Photo licences & aviation security checks for Flight Crew

Guest colt_pa22

Guest colt_pa22

When I saw a reply to this post I thought you were going to bring good news, like your ASIC had arrived. Did CASA tell you on the phone that your ASIC was ready or almost ready?

colt

Guest colt_pa22

I got my notification when I was away, first 1/2 of Jan. It will be interesting to see if it comes before the end of Feb.

colt

Guest colt_pa22

So I assume you must travel to a Qantas distribution centre such as the Melbourne Jet base to collect?

Bad luck if you live out in wop wop.

colt

Guest StRaNgEdAyS

At the moment I think you do, though IIRC if you hold an ASIC the security check is waived for an AVID.

AOPA are currently pushing (and may be successful) to have the ASIC and the AVID combined into a one card system.

Guest Swagman

This is such a good illustration of how new regulations were introduced for the sake of being introduced, Sadly the aviation community took them on board without a collective protest and things will only get worse I guess as DOTARS and CASA find they can 'bully' people without much opposition.

Meanwhile non pilots can still get airside if they wish and can still take control of an aircraft despite all the security measures.

Guest Alex Short

What Swagman said!!!

Sadly this one slipped through the net for most pilots... a few (myself among them) have been sending letter after letter after letter for the last two years trying to kick up something of a stink... but 30,000 pilots (even if everyone protested) represent too small a pool of voters to make anyone really care in the corridoors of power. Now, imagine the uproar if (warning! unsubstantiated guess folllows) ten million car drivers faced shelling out for their own security checks, or risked not being eligible for a licence. (Warning! Cynicism ahead!) But they'd never do that, would they??? Too many votes to lose! :evil:

And then, once they decide that pilots need security checks, they don't even have the gumption to do it PROPERLY. So we end up with this half-arsed system that no-one knows how to operate and takes too damn long to achieve anything. :evil:

Also - despite (especially) my whinging to the contrary, the mess is really not CASA's fault. They were dropped into the whole stinking pile of doo doo by the clowns in DoTaRS. Having said that, they haven't exactly done much to convince me or anyone that they're particularly competent in what they are doing.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

There, I feel better now.

do NOT under any circumstances get me started on cost recovery, however!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - have been temporarily away from internet access....

Good to see people ASIC's are starting to progress! I'm worried about how long mine will take as I was told to send it just on my 18th birthday... Does that mean that from when I turn 18 until whenI get my ASIC it will be illegal to fly?

Bmw

Yep, from what i gather you will not be able to fly untill you get the asic or avid.If your application went in before 31/12/05 you are legal to fly in 06. But if they did not receive a application by then there is no flying till you get a asic or avid issued.

That's unless your an RAA pilot then no requirement to have one.

Guest colt_pa22

You should be able to get at least an AVID fairly quick Beamer, as for an ASIC card you WILL be waiting with the rest of us for a while.

colt

Ps

Saw VH-TYA without an engine in a hanger at Tyabb.

Guest StRaNgEdAyS

Sounds like CASA are on the ball as usual.

I'd say they'd be up to date in about 15 years or so. In the meantime at least the magazine is getting to someone who has some use for it...;)

Guest colt_pa22
But they said in then next few days it will be passed onto Qantas for proccessing.

Looks like most of our will be on the way soon then...

colt

Guest colt_pa22

Dare I say it, TYPICAL

Still no reply from CASA after submitting my details on their website to get a status check. Its been over 2 working days, bloody pathetic. I really doubt it will arrive before March 31st.

colt

Guest colt_pa22

I have no AVID, no ASIC, no form of pilot photo identification, can I fly after March 31st?

colt

Guest Swagman
I have no AVID, no ASIC, no form of pilot photo identification, can I fly after March 31st?colt

Who will actually (physically) stop you?

Guest colt_pa22

I'm not going to break the law just because there is nobody checking up on me if that?s what you are getting at

The latest Aviation trader tells quite an obvious tale.

colt

Guest Swagman

I'm not going to break the law just because there is nobody checking up on me if that?s what you are getting at

The latest Aviation trader tells quite an obvious tale.

colt

But it begs the question doesn't it. I gather you've complied with everything you've been requested to do and through their own ineptitude they've not issued the requisite paperwork. Why should you miss out on flying? Even if some one did report you, can you honestly see a prosecution if CASA have acknowledged your application? I can't.

I have read elsewhere if you've recieved notification of an application, that's OK. There has been a number quoted somewhere they can ring to check on the checks. How stupid is it if you have an RAA licence then an ASIC is not required? You can still access a so called "secure airfield". I'm not going crook they don't need one, just we don't either. How has GA a voice with the Federal Government? it doesn't apart from AOPA which the powers that be ignore anyway.

Guest colt_pa22

Robbo, do you need an ASIC for work?

If not, my ASIC should arrive before yours as I put my application in before you.

How stupid is it if you have an RAA licence then an ASIC is not required

The benefits of self regulation in the RAA vs. the misery were facing in GA with over regulation.

The person flying the RAA registered Piper Colt hangered in Temora does not need a security check or and ASIC. A person flying a VH registered Piper Colt needs a security check and constant photo ID and they are flying the same aircraft, the first one being only marginally lighter!

Does that mean that people flying RAA aircraft and gliders are less of a risk to the public than people with CASA licenses? People who fly small GA types like 150's, Skippers, Tomahawks, Austers virtual fly only marginally heavier aircraft and are slugged with all of this.

Still no reply from the email service, I'm going to make a phone call.

colt

Guest colt_pa22

Just called CASA, got a nice lady on the phone, very talkative and nice. My application is still is processing and she told me they were hoping for before the 31st of March. The only reason I can think of the delay is that ASIO is still investigating what I was doing on visits to East Africa and India over the past 2 years.

Then again, in my photo I look of MEA(Middle Eastern Appearance) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

colt