google mapping

Robbo

Guest Glenn

I checked out my old house in Sydney where I grew up. The place has changed so much. Also been looking around the neighbourhood. My house here is on it but not very clear.

I love it. They mapped my street well, and my surrounding streets. Fun to just go around and view all different places, especially if you are travelling someone and want to check out some hot spots.

Why? Its a good tool, it not only shows you what the world is like from the air but from the ground aswell. Great if you are planning a road trip, or looking for a mates house for example. Even just viewing where you are going, it is almost like ground view on a GPS just with real life pictures!

And as all the photos are taken from public land, there is not much anyone can really do about it.

AUSTRALIANS who don't want their lives invaded by Google's Street View application can have their houses removed from the program.The news follows revelations Hollywood stars' homes, and entire streets, have been deleted.

It takes only a few clicks of the button and you can request your home be wiped from Google's Street View.

The process could take a couple of minutes or a few days to administer depending on the volume of requests, according to Rob Shilkin of Google Australia.

"The owner or the occupier can request for the image to be removed," Mr Shilkin said.

"Look for Street View 'help', and click on that and you will see 'report image'.

"There have been a few requests from people in Australia."

Some of the most interesting sites in Hollywood have been removed preventing people from doing a virtual reality tour of actors' homes, visiting movie locations or even seeing crime scenes.

In some cases entire streets have been wiped from Street View existence, such as large chunks of Rodeo Drive to prevent people from even window shopping online.

Other avenues and streets in the plush suburb have also been blocked.

"An entire street can be blocked if all the residents in that street ask for it," Mr Shilkin said.

But it's not just private homes that are wiped from existence.

The iconic Chateau Marmont hotel in West Hollywood, which is chock full of Hollywood history and best known for the death of John Belushi, is seen in the distance on one angle in a frame of a neighbouring property but you can not access the front of the residence.

While privacy of Hollywood stars, streets and tourist attractions have been taken care of in the USA, Google Street View openly displays every house in Australia's Pin Oak Crt, Vermont, Victoria which is the live set for the soapie Neighbours and no doubt will be heavily looked at in the UK.

Places you can see online are the original Brady Bunch house (11222 Dilling St, North Hollywood), the house used for Happy Days which is now obscured by a tree, and instead of being located at its original address of 565 N. Cahuenga Ave, Wilshire it's five numbers down the street ( 570 N. Cahuenga Ave, Wilshire).

There are also instances where numbers in the street have been duped, doubled up or wiped to create confusion.

Winona Ryder's residence is listed as 1320 N. Doheny West Hollywood, although the Street View map lists it as 1314 N. Doheny Dve and is on the corner of Cordell Dve.