What Do People Think About The REX Cadetship?

Wangaratta

I've looked at it, and I have heard that once employed you are based in Hong Kong for six years. Can someone confirm this? Etihad has a scheme too

Yep, that's right.

You'll be based in Abu Dhabi with Etihad, with similar requirements.......6yrs in AUH would be tough, 12mths was enough for me..!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Costs aside, I suppose once you get into such airlines and enjoy it of course, your professional career is set (with exceptions of course - might not be someone's passion at the end of the day). Thats what I like about these scheme's, though I would prefer to be based in Australia.

Can someone with experience tell me what its like moving to a new country to work? Pretty tough I imagine

• 1 year later...

Hey there its been 2 years since this forum was last updated, im just doing the first stage of interviews for rex cadetships at the moment (the wombat test) i have so many questions about the cadetship as im not straight out of high school i have a partner now and am currently paying off my own house i have been doing my ppl bit by bit as i can afford it the ultimate goal is to become a commercial pilot, i was hoping that someone here has gone on to do a bit more with rex and might be able to give an understanding because from what i have read and the only chance i got to ask ( i think was an admin lady) i havent got great responses, first off i have to qualms selling my property and relocating to wagga to carry out the training and my partner has no problems however from what i understand rex requires me to live on campus in which my partner can not, and im expexted to be there pretty much all of the time throughout the 8+ months of training which doesnt sound very good for relationships at all, my second problem is the cost vs reward, ultimatly a commercial pilot regardless of pay is what i want to do, however basically borrowing an extra 100k which has in the real world no value to hold against it for a guaranteed job which pays (i think) in the vicinity of 50-60kp.a seems a bit much as one you start working you will then have to return to paying for your house or rent either way i can only imagine you are losing already atleast 20% of your pay to training repayments then to pay living costs for a major city even between 2 people seems like ill end up living on scraps for seven years which is probably not an ideal life choice? i was just wondering if there was anyone here that could give further insite into rex and cadetships and if they have done it how they found it, enjoyment wise but also financially and if you think it is probably better if i just keep doing what im doing and get my cpl in 3-4years but debt free at the end?

just a side note i do plan on doing atleast the first stages of interviews as i want to experience the 'wombat test' and im hoping to get the oppurtunity to ask someone in the 'know' at rex a lot more questions but any help here would be greatly appreciated thankyou.

squirto.

Getting a CPL and going the GA/Charter route is a far better option in my opinion... You gain so much more real life experience. I would also highly suggest doing a lot of research before making any commitments if you do decide to go the cadetship route (with any cadetship scheme, not just Rex), learn everything you can about the company, from the wages, the types of jobs you would be required to do, expectations, external pressures, management, all levels of staff, cultures, down to the aircraft, everything, try find reasons that you don't want to work for them - after all, you would be the one paying a heap of cash upfront. Be very careful with putting all your pennies in one basket (so to speak).

If you think about it from a commercial perspective aviation will never come out on top as the best choice. Huge training costs, difficulty getting a start in the industry then poor wages and conditions for many years it's really not a viable option. But, I've closed my business and am putting myself through it at the moment because it is what I want to do! My accountant thinks I'm crazy tho

Go into debt and put yourself through CPL / MECIR. Hint. There is an operator not fifty metres from REX/AAPA at Wagga who may well be willing to employ you if you are genuine. Why not speak to them about your training and possible future employment. A couple of years flying with this mob oughta make you a prime candidate for better paying employment.

• 2 months later...

Go with Rex. A couple of guys from the Goulburn Aviation flying school went onto Rex and seem to be loving it. Newly qualified CPL's are a dime a dozen nowadays thanks to the VET/FEE flying schools and Uni courses. The school advertises for new instructors every now and then and are always flooded with newly qualified Grade 3's with very low hours. Standing out in that crowd is near impossible.

If you go the CPL/MECIR route then be prepared for possibly a very long and hard slog into a regular well-paying job. Unless you can find a charter company that loves you for some reason. Also a consideration is that Rex/Sharp/Qantaslink will simply not look at employing you in the future when they've got their own batch of candidates who've been brought up on their way of doing things from the beginning and are well entrenched in the organisation.

Definitely learn as much as you can about the cadetship and the culture of the organisation to get a feel for whether you'll 'fit'.