Homebuilt Hits Powerline And Crashes

red750

Report on Channel 7 news of a homebuilt striking a powerline and crashing in East Gippsland, near Maffra I believe. The aircraft caught fire, but the pilot escaped with a scratch according to police. The vision showed a metal frame with only the white tail (no markings) undamaged.

Guest Michael Coates

Jab Again ???

A pilot has walked away from an ultra-light plane crash near Bairnsdale in eastern Victoria, escaping just before the plane burst into flames.

Police say the single seater home-made aircraft, called a Jabiru, was flying low over farmland when it lost power about 1.00pm.

The pilot realised he was not going to make it over some nearby powerlines, so he tried to fly under them.

The plane got caught on an optical cable, causing it to crash.

The pilot managed to escape the wreckage with only a scratch on his arm.

Definitely not a Jab. Tail shape more like a Jodel from memory, they are not showing the footage now. However, the metal frame extended above the cabin and door.

Guest Michael Coates

It could simply be the aircraft had a jabiru engine and a sticker on the side so for that reason and an educated journalist calls it a jabiru aircraft. It can also be that all light aircraft are called a Cessna so it may be that all ultralight looking aircraft are now called a jabiru.....

Not this aircraft, but this is all of the plane that wasn't burnt. The fin had straight edges (no curves, a la Jodel), and was plain white.There were no markings remaining.

[ATTACH=full]1336[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18258[/ATTACH]

850491001_tailpic.jpg.0e52aa803f4d86c32bafa36d76a33024.jpg

Despite an extensive internet search, I haven't been able to find any pictures. I only saw a very brief clip, less than 5 seconds, in a preview of the news on Channel 7. I haven't seen a replay.

While I am not saying this is the aircraft type involved, it is the closest I have been able to locate, to what I recall from the news footage. The burnt out metal frame showed bars above the pilot's head position, so it was not an open or bubble canopy type. This is a kit-built Capella.

[ATTACH=full]1337[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18259[/ATTACH]

1551579191_CapellaAircraftGloryDays.jpg.0e1f2e7d05aa80751ef1c2c11e9b3aad.jpg

Guest Michael Coates

Except for no rego numbers?? It looks like a nice little plane to fly ! Just LOVE yellow planes.....

Notice the cables to the landing legs to give them strength....

That's a strong possibility, there are at least half a dozen J-3 Kittens on the RA-Au register.

[ATTACH=full]1338[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18260[/ATTACH]

hipps-j3kitten.jpg.3ab4594d63ac083d11bb075e69de57cc.jpg