Am I addicted to aviation?

Guest Reflex

Hi g_i_jack029

Glad to see you are starting out nice and early in life. Enjoy your new found adiction and don't look for a cure because there just isn't anything better than this 8)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea Chris! What a way to spend some time..a picnic and planes and family.

Good to see you on board G-I_Jack. My love of planes came from my childhood when our Dad would take us to the Airshows at Laverton in the early 1960's..and of the DC 3's and Vampire, Sabre, and Canberra Jets flying over head during my childhood in the Melbourne suburbs..as well as Dad taking us out to Moorabbin and Essendon airports..what a great Dad.

I know your love of aviation will give you much enjoyment in the years ahead. Cheers. Tim

Guest g_i_jack029

No cure, Thank goodness!!!

Same here Tim, there's always jets flying over and GA aircraft are very common as well. Thanks guys

PPL here i come!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have been around aircraft all my life as I grew up on an airport. Dad was a pilot and then ATC. I have been fixing them for 42 years and have worked all over the world, currently in Africa.

I have worked on DC3,DC4,DC6, Viscount,L188 Electra and B707,727,757,747 in airlines and in GA/Commuter most of the piston and turbo-props. I have a current PPL.

In the airlines in days gone by I have been on training flights on DC3/4/6, Viscount, F27 and L188 Electra; what a ride that was as every aircraft had their own vices.Those stories are for another time.

I have been lucky to span a couple of eras from airline pistons, turbo props and jets. In those days I always travelled in the jump seat so I have seen a lot.

I would not have changed it for anything, the places aviation has taken me to and still taking me, the people I have met and worked with, and the couple of times I have nearly met the grim reaper is part of my life. Aviation!!!!!

I enjoyed reading your story of your aviation connection and love of aviation xpat. I look forward to hearing more of those stories...glad the grim reaper left you to thrive for another few years yet! Tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Chainsaw

Well, it's time to give this esteemed thread a bump.

Last Wednesday, I was working in the shed and watching out for an Etihad A340-600 to flyover on PlanePlotter. Just as it was about to appear, I went outside with photographic device, then...the damn phone rang. A new potential customer who asked lots of questions. You know, when you are addicted like I am, you put the phone between your shoulder and neck, keep talking and take the photos. There I was talking and click click click click click click click click click click. One A340-600 in the bag!! The customer did wonder what the clicking was heh heh heh heh

I love planes *grin*

Guest Chainsaw

Am I addicted to aviation?

Yea, I am :biggrin:

Today, I was working in the study, busy as heck. I was on the phone again. I heard this 'noise'. My antenna went up. I looked out the French doors and there she was....VH-SCB a Birdog checking the power lines in the valley.

So what did I do then? Run outside of course with the camera. Just then she banked and headed straight for me skimming the tree tops. I gave them a wave then click click click click click again :biggrin:

Oh yea...the customer on the phone, run back inside, another sale

Have a look...

http://theaussieaviator.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1519

wx was cloudy and very dull. Not good for photos especially with stress approaching a nine... heh

• 3 weeks later...

Some good replies so far in this thread.

"Am I addicted to aviation?"

I just have to accept the fact I'm PLANE MAD.

Yes I'm the sort of person who stops into every airport I pass on a drive anywhere - the sort of person who drives up to half an hour off track to visit an airport. I also regularily call into my local airport on the way home from town... the fact I live 2mins from town and the airport is a futher 10 mins from my place is beside the point. :biggrin:

I've also spent thousands of dollars on camera equiptment just to take perfect plane pics

My friends know my as a plane geek, mainly because I can tell by the sound what is flying over and with a quick glance at my watch where its come from/going to.

My family and friends are under strict instructions that everytime they fly somewhere not only do I want photos and inflight magazines - anything that isn't nailed down is fair game .... I even have a running joke with one friend about bringing me back an air hostess :biggrin::biggrin:

So am I addicted to aviation? HELL YES - It'd be a sad sad world if I wasnt.

Guest Chainsaw

Just another normal post from a normal plane enthusiast! Nothing wrong with you. It's all those freaks who don't like planes I'm more worried about...

This is a great topic that I started when a DC3 flew over my house one day and without seeing it, I knew what it was. Raced out of the house jumped in the car and literally took off to the airport. It's a shame that the first few posts in the topic have somehow been lost in cyberspace.

Not to worry, we will keep this topic alive.

Chainy needs serious help. I received a phone that went something like this

"Quick, channel 2 plane" then hung up :rolleyes:

A nice little coaxial single seater helicopter.

no one can help chainy.

he is beyond help...

I think i saw him at the playground the other day with a wind up aeroplane and one of those inspector gadget hats with a helicopter rotor on top

Guest Chainsaw

Robbo, Mrs Chainy wants to talk with you. Time to worry. I wouldn't be caught dead at a playground or anywhere there is children. I don't associate with them. After having 3 girls of my own and plus Karen's 2, five girls is surely more than enough to stretch ones sanity.

I want one of those choppers. I don't like rotors as a rule, but this on makes a lot of sense. We saw it on The Inventors. The design is by a guy from Canberra. It's probably going to be repeated on ABC2 tomorrow night, so have a look. Battery powered too and very stable.

Last Thursday evening I was doing some dishes heavy maint and I heard something, looked out the kitty window and some guy flew over the house in an Aerochute at about 50 feet!!! I'm still scratching my head. There is nobody around here. Nobody lives around here or even close (kms), where the heck did he come from?? Where did he go??

And, Glenn...the phone call was fully justified. Twas to do with PLANES son, get your priorities right!! There is NOTHING more important. I know all of you lot agree cause we all love planes and we are all normal. Right?

hmmm I nearly crashed into a tree driving up my driveway !!

I heard this heavy noise coming over my head and what do you know it was the RAAF

and i had the camera !!!!!!

you need to zoom in a bit lol

Hey wombat this was probably the thing over your joint the other night.