Women Pilot OZ History

Guest whirlygirl

Guest whirlygirl

Does anyone know of any published books specifically on women pilot history in Australia, apart from the 1986 "The girls were up there too", by Sheila Mann?

I don't mean personal stories by individuals, but genuine, reliable historic facts of the last 100 aviation years.

I have written one and need to get it published; I cannot find this specific information has been previously collated and publicly told, which feels like a great oversight for women. Information would be very much appreciated.

• 5 months later...
Guest whirlygirl

My Book Launch of "First Females Above Australia" will be at Qantas Heritage Centre, Sydney on Monday December 6th, 3-6pm. RSVPs necessary to attend, so must have names by Dec 1st. Pre-Launch discount price for book $20/copy free shipping.

History never before published, featuring 100 short bios plus approx 300 photos of Australian women pilot "firsts", commemorating eminent Australians.

0404 172 172

Guest aviatrix27

Hi R, I thought it might have been you. I won't be able to be there, but thanks for the invite that arrived in the mail a few days ago. I'll contact you about a book by email.

Hi all, I contacted a friend who has made the following suggestion(s).

Hopefully of some help to you.

Regards, Geoff.

"I have read several books written by famous women pilots from Australia - - There is one about Jean Batten, another about Amy Johnson, another about Berryl Markham (West with the Night) - I hope I'm spelling these names right. Would they be listed somewhere in Google? Great reads, as I recall. Even though some of the books were historical novels, they included lots of facts about their flights."

Guest whirlygirl

Many thanks for that, and also for your interest.

Yes, I know of these ... but none of these greats were Australian.

My book salutes Australian women pilots who made "firsts", but does mention Jean

Batten, Amy Johnson, Elly Beinhorn, Betty Miller, Sheila Scott as aviatrix who came to Australia and created great enthusiasm and inspiration with the general public, who then supported the Australian girls.

Book Launch in Sydney 6/12/10 is developing into a top event, too, and pre-launch book sales selling like hot cakes.

Jean Burns, now 90, is Opening it; she was youngest in 1937 and first female parachutist. Great lady. Lots of folk flying-in for the day, as the timeslot fits this need.

Thanks for your contact. Best regards.

Guest whirlygirl

FYI - Beryl Markham was born in England, moved to Kenya at age 3, became the first woman CPL in Kenya, which was under British rule, not sure what year. Lived in California for awhile, but returned to live in Kenya. Was the youngest woman horse trainer in Kenya.

It is interesting in my research of women pilot "greats" that they usually have excelled in another field, besides aviation.

PS: The Monash Pioneer site is a great one but its a shame you can't get edits on it these days. My email is wrong.

Guest whirlygirl

Thanks for that idea. I love the book and have two copies. Know Neville Parnell and his wife very well (her since 1962).

My book is now at the printers with Book Launch 6/12 at Sydney Qantas Heritage.

Looks like a great presentation happening for such history.

Thanks for your input and your interest. Most helpful.

G'Day Whirlygirl,

I have a collection of about 350 books by and about early aviators- and all of the books mentioned above are in my collection.

No, I know of no other collection of historical information about Australian women aviators. There are individual stories, of course, such as Nancy Bird, Gaby Kennard, Chubby Miller, and Robin Miller, but I am not aware of any historical books such as you appear to have written.

Well done! I look forward to acquiring one soon!!

Regards

Coop