Advice

Guest ducky

Hi,

I'm a Year 12 student approaching the end of schooling and I'm thinking about my future. I've always wanted to do an engineering degree, and thats what I'm going to do. Having said that, I have also always had an interest in aviation and I really want to learn to fly, maybe even as a career on its own, or simply just to complement my engineering career. I'm also taking a year to go overseas before uni, so I've decided that later next year, when I'm back, I'll at least start towards it by getting a job to fund training. But when I went looking around for flight schools, the idea of doing a helicopter license came up. I really like the idea of doing it, but I'm not really sure where it could take me in comparison to an fixed wing license. Anyone got any advice for me?

Ducky

Guest aviatrix27

Welcome Ducky.

There are so many options - all with associated costs and benefits. I'm a private pilot and fly purely for fun, but other members here are working in the aviation industry so would be more help to you. Don't forget to look for scholarships - flying training is expensive, so you should grab any help along the way.

Why not call in to the chat room - especially when there's more than one member already in there. If the people there can't help you maybe they can direct you to a place to find the information you're looking for.

Good luck!

I have several friends in NZ who have done their engineering training and work with the RNZAF, and now after having left the RNZAF are flying commercially for Eagle Air etc in NZ. One still keeps his hand in engineering, and is the one who has restored the engines on the Bristol Freighter to running condition.

So a possibility is to go thru the RAAF engineering training, I know in NZ the RNZAF send their recruits thru uni, so Im sure the RAAF would do the same. So you wont loose the uni experience. Then after the period with the RAAF and with all the experience you have from the RAAF you can then head out and get your 'wings' and fly for the rest of your life should you so wish.

Guest Darren Masters

Firstly welcome to the forums If you are looking at rotary be prepared to fork out $450/hr and a minum of 100hrs in that before a cattle mustering station even looks at you. Then, be prepared to fly for peanuts. Apparently there are quite a few rotary jobs o/s if you are prepared to re-locate. Personally, I would look into a cadetship with someone like REX and again the money is not crash hot. I make more as a flight attendant but it depends on what you want to do. Call flying schools and speak to them too. Ask them to send you information and they will be more than happy. Not trying to put you off just stating some facts. As Robbo has said, try and get along to the seminars too.

Hi,I'm a Year 12 student approaching the end of schooling and I'm thinking about my future. I've always wanted to do an engineering degree, and thats what I'm going to do. Having said that, I have also always had an interest in aviation and I really want to learn to fly, maybe even as a career on its own, or simply just to complement my engineering career. I'm also taking a year to go overseas before uni, so I've decided that later next year, when I'm back, I'll at least start towards it by getting a job to fund training. But when I went looking around for flight schools, the idea of doing a helicopter license came up. I really like the idea of doing it, but I'm not really sure where it could take me in comparison to an fixed wing license. Anyone got any advice for me?

Ducky

If you are prepared to sign your life away for a few years, try the RAAF first. Yes, they would take you through uni and an engineering degree if you meet their reqirements, plus teach you to fly. You could even go the way of rotary. But the standards are very high, both academically and physically. It's the cheapest way to learn (they pay you to do it!) and the training is good. After a few years you can exit the forces and fly commerically, by then you should have enough hours to land a job without to much difficulty.

Otherwise its a long slog, very expensive (especially rotary) and no guarantee of a job at the end of it. If you have rich parents....

Coop

Hey Ducky

Im also in grade 12 and hehe what fun it is but yeah im looking into Grittith Uni as well as the Rex Cadetship Next year, i also fly our of the Goldcoast at Air Gold Coast they arnt too bad and currently doing PPL but again its all up to what you want to do and Good luck with your HSC or OP where ever you are hehe

Mattie