Hows the Weather?

Uncle Chop Chop

Guest OzChris
Canvas may provide shade, but it's no protection from heat.

Thats the worst thing about caravans - the heat!

At least they are cooler at night...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its blimen cold over here in NZ, had a week of nice 27-33 now its back down to 19-21.... brrr I prefer the early to mid 30s far nicer temp! Not sure if i'd cope with 45 though - although as long as it was dry heat and not humid it wouldn't be all that bad.

Guest Steve R
Just a reminder to you all today, please keep yourselves well hydrated.

....and look both ways when crossing the road children :tongue:

here are some more photos. Just heard on the scanner someone took pics of some "idiot" lighting fires in the area. :mad: they need to be shot !!!! :mad:

Its getting closer and closer :( couple of houses already gone

Source: Herald Sun

UPDATE 10.45pm: TWO suspected firebugs have been arrested on suspicion of starting monster fires threatening Victorian towns tonight. It is understood two men have been taken to Morwell Police Station for questioning about the fires which are moving closer to Gippsland towns.It is understood a light-grey Hilux ute has been towed to the station as the part of the investigation.

Hundreds of residents in the Gippsland region have been told to either evacuate or stay and defend their properties.

More than 500 firefighters including 55 units and eight helicopters are battling the blaze across 500ha of scrub land near the township of Boolarra, after two existing fires combined to threaten the town.

The CFA issued urgent warnings of possible ember attacks.

Fire authorities said there was a real threat that the 500ha blaze and the 300ha blaze could combine.

“They are less than eight kilometres apart'', CFA spokesman David Jarwood said.

“It's a real concern because both fires are in quite populated areas''.

Dozens of homes were at risk from the combined fire fronts.

“We have issued eight urgent threat warnings. At this point the residents who have stayed behind are under real threat of ember attacks'', DSE spokesperson Rachel Dawkins said.

Hundreds more firefighters earlier battled fires burning in the east and west of the state as temperatures soar past 40C today, and authorities declared tomorrow another day of total fire ban for the whole of Victoria.

At Gippsland, in Victoria's east, where the fires combined, nearby communities have been put on high alert.

The Darlimurla fire, now three kilometres north-east of Mirboo North, near Darlimurla is burning in a southerly direction and is estimated to be 300 hectares in size.

About 200 firefighters are also battling a fire near Delburn in Gippsland, now spread over 500ha after four smaller fires combined this afternoon, with authorities now issuing an urgent threat message.

Country Fire Authority deputy chief fire officer Geoff Conway said weary crews had fought an all-day battle on a number of fronts.

Earlier he said they looked to have gained the upper hand.

Residents have been warned of possible ember attack before 8pm.

“It's quite difficult country, there are quite a number of fire trucks and four aircraft working on that fire and there's still quite a lot of work to be done before it is safe,'' Mr Conway said.

The Delburn complex of fires forced the closure of the Strzelecki Hwy at 10 Mile Creek, Yinnar-Driffield Rd, Creamery Rd north of Yinnar and Yinnar-Driffield Rd south of Yinnar.

Residents in Darlimurla and surrounding areas have also been warned they may be directly impacted by smoke and embers from another fire and were advised to have their fire plans ready.

The flare-up left some lingering concerns because of its proximity to houses.

“I'm encouraging people in the area to be aware that the fire is there and to start taking all the precautions,'' Mr Conway said.

“It's not the best day to be fighting fires, it's very hot and arduous conditions, so far the firefighters have done a great job and so has the community.''

More than 555ha of blue gum plantation and surrounding grassland has been burnt after fire broke out near Branxholme, north of Portland, this afternoon.

Residents in nearby North Byaduk and Byaduk were earlier warned to be aware of flying ash and embers as winds pushed the fire in a south easterly direction.

While resident were no longer under direct threat from this fire, they still needed to remain alert due to a high level of fire activity still in the area.

CFA spokesman Dan Connell said 38 trucks and two water bombing aircraft were at the scene with reinforcements on the way.

Officer Conway said the prospects of containing it were encouraging.

