Who likes Radials?

Guest Crash Lander

Guest Crash Lander

Went for a nice flight today with my Father in Law. Did a few touch and goes and a trip over the house. When we got back, we went for a wander arounf the hangars, and came across a guy working on his aircraft. He invited us in to have a look.

Turned out to be a Russian Yak 55. Beautiful a/c. Took a photo of it. I'll look at how to post it here later.

It had a 9 cylinder turbocharged radial engine in it. He said at half throttle, it used 70 litres of fuel per hour, and that only gave him a cruise speed of 130 knots!

He said he was about to go for a flight, so we hung around and I took some video of it. I know someone here like the sound of round. It actualy came out pretty weel, sound wise on the video, considering it was only on my mobile phone.

The video is just of it sitting and idling, bt eventually he gives it a rev and it lunges forward. I might render the vifeo without the visual, and just leave the sound for you, and upload it somewhere. I have to admit, it did sound sweet, but with a fuel burn like that, he can keep it. lol.

He said it was a 1984 model, and only had 29 hours on it when he bought it over from Russia in parts. He said that was 10 years ago.

Nice if you can aford it.

Rego was VH-YKA

Nice a/c.

Just check out this topic to see us nuts who love the sound of round - viewtopic.php?t=4905

Here are Cowra there is a Yak 52, Yak 18T and a Nanchang, all sporting the sound of round. Just a sweet sound. Ohh and there's also a Gere Sport Bi-plane with a Rotec radial in it. There's photos of this plus the Yak 18T in the photo gallery.

Guest Chainsaw
I know someone here like the sound of round.

That's me!!!! Yes. I just looovveee the Sound of Round.

Much better than smelly jets. Round = real planes :)

Thanks for that Crash.

Chainy

Guest Crash Lander

OK boys, I've figured out how to upload the video to my website, so you can download it. The video quality is not the best, because it's just from my mobile phone, but the sound is surprisingly good. It's 7.68mb total. Go to my site, and click the last sentence describing the Yak. The site is still under construction, so no other links on it work yet. The link to the YAK is the only link that actually works at the moment. How's that for commitment eh! lol!

http://www.straightandleveldownunder.net/

Also, if somone wouldn't mind capturing a screen shot of my site at that addy and pm'ing it to me, I'd appreciate it. I just want to see how it displays to people that don't have widescreen monitors.

Thanks

Pretty good for a mobile phone. Sounds great with stereo speakers turned up.

I'll get a screen shot for you when I'm on the lap top again. Using a 19" widescreen at the moment.

Hmmm 70 litres per hour for almost the same speed as a DC-3 using 360 lit per hour.

How many can it carry?

2?

Fill a Goonie and it comes to about 12 lit per hour per seat and the sound of TWO big round engines...

Nice big throaty DOUBLE row radials.

CWS has been flying at Perth over the last three days, bringin' tears to the eyes of a few nostalgiacs.