MGB-MEL-SYD-MEL-MGB

This Particular Trip occurred 2 years ago when I first started to get a real big interest in Aviation.

December 10

After a nice sleep I awoke on a overcast and Cloudy Morning. After an hours drive from my house I Arrived at the Mt Gambier Airport at 12.30. After checking in for my flight to Melbourne International Airport, I sat down and did a final check of all of my Equipment. he plane started to board at 1.30pm (Victorian Time).

The plane then started up and proceeded to the end of the main Rwy at Mt Gambier. The Co-Pilot then proceeded to tell us that there was some bad weather ahead and that they would try to miss as much of it as they can.

After just over and hour, the Rex Metro 23 touched down on Rwy 34 at a very sunny Melbourne International Airport. After taxiing to Gate 11 all of the passengers disembarked the plane (after I got a Photo of the cockpit) and made our way to the arrivals hall were I collected my bags and proceeded to the Information Desk.

After a short 5 minute walk I made my way to the Motel Formula 1. I checked in and found myself to be in in Room 319 on the top level but unfortunately it wasn't a room that faced the airport. After unpacking my bags I proceeded to the Airport for a look around. After finding a nice spot at Gate 10 I started to take some pictures of the Aircraft landing on Rwy 34 or taxiing past to either the gate or taxiing to the Rwy. Before I knew it, I had used up 2 rolls of film.

By this stage it was 6.00pm and I was getting hungry. Macca's looked good. After having tea, I went back to the hotel were I settled into some reading of some Magazines that I had purchased at the Airport. By the time I had finished reading it was 11 o'clock and the ten News was starting. After watching that and Sports Tonight I turned out the light and tried to get some sleep. Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep thanks in part to the people in the next room (Newlyweds). I did end up getting some sleep but not much.

December 11

After waking up and looking out the window, I had a shower and packed my bag for the short 1 hour flight up to Sydney. I arrived at the airport at 6.10am. I proceeded to the Virgin Blue Check-In Counter. After getting my Ticket I went to Macca's for a light Breakfast. Then at 6.45am I arrived at Gate 2 at the Virgin Blue Domestic Terminal. The Plane was meant to board at 6.45am but due to Traffic movements and rain at Melbourne, the plane didn't board until 6.50am. The plane was due to depart Melbourne at 7.15am but it didn't depart until 7.27am due to Runway Works on 2 Runways at Sydney.

After the short flight landed at Sydney, the plane started to be emptied. I then asked if I could see the Cockpit. After no worries I then walked into the Cockpit. I was in there for about 10 minutes talking to the Co-Pilot and discussing what being a pilot is like and then proceeded to the Domestic Terminal. After a little look around the Terminal, I made my way to Gate 43A were I waited for about 45 minutes to board a bus that would take me on an Airside Tarmac Tour.

The bus arrived 10 minutes late but that didn't matter. After paying for the tour ($30) I hopped on the bus and sat down. The tour started with a tour of the International Terminal. We drove past alot of Aircraft. Then It was a tour of the Main Runway and then on to the Emergency Services on the other side of the Airport. After that the Guide parked the bus next to Rwy 16R/34L. It was just in time because a Singapore Airlines Boeing 747-412 landing inf front of us and started to reverse thrust in front of us. It was loud but the noise was like Music to my Ears. After that we did a tour of the Domestic Terminals.

After the tour had finished we all got off the bus at the Tour centre and browsed at the Memorabilia at the Centre. After that I made my way back to the Domestic Terminal and had lunch. I then found a nice area at the end of the Virgin Blue Domestic Terminal to take Photos from. I was there for about 5 hours. It was 5.30pm and I made my way to the Qantas Domestic Terminal were I used the Self Check in service and choose my seat.

I boarded the Qantas Airbus A330-201 at 5.50pm. The plane was loaded and left Gate 11 at 5.57pm. The plane then proceeded to the end of Runway 16R were we waited for 2 other planes to land on Runway 07/25. he plane then powered up and started to roar down Runway 16R. The plane got into the air earlier than usual because we had a light load. After we leveled off at 33,000 feet, the Flight Attendants served tea. A light Pasta and sauce with a can of drink and a roll.

The plane then landed on Runway 09 at Melbourne International Airport. After entering the cockpit and taking some photos, I moved to the door were the pilot showed me the systems of the Plane. After that I made my way back to the hotel were I sat down and watched TV for a few Hours. After watching TV I settled down for a nice sleep.

December 12

After waking up and checking out, I made my way to the International Food Court were I had some breakfast. After that I reviewed the Timetable and watched some Planes being Loaded and Unloaded at the International Terminal. After using 1 film I proceeded to Gate 11 at the Virgin Blue Domestic Terminal were I used up my remaining 2 films. It was 5pm so I decided to check in for my short 1 Hour Flight back to Mt Gambier. After I did that, I got tea. It was 6pm and it was time to venture down to gate 11 at the Domestic Terminal. My flight boarded 30 minutes later. The plane then started to taxi to Runway 27. At 6.50pm the plane started to power up and we were on our way at 6.52pm. The plane landed at Mt Gambier Airport 1 hour later. After a short wait for our luggage to arrive off the plane, I collected it and hopped in the car and went home with so many happy memories.

Guest David747

Good report Uncle Chop Chop.

Sydney and Melbourne are two wonderful airports to visit hey? I just love being at those airports. You were lucky to visit those cockpits, especially the 332. I've been in a 332 cockpit and it's aweome. Glad you had fun with that 2 year old report. :)

David...