Commercial Flights Directly Over Airports?

Andy K

I was just wondering if anyone knows of the reason why a lot of commercial flights go straight over the top of other airports? For example - a lot of flights into Melbourne from the west come straight over the top of Adelaide.

I am just wondering the reason for this as opposed to sending them 10-15km away?

Thanks,

Andy K

Guest Darren Masters

They use these as Waypoints I am assuming you mean over the top of another airfield at cruise altitude? Happens everywhere around the world and is made up by airline route controllers or flight planners.

• 3 months later...

Today I witnessed for the first time an Emirates A388, fly OTT of Perth Airport and my house since they initially came into service, A6-EDZ, A380, Fl 320, SYD-DXB, UAE415. Great to watch,,they cross regally at late night, seldom in daylight, ,cheers John

• 7 months later...

Also why AC fly OTT is that major airports have a VOR, Direction finder, example, Emirates regally fly from Dubai down SE in the Indian Ocean, turn left to cross OTT of Perth (YPPH) or nearby, then veer right to the Great Australian Bight, this is also to get tail winds, saving fuel costing, then veer left across the Bight, over Adelaide or Kangaroo Is, to Melb or Sydney, other times they will fly no where near a capitol a city, it is all about cost saving fuel with tail winds, there are millions of imaginary way points, all over the world, hundreds more around and over australia, , AC use 2 radio direction finders and after they instert the next way point Latitude and longatude into these 2 radios that track one from the South and one from the East, until the needles meet, then they set up the next waypoint, this is how they find thier way around day and night from one place to another,

They use these as Waypoints I am assuming you mean over the top of another airfield at cruise altitude? Happens everywhere around the world and is made up by airline route controllers or flight planners.

Good to hear from you Darren. Don't be shy mate, you used to be such a regular.

The fact is, that in the early days aircraft flew where ever they wanted. Then came Air Traffic Control. They channeled aircraft down particular routes where there was more chance of them banging into each other, but if that happened, they'd have a better idea of where to look for the remaining bits.

I learned these facts from my old cassete recording of a speech given to investment bankers and airline staff many years ago.

A look at flightradar 24 in the early hours shows Emirates flights directly overflying Sydney en-route to Auckland long before the 6am Sydney curfew.

Kind Regards

Planey

Essentially anyone going into these places is out of your way 100 miles for descent and not much less on climb . There is no need to fly directly over waypoints . You can get a clearance direct from 500 or more miles away. Nev