Viking Dragonfly MK11

Guest Wayne

Hi all, any one know much about the Viking Dragonfly MK11 ? How are they to fly, are there any major problems with the aircraft design. I hear they can be tricky to land untill you get use to them. Id love to hear from some one who own's one has built one or has spent some time flying them.

;)

Wayne

• 6 years later...
Hi all, any one know much about the Viking Dragonfly MK11 ? How are they to fly, are there any major problems with the aircraft design. I hear they can be tricky to land untill you get use to them. Id love to hear from some one who own's one has built one or has spent some time flying them.;)

Wayne

hi Wayne what did you find out about the dragonfly

keith

Hi Wayne and Keith,

I've got a mate who built and flew his Dragonfly for quite a bit. He's an ex-RAAF test pilot. He loved it and selling it is one of his big regrets.

I'll try to get him to post some info for you.

Dave

I believe the Mk 2 wasn't (isn't) as big a problem to land because it had/has a conventional undercarriage. The Mk1 had main wheels at the end of the canard ala Rutan Quickie and Q2. The problem was that too hard a landing produced a bounce and because the glass canard acted like a big spring each bounce was higher than the last until the canard broke. I remember seeing the aftermath of that at Booker airfield in the UK 30+ yrs ago.

I've flown a fair bit in one as a passenger. It is a great cross-country tourer, at least 10 knots faster than my Jabiru with the same engine, and real comfy reclining seats like a glider.

I reckon it is harder to land because the landing view is not as good and it is faster. It needs more strip length.

After all, it is a high-performance tail-dragger.