B747 versus ash cloud

Guest scott fletcher

Guest scott fletcher

with the ash cloud over australia the last few days. this nice find came up in one of my searches. there is allso a book written about this event written by the captian.

titled- all four engines have failed. if any one is intrested.....................................................................

Unknown to the crew at the time - the aircraft had flown into a cloud of volcanic ash thrown up by the eruption of Mount Galungung - approximately 180 kilometres south east of Jakarta - all four engines failed.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2011/06/15/3244805.htm?site=perth

Guest David C

I remember this incident well .. If my memory serves me well , the crew had recently undergone simulator training with the exact same scenario shortly before it happened for real , and this was a big contributing factor in their decisions on the day ..

I believe the crew and pax used to meet annually after the event as a reunion , calling themselves the "Galungung Gliding Club "... how good is that ..

Dave C

Guest scott fletcher

a lot of the passengers of this flight now live in perth.

i belive capt moody still works for BA in a non flying role.

allso if i remember from readying is book . that since this took place, that when put throu this event in a simulator that no pilots have been able to get all the engines restated, and some just crashed.

This incident was covered in an episode of Air Crash Investigation which has played a number of times on the National Geographic channel on Foxtel.