Plane Spotters

old man emu

Spotted this Luftwaffe aircraft parked in the bizjet area of Kingsford-Smith last Sunday. I wonder who it brought here.

[ATTACH]37321[/ATTACH]

Sorry about the quality of the pic - old mobile phone camera. The military marking (iron Cross) is in the break in the trim line under "bundesrepublik" and the word "luftwaffe" is on the vertical stabiliser just visible above the winglet.

[ATTACH]37322[/ATTACH]

IMG_0222.JPG.0d5c1445b8243c7b614db2c149a49a78.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG.4da14db3186895733b6be2c5b3928b0a.JPG

Not mine Planey. Wish they were. I visit that site frequently - as well as being a YSSY planespotting site, they also have links to Australian and international aircraft registries for checking aircraft details.

All taken approx 6 km's from where I live. I often take a drive around near the old control tower and see many spotters there with camera's poised.

I just need a bigger lens for my Canon for some of the more distant shots.

Haven't been near YSSY since around 1983, then only as a passenger. I live in Melbourne and haven't been near any airport in nearly 12 months.

Plans for a major upgrade to Terminal 2 at Melbourne Airport include a bar and viewing deck for planespotters on the roof of the terminal, with clear views of the runways. However, I'm not likely to see it. Plans are scheduled to be complete by 2038. I'd be 95 by then.

Yes Graeme, I visited that deck back when 747's first arrived. I loved the deck at Essendon when it was the domestic airport. A few photos of Electra's, DC9's and a DC6B taken from there. The deck is still there, but it's in an ASIC area now. Essendon is almost impossible as a planespotting airport now. Obstructions or closed off areas everywhere. About the only place is around near the police and air ambulance station - or it was the last mime I was there.

re: Aviation photography.

On airport-data.com, one member has 91,800 photos uploaded and claims to have almost 50,000 images to edit and upload. I'm a minnow, with only 1154 images uploaded. I rank 155th in their contributor list. Some people have nothing better to do. I guess it helps if you work in the industry.

We operated the B 727's out of Essendon. They are pretty short runways especially 34. you had to have a decent wind to need to use it which helped.. I've seen some pretty hairy landing s in B 727's there. You needed to plant them and get the spoilers, reverse thrust and brakes into action pretty quickly. No auto spoiler on a B 727... Nev

• 1 month later...

I must say, I'm a little surprised. I put a classified on this site advertising a CD of aircraft photos from the last 6 Avalon Air Shows, plus the RAAF 100th Anniversary Airshow. A total of over 400 photos, at 10c per photo, or $40 postage paid in Austratlia, I received one enquiry, as to whether I had a certain aircraft. I thought there might have been a bit more interest from this community. So I decided to try a wider audience and posted on Facebook Marketplace. Over 4200 views, with 5 responses. When I replied, they all said they clicked the More Information button by mistake. I don't know where else one would get photos for 10c. But it's not worth burning 1 photo on a CD. I didn't expect to sell hundreds, but half a dozen would have been nice.

• 6 months later...
Spotted this Luftwaffe aircraft parked in the bizjet area of Kingsford-Smith last Sunday. I wonder who it brought here.

[ATTACH]37321[/ATTACH]

Sorry about the quality of the pic - old mobile phone camera. The military marking (iron Cross) is in the break in the trim line under "bundesrepublik" and the word "luftwaffe" is on the vertical stabiliser just visible above the winglet.

[ATTACH]37322[/ATTACH]

Beautiful aircraft

• 3 months later...