A Long Longreach Trip Report.

Guest David747

Guest David747

Hello everyone.

On Wednesday April 11 & Thursday April 12, I visited Longreach in the middle of the Queensland outback to see retired Qantas Boeing 747 200 VH-EBQ and the Qantas museum. It was also my first ride in a Dash 8 as well as the first time I stepped on outback soil. The reason that triggered me to go was that Qantas were having a sale and were offering airfares at just under half of what I would usually pay to get to Longreach so I figured it was a golden oppourtunity to embark on this adventure and boy was it a great one. I was counting the days for 2 weeks and finally the day had come. It was an 03:50 wake up call and an 04:30 departure from home. The adventure had finally began!!!

My dad drove me from our home on the Sunshine Coast down to Brisbane Airport and we arrived around 05:30, my flight was due to leave at 06:50. We cleared security and I then checked in and was given a window seat just near the propellor on the left side of the a/c. I sat in the domestic terminal near a window and watched a Qantas Boeing 747 400 and a Singapore Boeing 777 200 arrive plus a few domestics and then wandered around the terminal to see what was around. I didn't take any photos because the glare was absolutely shocking at the time. Besides, it was all the same kinda stuff I would usually see anyway and it was advisable I kept plenty of space on my camera!!! I finally wandered back over to my departure area and around 10 mins later, it was time for boarding, I said goodbye to my dad and I was off and away!

QF2530 BRISBANE-BLACKALL-LONGREACH DASH 8 Q300 VH-SBV.

All the passengers including myself were taken in a couple small busses over to our Dash 8. It was nice to be airside! lol. We departed on time. Firstly, we listened to the safety demo and then we taxiied away from the domestic terminal and rather than taxiing to the end of the runway, we commenced our take off roll part way down the runway. We used RWY19 and departed south towards the city and made a quick right hand turn and started the northbound flight towards Longreach. An orange juice, dried apricots and small muffin were served shortly after as well as magazines and later tea, coffee and water. It was a beautiful blue skied sunny day, the type of weather I love. We flew over mainly vast grasslands, forests and the odd mountains and lakes. We made a brief 15 min stopover in another small Queensland outback town called Blackall. There were no planes to be seen whatsoever! The plane was refuelled and some passengers disembarked and some boarded for the next 20 min sector to Longreach. We were not allowed to hop off the plane. I was happy to make the stopover in Blackall as it was an extra take off and landing to make the trip a little more fun. On the Blackall - Longreach sector, we were not served any food or drinks as it was such a short flight. We arrived on time at Longreach and I was very happy to be there.

LONGREACH.

First of all, I picked up my bag and stared at beautiful old EBQ before entering the museum. I spent the next hour or so looking around at all the very unique displays such as model planes, old uniforms, a 747 tyre, windscreen, undercarrage and old business class seats as well as many more inrteging displays. At 11:00, I went on the tour of the 747 which I really enjoyed. We were told heaps of information and were shown under the plane, the small back cargo hold used the store bulky items, economy class, business class, the black box, the upper deck and of course the cockpit! We watched a few quick DVDs on the black box, emergency exit and cockpit. It was presented by a current 747 400 captain who used to fly the 747 200s. I was able to stay behind and continue taking photos and looking around the 747 which I really appreciated. After the tour, I had a look at the small quiet GA apron and I then went back to the museum to continue looking around and have some lunch. At around 14:00, I was pretty tired so I walked around 300m to my motel just down the road, the Jumbuck Motel. I checked in and spent the arvo relaxing and watching a bit of TV. As dusk was approaching, I decided to walk back to the airport to get some photos of EBQ under the golden sunlight. It was well worth the walk! There are plenty of galahs around, for those who don't know, a galah is very similar to a cockatoo, part of the cockatoo family. It is a pretty pink and grey bird. They are so cute! There are a number of birds of prey around the area too. I went to the restarant at the hotel and had a lovely dinner before heading back to my room to watch some more TV and finally call it a day. I woke up the next morning about 07:40 and by 10:00, I checked out of the motel and got driven to the airport by the very nice owner of the motel. I greatly appreciated that. I spent some more time at the museum and spent some time in a nice lounge room they have looking at some books, watching the video and picture slideshows of EBQ landing at Longreach and playing on the Qantas quiz challenge on a computer. I got a few pics of a couple little helicopters and finally at around 13:30, I went to the terminal to check in where I scored another window seat. I was rather surprised to see Qantaslink Dash 8 VH-SDA parked at the terminal. It was doing a charter. Soon after, a Macair Metroliner arrived on a flight from Townsville via Winton. Then my Dash 8 finally arrived. Nice to see a full apron! lol. At around 15 mins later, it was time to go home.

QF2533 LONGREACH-BRISBANE DASH 8 Q300 VH-SBV.

I was a tiny bit bummed to find out I was getting the same Dash 8 home. I was hoping for a different one but ah well, ya win some ya lose some! Our flight departed on time straight after the Macair Metroliner. It was a very full flight! We were served a cup of water, a couple bikkies and a bread bun plus the optional tea/coffee and magazines. Perhaps my favourite part of this flight was when we were first of all flying through a lovely deep blue sky, to suddenly fly for about 5 mins straight though clouds and finally popping out under an ugly grey overcast sky over Caboolture and Redcliffe. We landed on time over Moreton Bay on the cross runway (RWY14) which was exactly what I was hoping for. I happily hopped off the Dash 8 and met up with my dad who had come to pick me up and after I picked up my bag from the carrosel, it was time to drive back home which unfortunately resulted in driving through conjested peak hour traffic, rain and yet another traffic jam! In the end, I was very tired but happy to be home and at the same time, was very happy and satisfied with yet another awesome and memorable trip accomplished.

FINAL WORDS.

It was a great trip and a great memory. I was really happy to have done this trip and I have no regrets whatsoever. Thanks to my dad who took me to the airport and picked me up again as well as the Jumbuck Motel, the wonderful museum and my lift to Longreach, Qantaslink. I'll admit that my Dash 8 flights were really average in comparison to my Boeing 747 flights I have taken over the last couple years in every aspect, excitement, seating, cabin service etc, etc, but that is understandable! Nothing too much to write home about but it was still great to fly on a Dash 8 for the first time! Unlike every time I go Sydney where I can't wait to go back every single time I go, I am in no hurry to go back to Longreach. It is very much something you do once and not do it again for a long time, as much as I really enjoyed it. I would reccomend the trip but I would suggest you only stay for one night as that is all you'd need. Thanks for offering cheaper fares to Longreach Qantaslink! It was very tempting indeed!!!

LONGREACH RULES!

DAVID...

Hey David,

Where abouts do you live on the Sunshine Coast? I was up there last week visiting one of Dad's old friends in Markoola (Sorry for incorrect spelling) and his unit backs right onto the Sunshine Coast Airport. His back fence is parallel to the runway and his spa faces the runway..i could easily live there. Not too sure i would like the early DJ and JQ arrivals though lol.

Guest David747

Hi Matt.

I live in a small residential suberb called Mountain Creek which is about 5 mins drive by car from Mooloolaba. Mooloolaba is about 10-15 mins drive south of Marcoola. Sounds like a pretty cool place where your dad's friend lives! :P The Sunshine Coast is a great place to live in my opinion and I have lived in the same house since I was 9 months old. :D

David...