1 Blade Propeller

Guest Michael Coates

Mike, The rumour mill has a retired Aero engineer somewhere near Toowoomba close to finishing converting a Blanik sailplane to be self launching, powered by a 503 Rotax driving a single bladed self feathering prop. I believe he has studied it all very thoroughly and is satisfied that his proposed setup will give him the greatest efficiency.

Jeez, get it right. It's a 582 Blue-Head Rotax.

[ATTACH]26801[/ATTACH]

And the Everel concept isn't 'self-feathering', it's more like a 'constant speed' prop: at high rpm the geometry reduces it to fine pitch so the thrust is maximised; when throttled back, it automatically coarsens pitch for best economy.

However, at much more than around 100 hp, other factors make the Everel concept inefficient.

But, you're right: somewhere near Toowoomba. And a Blanik. With the necessary mods. to allow it to fly. Rumour has it the bugger has several 'legal' Blaniks in his hangar, after some metal-bashing has been done to repair damage to one of them.

prophub2.jpg.2a9a689059a97fd4086b4cd765f58a68.jpg

Well it's a Rotax with half as many strokes as a proper engine needs, but I suppose the prop has half as many blades as seems proper, so maybe it all gels.

So it's a blue head. So what? I'm married to a red head. Both can be cantankerous little things though one is more reliable than the other. and NO! I'm not going to say which is witch.

Mike, The rumour mill has a retired Aero engineer somewhere near Toowoomba close to finishing converting a Blanik sailplane to be self launching, powered by a 503 Rotax driving a single bladed self feathering prop. I believe he has studied it all very thoroughly and is satisfied that his proposed setup will give him the greatest efficiency.

This link has some info. http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/blanik-l13-grounding.16398/page-2

Cheers Mike