“We are confident we will be able to control that fire in the very near future,'' Mr Conway said.

A total of 38 trucks and four aircraft were involved in the fight, but authorities remained concerned about the potential for the blaze to spread with a southwesterly wind change expected on Thursday evening.

“If that happens it can create quite a lot of problems for the firefighters in controlling the edges of the fire if the wind changes direction. We're watching that very closely,'' he added.

The Deparment of Sustainability and Environment is also fighting a spot fire that has broken out on crown land in Killarney, west of Warrnambool.

The fires are being fueled by tinder dry conditions across the state after 12 years of drought.

Searing heat, which reached 45C in parts of Victoria, and northerly winds have also hampered firefighters.

Earlier today a shed was destroyed after fire burned 4ha of scrub and grassland in Drummond North, south of Bendigo.

At least nine firetrucks and two water bombing aircraft fought for at least an hour to bring the fire under control.

Guest Darren Masters

Sydney in for it again toward the weekend:

Forecast for Tuesday

Partly cloudy, with the chance of a late shower or thunderstorm, chiefly in the west. Light to moderate north to northeast winds turning moderate southeasterly during the day.

Precis: Mostly fine.

City: Min: 22 Max: 29

West: Min: 19 Max: 34 Wednesday Mostly fine.

City: Min: 22 Max: 29

West: Min: 19 Max: 34 Thursday Fine.

City: Min: 21 Max: 29

West: Min: 18 Max: 38 Friday Fine.

City: Min: 22 Max: 31

West: Min: 19 Max: 39 Saturday Fine.

City: Min: 22 Max: 33

West: Min: 19 Max: 41 Sunday Fine.

City: Min: 24 Max: 34

West: Min: 21 Max: 42

Just a 'friendly' chat... (chainsaw not required)

No just Bottled Canal Water :lol:

Darren it was proberbly the hottest Heat Wave I have experianced in my Life. 4 Days in a row over 40 Degrees. The coolest it was during the night was around 28 Degrees until Friday Night when the cool change come in and it droped to about 15 Degrees. My room is bad as the sun sets into the room and it was like an oven. Sleeping was hard and in all truth I didn't get much until Friday Night.Sleppet for 14 hours and was good as new on Saturday.

On Wednesday the Wind was shocking. The Shed at Work has Asbestos Roof and Walls and it kept the heat in. Even starting at 6am the Shed was a Balmy 41 Degrees and didn't get any cooler. It was very hard as I was outside alot of the time. I had to get some cars out of a Yard that was in direct Sunlight for most of the day and the car was so hot that you couldn't touch the car without burning yourself and if you managed to get in the car the seat was so hot that you couldn't even sit on it. the best part was going home in the car with the Air Con Cranked RIGHT UP!!!

The heat has left us (Victoria) and is now a beautiful 28-32 degrees everyday for the rest of the week. I can live with that because it gets cooler at night. Power went out on Friday Night and was out for about 2 Hours and the Trains was in a state of dissaray. If you live in Melbourne you would know how bad it was.

To those in Adelaide and Sydney stay inside with the Air Con on and drink plenty of Water. My heart goes out to you.

Robbo. I know what it is like to be close to a Fire. I was a Volunteer Fire Fighter with the CFA before I moved down to Melbourne. I was at the Gippsland Fires a few years ago and did 3 tour of Duties. The 2 Idiots that lit the fire should be thrown in the fire and left there. ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!!!!!!! Fwits!

Guest Darren Masters

Sure does Chris. Not looking forward to it again as we just got over it. I am in the Western suburbs too where it is always the hottest in Sydney.

Adelaide must had drawn the short straw.... I remember the start on last year they had something like 17 Days in a row over 35 Degrees and now this killer Heat Wave. I hear that Northern Queensland is having floods. Can you send that water down here becasue it is dry as.

Guest OzChris

Yeah, too right chop! We need water for sure!!

I heard on the radio this morning that January was the dryest month in 50+ years in Victoria!

This drought is getting scary! As are the floods and cyclone up north...