RAAF F/A-18 Hornets to visit Temora 5/6AUG

Matt

I know where we're headed this weekend

RAAF F/A-18 Hornets to visit Temora Aviation Museum

The Temora Aviation Museum is excited to announce that Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) F/A-18 Hornets are scheduled to attend our August 5th & 6th Flying Weekend.

F/A-18 Hornets are rarely seen at rural air-displays thus making their appearance at Temora a unique opportunity for Museum visitors to see the aircraft up close. The F/A-18 Hornet is a multi role fighter designed for both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions and is one of the most potent fighter and accurate strike attack aircraft in the world. Manufactured by Boeing it incorporates two 7,258 kg thrust General Electric F404 turbo fan engines which allow the aircraft to reach speeds of Mach 1.8 (2,220 km/h) and reach altitudes above 45,000 feet. The Hornets participating at the Temora Aviation Museum’s Flying Days are from RAAF 77 Squadron based at RAAF Base Williamtown, NSW.

It is planned that four Hornets will conduct a formation aerial display. Also during the flying program Squadron Leader Paul Simmons will conduct a solo high energy aerobatics routine. Throughout the day one F/A-18 will be on static display allowing Museum visitors the rare opportunity to take an up-close look at this RAAF frontline fighter aircraft.

The Museum Flying Weekends offer a unique opportunity for visitors to observe the Museum’s collection of historic airworthy aircraft take to the skies. The Museum anticipates a huge weekend with the inclusion of visiting aircraft such as a P-51 Mustang, P-40 Kittyhawk and a WWII Boomerang. Visitors can also expect to see the Museum collection airborne including the Tiger Moth, Wirraway, Canberra, Vampire, Dragonfly and Spitfire. The Museum’s Gloster Meteor F.8, which is painted in RAAF 77 Squadron markings, will also take to the skies. The RAAF operated Meteor F.8’s in Korea in the early 1950s, with a Meteor F.8 being the last RAAF aircraft involved in air-to-air combat. Kenny Love, Chief Executive of the Museum says, “The opportunity to have both a current serving modern attack fighter and the world’s only airworthy Meteor F.8 displayed together is unique, especially considering that both aircraft are painted in RAAF 77 Squadron markingsâ€Â.

This weekend is planned to be a spectacular event that will entertain visitors of all ages. Come along and bring the family to Temora Aviation Museum’s special flying weekend on the 5th and 6th of August 2006. The Museum will be open from 10.00 am, flying begins at 11.00 am.

Good stuff Geoff. See you there.

I live on the NE boundary of the Kapooka Restricted Airspace, so give us a waggle as you go over today if you come up that way, and I'll come out of the shed.

Regards Geoff 2

Wednesday and Thursday thiw eeek the Hornets have been out practicing the routine! a bit more slow speed manouvers in the show now, you guys are in for a treat! oh, and take some ear plugs! the flying at 50Kts the length of the strip , lighting the afterburners then climbimg vertical can get a little noisy!

When i get back to work next week, i will get a copy of the routine and post it for those who are interested..

not sure if its 50 kts, but its not very fast

The aircraft is at what looks to be about 45 Deg AOA, full flap, both leading edge and full span trailing edge, flying level at full power. moving very slowly. i would be willing to bet its no more then 100 kts max, but ill find out next week the exact speed.

Ultralights