lost,abandoned crashed planes ww2

Guest flying high

This was an intriguing thread, seemed to die out.

With the advent of Google Earth and the sharper NearMap and French version of Google Earth, if we know the rough whereabouts it should be possible to find some wrecks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The castle bunker poped up in another forum recently. some say they were involved back in the war. i don't think it is what they are really looking for and that is the rumoured stash of aircraft that was used to move the high ranks around throughout the pacific. my research show it to be futher south around the prison farm.

Another area that has been under disscussion recently is the Barringtons. this small rugged area that has it's own personal weather system generator has taken quite a few aircraft over the years. plenty have looked for aircraft but with the terrain you could walk right next to one and never see it. but maybe worth a bit of research as the pot of gold is a 210 that had a bunch of cashed up bookies returning from a race meet. never found or if it was they never spoke up.

ozzie

This has been great reading,Thanks.I have a couple of stories.Not a shred of evidence to back them up (apart from one).Just stories that had been bandied around when i was in the RAAF.The first one, was in a local news paper, when i was at Amberley.This old Gent, worked at amberley during the war.He was close to dieing, so tried to make a deal with the government.The story goes -most of the a/c left amberley and went to Oakey after the war, and where cut up, for scrap.He says he and a few others, were told at the time to put some of the a/c into the an old mining shaft around Ipswich.They then Burried the entrances.The deal- he went to the RAAF, and said to them-i will show you were we burried these a/c (WW2 fighters) i think 3 or 4 i think. If i can have one, for my granson.The RAAF, obcourse would have said.No. Anyway, he said he was taking the information to his grave. Probably 100% BS, but you never know i guess.

The second story comes from a bloke i knew who was in the Army, when i was in the RAAF.He was Based in Darwin, this is early nineties, anyway.This farmer had a Hill on his property, about the size of a big house, and he owns a Bulldozer.He started to cut into the side of the hill, with the dozer blade.The dozer hit something and stopped dead.It was concrete.He eventualy removed the dirt from around the base of the "Hill" that actually is a bunker. He rang the police, they went there, rang the Army, they went there, opened it up.It was full of Rifles, Thompson sub machine Guns, M1 Carbines, Amunition, And .45 pistols.All still wrapped in grease in there boxes.They would have been like brand new.Anyway i remember this because, my Army mate, and i was thinking. What a wan#@#, for telling the police.We would have kept our mouths shut.LOL My mate was there, to remove the weapons. They blew it up the ordnance in situ.

All of the above - There is no concrete evidence.But i hope entertaining.

Tunnels under Sydney

Bunkers..... lets have a quick look at Sydney. most of these places are now well and truly off limits thanks to world events. but during the 70's i don't think that even the govt knew they were there. Every city has some sort of tunnell network

Someone in the late 1970s wrote a book on Sydney's tunnels. He became interested after finding out that the original water supply (Tank Stream) still existed and then he spent a number of years researching the rest. There are a tremendous amount of tunnels. Quite a few run north-south under Sydney Harbour and they existed before the Sydney Harbour Bridge was completed in March 1932. There are quite a few around the Dalley Street telephone exchange halfway between Circular Quay and Wynyard Station. Many tunnels seem to have been forgotten about but occasionally, when digging a deep foundation for the next skyscraper, they come across them.

Macquarie St to the GPO and parliment house, behind the southbound station at St james is the original eastern suburbs tunnel that ran toward william st until it hit a underground lake then abandoned. I used to work in the city circle tunnels had a ball exploring them and others. the old submarine base in the northside has a couple. amazing what you find behind some old doors and under manholes. times change and now if you are caught in them big trouble.

There used to be a good one near YBK on the hill at condell park untill someone opened there big yap on TV about it. then the army came a destroyed it.

Camden has a couple. northhead is like a block of swiss cheese.

• 9 months later...
Guest SAJabiruflyer

Speaking of guns, back when I was a shooter, I could walk from my home, across some paddocks, and go bunny hunting near our sewerage works. If I did that now I daresay it wouldnt be long before I heard a Helo and saw some Star Group officers fast roping down to get me!. But those sames paddocks are still there, used to watch a crop duster flying over them - crazy stuff as it's very hilly all around - but great to watch! We have some WWII History around our town - some above-ground bunkers, a couple of bridges pre-drilled with holes for dynamiting. So this thread has been very interesting for me! :clap2::clap2:

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the nudge on that Luther. i haven't been there for years even tho i'm not far from it when i'm staying in Sydney. I used to go to the range when i was in schoolboy army. It looks like that small strip of coastal land is going to become a national park soon. Good thing with all the development around the area.

You're joking they are getting rid of it?I hope they dont build more appartments there,they already destroyed the old Hospital up the road to build units. It's a great place to visit during the day but at night it can get very scary.The gun range kinda puts you in the scene when you're in the bunkers and you hear all the gun fire going off.Lucky for me I live not far so as a teen me and friends spent alot of time playing around the bunkers and tunnels,great times there.It's sydneys own little piece of the war,even if it wasn't ever put to action,or was it?anyone know?

• 3 weeks later...
hi guyshas anyone ever seen any crashed aeroplanes in any countries from ww2 iv heard that in ppng there are lots of crashed planes in the forests is there any other adventurers out there interested in crashed lost abandoned aeroplanes anywere in australia doesnt have to be ww2 i would like to visit or find crashed planes anyone had any experiences

g,day flying ,I,ve seen several wrecks from the ww2 conflict in australia and png as i am a commercial fisherman and have fished over there,in Qld at an island just north of cooktown called Low Wooded island is a b26 called steak and eggs which i researched to find out had crashed at seven mile airstrip in Port Morsby.The engineers rebuilt this plane{they where aussies so it was pinched from the yanks]to use for runs to cairns for fresh veges meat and beer it crashed on the island after leaving cooktown airfield where it had refueled with a full load of beer .The local from cooktown enjoyed this manna from heaven. not much left now just wing and a small piece of fusalarge also two radials in the sand. it is located on the north west sand spit easy to find.Another find is at Margeret Bay on the north of cape york,this is the wrecks of three p39 that ran out of fuel going to png one on the mud flats in the bay itself is still in one piece but badly corroded.Also on Horn Island in the Torres Straights is several wrecks /hudson wirraway b25 C47 b17 3 of these zero p40,s .At Bamaga on the tip of cape york is a c47 and several boufort bombers ,at Weipa 40 miles south of the harbour there used to be 2 p47 thunderbolts on the dunes behind the mangroves but i think they where recovered in the 90,s,there are more aircraft all over the top end nt/wa Darwin aviation museum has several wrecks diplayed also if in darwin at stuart park as you drive into the city on your right is a school turn right just past this school than first on your left drive along this road for two hundred meters and look over to your right ,you will see a storage yard for the museum full of radials airframes/pieces gun turrets wings etc you can walk right over to the fence up close.Hope this helps you and i know off several more wrecks in png and Daru island that i have seen and visited [not rumours they exist] email me @ [email protected] if you want to talk more ok cu SCOTT.

I know of two locations:

aa) on the way to Port Alma from Gladstone, QLD. In the hills on the left as you travel north about half way. Very vague but there is detailed info about this incident. ATSB too has a report. Wreckage lost and remain unfound. and all souls on board died.

bb) again, located near Gladstone... Kroombit Tops National Park. WW2 era, all lost their lives. Wreckage only recently discovered. It's clearly identified in the 4wd trips for the area. Was there 2 years ago living in Gladdy and was told about this place. Worth the drive if you're in the area.