Gidday

Nev25

Just a polite thing to say, but some check captains cringe when they hear a crew say it. It's generally something you hear when you make first and last contact to a particular controller.

If the frequency is not congested, as above. Takes no time at all. "Over and out", I've never heard except in films. Roger . The older phonetics were able baker charlie etc then they got the international one, which we still have. Wilco means understood and will comply. Lately the calls are pretty crook. It wouldn't hurt to make a concerted effort to improve them. Nev

'Over and out' is one of the most miss used terms in Radio land. When somebody has finished speaking - they say "over" (over to you I am waiting for a response) then the person they are talking to knows that they can now say their piece then they say "over" (and they are looking for a response) and this toing and froing continues until one or both of the persons is totally finished and has nothing to add and is not waiting for a response, They then say "out" that's it not" over and out". .

This is not for aviation, this is UHF etiquette.

'Over and out' is one of the most miss used terms in Radio land. When somebody has finished speaking - they say "over" (over to you I am waiting for a response) then the person they are talking to knows that they can now say their piece then they say "over" (and they are looking for a response) and this toing and froing continues until one or both of the persons is totally finished and has nothing to add and is not waiting for a response, They then say "out" that's it not" over and out". .This is not for aviation, this is UHF etiquette.

You're spot on about the "over" and the "out" and NOT "over and out" but actually it goes back a long way before UHF. It was used when HF radio was linked to the old telephone service, such as the RFDS have used until relatively recently. That service (remote area HF radio to telephone link-up) could only operate in monoplex, not in duplex, so conversation could only take place in one direction at a time. As a result one person would say what they had to say and when they had finished they would say "over", that was the signal for the telephone operator to switch the connection 'over' to the other direction so that the second person could speak and then they would say "over" and the operator would switch the direction 'over' again. When they had finished talking one of them would say "out" which told the operator to pull the telephone line plug 'out' at the exchange.

The practice did carry over to UHF CB and VHF communications since they are also monoplex in a sense, because you can't receive while you're transmitting.

You're spot on about the "over" and the "out" and NOT "over and out" but actually it goes back a long way before UHF. It was used when HF radio was linked to the old telephone service, such as the RFDS have used until relatively recently. That service (remote area HF radio to telephone link-up) could only operate in monoplex, not in duplex, so conversation could only take place in one direction at a time. As a result one person would say what they had to say and when they had finished they would say "over", that was the signal for the telephone operator to switch the connection 'over' to the other direction so that the second person could speak and then they would say "over" and the operator would switch the direction 'over' again. When they had finished talking one of them would say "out" which told the operator to pull the telephone line plug 'out' at the exchange.The practice did carry over to UHF CB and VHF communications since they are also monoplex in a sense, because you can't receive while you're transmitting.

That is not what I was taught in the RAAF while using ground comms. We were told in no uncertain terms NOT to say "over and out" when finished. Just "out". You can't be "over" and "out" at same time. Its either "over" waiting for a reply, OR "out". Communication finished. Just sayin

True. "Out" means finished this comm, and to be finished it would be "over" (implied). These terms were used in conditions where the clarity of the transmission would be questionable and while slowing things up it avoids cutting across each other. This happens when the phone has a "delay" . Nev

That is not what I was taught in the RAAF while using ground comms. We were told in no uncertain terms NOT to say "over and out" when finished. Just "out". You can't be "over" and "out" at same time. Its either "over" waiting for a reply, OR "out". Communication finished. Just sayin

Yes Dazza, I was agreeing with you , I said that you were correct in saying to use 'over' or 'out' but NOT to use 'over and out'.

Theres no AIP phraseology requirement to close out an RT exchange, just give the instruction and get the appropriate readback.

Any salutations are just a professional courtesy, I favoured "ooroo" myself.