & tried to eat a seagull).

My own "Obsolete" EPIRBS were dismantled one OK, but the other had the antenna wire NOT soldered on to bottom of antenna.

Only a month or two old when outdated to new frequency. (the dud)

spacesailor

• Informative 1

That hasn't been my experience with SPOT at all.

I've used mine for 8 years and done more than 200 Check-Ins, and never missed one. Both in the USA and Australia, from the Kinberleys to Tassie and many remote sites in the middle. Wouldn't travel without it.

Of course I also carry a PLB as back-up, yes BACK-UP. I like the SPOT because I have the option of three levels of message besides the SOS that calls in the cavalry.... 

All of these messages go to friends back home who are experienced and capable of arranging whatever required.

1 - All is well here. (Check-In)

2 - Not injured but stranded and need assistance. (ie- when I've done a bush landing and busted the landing gear...)

3 - Injured need assistance ASAP. (Pretty obvious.)

The PLB uses a different and very comprehensive satellite system so is a good ultimate back-up, but it does call in the cavalry even if I wouldn't need that much assistance. So I can be the judge of what I need.

I trust this actual experience more than third hand rumours.....

I have a Gen 3 Spot & agree with JG3 100%. The Gen 3 also has a tracking facility which provides a GPS location & altitude every 5 minutes. My wife can track my flight progress in real time as the satellite location is overlaid on google maps. You can pay a bit extra & get this down to 2 minute intervals. I can't understand why it can't be used as PLB as it provides very accurate location data & the SOS function provides exactly the same location beacon messaging as a PLB. I presume it is all about money & who gets paid for what.

The 406 mhz plb/epirb is the standard govt authorised rescue beacon with signals going direct to Australian rescue services.

The SPOT is a privately run thing. Controlled out of the USA I think. They alert the Australian authorities when required. 

I can understand AMSA's position, with a lack of oversight and control of the SPOT system.

Having said that, I think it is a great device for all the reasons listed above.

The PLB/ELT system uses a different and more comprehensive satellite system to the SPOT, so the SPOT is not a replacement. That's why I carry both.

I have used spot for years and it’s great. The tracking and alerting via mobile is very useful. Gliders have been using them for years and have proven great for outlandings. PLB’s do not have tracking which makes them limited to only emergencies. AMSA are now talking of tracking on the new gen satellites but they have been in the Stone Age for a long time and won’t budge re other technology. ADS-B will allow you to be tracked and seen on flight radar 24 and the like. VFR ads-b when comes will be cheap and the way to go. AMSA already have access to many sources of tracking data but stick to the plb/Elt as the official device. Most alerts come into amsa from concerned persons if someone goes missing. A tracking device like spot for my money is the safest way to go.

Until then I am happy with my Spot Gen3. It works everywhere except inside buildings and under heavy tree cover & those are places I don't fly.

• Agree 1