CH601XL Kits

ianrat

Zenith 601xl Cable Tensioning One method to make sure that your aileron control cables stay tight is to tension them to about 75 pounds for the first flights. After a few hours of flying, tension them to about 30 pounds.

In the first +25 hours of your experimental flight test program, I would recommend that you check the tension often. Tensioning the cables should be done in warm weather. Tension should than be checked every 50 hours, or sooner if the aircraft has not been flown for some time.

Rudder tension should be about 22 lbs +/- 5 Aileron tension should be about 30 lbs +/- 5 Elevator tension should be about 40 lbs +/- 5

Sincerely

Chris Heintz

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have only been tinkering since coming back from Oshkosh. We have been helping the third kit builder in our team to catch up with us. The bothers have been working on the engine cowling. i will post some more pictures soon.

Ianrat

I am going GA .. already have the rego VH CSE.. I am building under the SAAA. I spoke to RAA and they said come on down anytime.. its just a paperwork exercise..

Spoke to CASA and they said it was hard to come up as no building inspections, test flight paperwork, lots of issues ect.. I may go down test the waters later, if I dont like RAA I can always go back to VH.

The beauty of the Zodiac..

Chris.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

I have finally gotten up of my bum and done so more on the plane.

I have finished putting the trim kit into the aileron. and now have the tank fitted into the wing.

[ATTACH]6469.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6470.vB[/ATTACH]

I have used black Able flex rubber that is used in concrete expansion joints. This fills the gap between the skin and the tank very well. it easily trimmed in thickness with a bread knife.

[ATTACH]6467.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6468.vB[/ATTACH]

We are awaiting the cost to upgrade to the new 650 canopy. so we have stopped work on that section for the moment.

We also have nearly completed the engine cowling. Will post pictures asap.

Ianrat

11092008155.jpg.c42d6223f4d2fd445b4b983b2d134527.jpg

11092008156.jpg.ae7f72ffeec706b2597732e5daf0e478.jpg

11092008159.jpg.2ccf56590c8f11a5e8145e30822d8a05.jpg

11092008160.jpg.3c43906b0b2d1627133afbc249fcaf6a.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi All

I,ve been looking at the 601 its on my short list along with RV12 and Gary morgans cheeta,but I called sport air services today to get some info only to find out they have closed ,phone is disconnected and shop is gone. If anyone is building a 601 in or around Brisbane could you let me know ,would love to have a chat

Cheers John

Sport Air Services

I've just rang Sport Air Services on 07 5536 3622 and spoke to someone there. I was told that they have moved hangers but all is well. Perhaps someone who knows them and is local might like to confirm this as I have a very vested interest. I've paid a deposit on a XL quickbuild kit and am about to pay the balance!!!!!

Paul Toone

As of today received emails from sports air confirming outstanding orders are arriving soon [delay due to heavy snow]and they are taking new orders as usual.I spoke to them two days ago[Liezel] and they are getting ready for Narromine Airshow.So it appears everything is still on track. CheersT87 [601xl builder]

John we are presently involved in the building of 3 CH601XL here in brisbane. Feel free to contact us at any time. You can have a look at our plane, we are just waiting for the cannopy to arrive.

Ianrat

601 Xl's alive and well

guys

Sportair is alive and well, Liezel is alive and well, I just spoke to her this afternoon at 4pm. They changed the phone number a few months ago, the number is 07 55363622. or Email her on [email protected]..

There will be a big Zenith BBQ and get together on the Sat at Nat Fly 09 . We will even be having a guest speaker from the USA come and give a talk on ALL things Zenith.. So if ever you were thinking of getting a Zentih product CH 650 or 750 STOL aircraft, now would be the time to come to natfly and have all your Q's answered. so come up and look, at the aircaft, there will even be a QB kit on display.

We now have over 65 people building XL's with 3 XL's being flown in the last couple of months..Yaahoo.

Techie 49 contact me off list and I will help you with XL stuff and the newsletters :hug:I wish I had bought a QB kit as it saves so much time and good value for money.

John Contact me off line :thumb_up:as well and I can help you with your thought process and Aircraft decision.. I originally wanted an RV9.. I am still happy with my XL but the new 650 is even better..

Chris

Zodiac Xl

Jab3300

well chaps, Sport Air is contactable on the no. and email that Chris put up.

07 5536 3622 [email protected]

we are bringing a kit to Nat Fly 09

I will check with Liezel re the phone no. in the ad, in the magazine.

We are located in the AWA flying academy building and hangar at Gold Coast Airport.

note, we did move out of the little hangar early last year.

safe travels

harry.

i haven't been here for a while,

correction to the above,

Sport Air Services is still contactable on the above no,

but we do not have anything to do with Zenith, since that part of the business was sold to Alan.

Liesel went long ago also and the email address above is no longer,

if you still want to contact me, email [email protected]

• 1 month later...

New Cannopy

The new 650 canopy has finally arrived. We now can get a move on again and get this thing into the air. I have been working on the intake manifold and the baffle kit for the Corvair. I will post some more pic asap.

We have been working on the third 601 while waiting for our canopy. We used the original canopy on this plane. We will be starting on his wings next.

[ATTACH]7488.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7489.vB[/ATTACH]

Ianrat

05032009213.jpg.2bd329b81ed32a9876e60abd4469b976.jpg

05032009216.jpg.7319a8c6a15459a41646fe8413f1a719.jpg

• 2 years later...

Darren it is progressing well. The upgrade kit has been completed and so we are now in the final stages of fit out. We are hoping to start the engine for the first time over the easter break and then it shouldn't be long after that we then can move it to the air port for final wing fitting and then flight.

The other two kits that come in at the same time are also going well with one going to the airport just after easter and the third one is just finishing the last wing.

I will put some more photos up asap.

If you are in the Brisbane are drop us a line and come and have a look.

Ianrat

CH601 XL-B

Brisbane.

Hi Ianrat,

Thanks for the update, I read from another thread that you were going to use a Convair engine is that correct. Love to see some pics. I am looking for an aircraft that I can fly into remote areas of WA. I have been hiring a J230 but two issues, over weight and not too sure about Jab engines, I see alot of reports of failures or issues. Do you know of any in WA

Regards

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

We have finally fired up the Corvair engine. After a little tinkering around with the points we got it started. It ran very well and pulled like a baxxxrd. We can now get on with the final wing fitting and get the thing up to the airport for testing.

I have put up a few minutes of the engine run.

Ianrat

CH601XL-B

Brisbane

Australia.

We have finally fired up the Corvair engine. After a little tinkering around with the points we got it started. It ran very well and pulled like a baxxxrd. We can now get on with the final wing fitting and get the thing up to the airport for testing.I have put up a few minutes of the engine run.

sounds cool well done.