Time For Another Quiz

red750

The forums have been a bit quiet lately, and with weather not all that flying friendly, I thought it might be time for another quiz.

What twin engine piston aircraft was converted to a single engine turboprop?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What twin engine piston aircraft was converted to a single engine turboprop?

It rings a bell, Peter; it's just not ringing loud enough without resorting to the almighty google.

Might need a subtle hint or two.

Cheers, Willie.

Dave C writes "I've no idea ... " fore and aft ? " ... is not a boat is it ?;)"

I was trying to be a little bit cryptic Dave. If I had said "Centre line thrust" I might as well have given the answer myself.

Here's one suggested by our winner, who is naturally excluded from this question.

There have been a number of variable geometry wing aircraft, the best known probably being the F-111. Name another that had a different type of movement, where were the wind tunnel tests conducted, and when did flight tests commence?

Name another that had a different type of movement.

Peter, I'm assuming by 'different type of movement', you mean variable geometry, but not variable sweep like the F-111, F-14, MiG-23, Su-17 & 24, B-1/Tu-160 etc..

Cheers, Willie.

Hi Willie,

Not to be difficult, but I worded it that way to allow you to interpret it. To be more specific may have made it too easy. Do you have a suggestion?

I'm thinking NASA, oblique etc., that's a different type of movement.

As for the original post, looking at the photo above, it took a while for the dots to connect, that the original twin was the civilian version of the FAC Cessna O-2 that came between the Bird Dog and the Bronco.

I thought it looked familar, I'm a bit slow sometimes.

Cheers, Willie.

Are you referring to the Phoenix, manufactured by Phoenix Air USA, from Melbourne Florida, which is certified in the US as an S-LSA Glider? This info from their website:

The Phoenix is both a Light Sport Aircraft, and it is a glider. Consequently, it can be flown by a private airplane rated pilot, a sport pilot, or a glider pilot.

Two sets of wingtips allow a flight span of 35 or 49 feet, with a hangar span of only 34 feet When flown with the 35 foot span, the Phoenix is nimble and quick, with pylon racer flight characteristics.

The dual-purpose Phoenix is THE top of the line light sport aircraft with more versatility and functionality than any other light aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...

A month since the last brain teaser, time to knock the dust off.

Can anyone identify this aircraft?