Am I addicted to aviation?

Guest Reflex

Glen it sound like you have a few of the symptoms of Aviation Induced Dizzy Spells (aids) other symptoms include

running of the road in your car cause you were watching an aircraft go by.

and getting sunburn on the back of your throat at airshows.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sunshy

AIDS is actually an Airbus thing that's been around since the very first Airbus, the A300B2. It means something like Aircraft Information Data System, but don't quote me on this one, since I don't have my Airbus abbreviation list handy at the moment. LAME should know the true meaning. It's a extremely useful tool on the A320 (and the A330/A340 too I guess) and I use it quite often for trouble shooting. Still wonder why Airbus didn't change it's name when the other AIDS thing raised it head....

Guest Jag75

I have to admit I always look up at the sky when I hear a plane overhead. I just love to look at the gracefully slicing through the air.

I've been in love with all things related to flight from a young age.

• 3 months later...

Lookin' up as a plane goes by is the mark of a real pilot according to Ernest Gann.

My old man had me identifying aircraft by sound at the age of four, back when they were REAL interesting.

"What's that?"

"DC-3!"

"What kind?"

"ANA!"

Yeap he had me knowning the difference between the Wright Cyclones and Pratts.

From memory I recognised DC-3s, DC4, Lanecastrian,"little plane" and Lockheed although I don't know if I could tell the difference between the 10, 12 14 and 18. I suspect I'd have thought the last two were DC-3s.

I applied the lookin' up principle to my son.

I paid for him to have the maximum number of lessons in an ultra light at the age of fourteen so he got the idea of the lectures as well as the poling a plane around the sky and then sat back and watched.

He doesn't look up! so I didn't shuffle him off to flyin' school at sixteen so he could be a chip off the old block.

I've discussed this with him when he left school and he isn't interested in aviation as a career, so I was right. The Mem Sahib is a bit shitty on me for not giving him the chance, but she was just an air hostess (Flight attendant to you youngies) so doesn't really understand what you guys are talking about.

My old man gave me my private licence then said, "You want a Commercial? ... go off and get it yourself !"

My cousin didn't even get a flying lesson out of his old man. He fought and scratched and got to Ansett. He did the same to his son, who is 10 hours short of a Commercial, but has moved across to operating aircraft rather than being just a pilot.

The old boys like me have seen too many wannabes who are seeing the glory or the money and dad pays. When it's time to do the hard yards they don't have what it takes and move over into I.T. or something else and the old man wasted 50K or so.

Some one, I think it was Toad from "Wind in the Willows" once said, "There's nothing quite like messing around in Boats".

Planes weren't too common when that was written.

There's definitely SOMETHING about planes!

Me I've often lept off the throne to run outside to see what is passing overhead.

Guest Chainsaw

Some people hate airplane noise and want the noise somewhere else, I want the planes to all come over here pleeeaasee ;)

When Connie has come over, I have heart palpitations, I get short of breath and nearly have a big O!!!! :shock:

DC3's do almost the same.

Ohhhhh the sound of round is sweet...

I am sick? Yes!

Did I just write this muck? mmmm yea I did :P

Guest Chainsaw

Yes Glen,

I have the shakes this morning....oh that's the need for coffee!

I will be at YSSY during today. Nice and sunny, can't wait to take more pics.

Did you know I love planes? Just thought I'd tell you. :D

Guest Chainsaw

Thanks Glen :)

I love the sound and the feeling as a 747 scrapes over you. The sound even blocks out my chainsaw heh heh

Guest Glenn

Damn, I'm gonna have to come down to Sydney.

I had an extra 300S fly low over my head yesterday and did a few rolls, but not as exciting as a 747 :)

Guest Chainsaw

Glen,

Better let me know when you do and we will see if we can mental with our cameras. I have a scanner too.

Guest Glenn

I need a better camera. I have a 2 in 1. vid and still. Got a scanner but needs a new battery pack :(

I was last in Sydney when the A380 came in. I'll let you know when and if I come down, but it won't be for a long time.

Guest Chainsaw

Ahhh grumble grumble eh.

I dont have a fancy DSLR either. Those things are too expensive and heavy.

Dont worry Ill keep putting selected pics up.

Q. If I put pics into my own gallery on here, how do others get to it?

Guest Glenn

Underneath all the categories in the albume it says "Users Personal Galleries ? Your Personal Gallery" so a visitor would click on "Users Personal Galleries" and would be taken to a page where it would display a list of user's that have a personal gallery. Currently no member's have a personal gallery.

Another way is to check out your profile and it says "Personal Gallery of Chainsaw" See below

Total posts: 20

[0.42% of total / 5.00 posts per day]

Find all posts by Chainsaw

Personal Gallery of Chainsaw <<----- HERE!

Watch all pictures posted by this user

8)

Guest Chainsaw

Wish I could see more girls like these.

Well I suppose I am lucky to be so close to YSSY. One can't have everything!

Does anybody know where any WW1 planes are in NSW, such as Spad's, Neiports, Fokkers etc?

Guest Chainsaw

Well there is Bankstown, but I dont really have the time to get there. at the moment.

I will ask dad. I might try and do a little interview with him about those. Karen & I have a radio show doing interviews, so more material :)

If that works out, I'll work out how to get it on here. Probably a link to the show site.