Skyranger Nynja soon as a 600 kg MTOW variant

Blueadventures

'Flylight' in UK the makers of Skyranger aircraft have advised that they are pretty much there with a 600kg Nynja variant, and BMAA have been ticking off the structural test reports. We are just working on a change to the main landing gear ( composite legs this time - from same supplier Eurostar use.)

We are just starting supplying kits with the 600 kg mods - updated landing gear to follow.

This will make available a great aircraft with better load capability. This is excellent news for this aircraft line.

I will plan to mod mine up before over the next wet season.

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Mike: That's really exciting news! I would be interested to know what you have to change to get the uprated MTOW.

Info so far. Should have a package set later in the year I expect. Of their forum - We are pretty much there with a 600kg Nynja variant, and BMAA have been ticking off the structural test reports. We are just working on a change to the main landing gear ( composite legs this time - from same supplier Eurostar use.) We are just starting supplying kits with the 600kg mods - updated landing gear to follow. We have beefed up the front connection plate from front lift strut to leading edge to 3mm and increased the diameter of the anti drag bracing wire in the wing. And there is an inner sleeve tube slid inside the front lift strut. I look forward to reading their Pilot notes etc when available.

Cheers

• Informative 1

Good to see the increase.

To be competitive these days, an RAA regoed aircraft really needs to be 600kg to have widespread appeal.

One of my "must haves" was 600kg along with 100 litres minimum fuel which are linked.

It maybe ok in other smaller countries to have less weight/fuel but Australia is bloody big!

• Agree 1

Good to see the increase.

To be competitive these days, an RAA regoed aircraft really needs to be 600kg to have widespread appeal.

One of my "must haves" was 600kg along with 100 litres minimum fuel which are linked.

It maybe ok in other smaller countries to have less weight/fuel but Australia is bloody big!

Agree. Mine carries 110 lts. 52 in each wing tank and a 6 lts collector tank. Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Just ordered the 600kg wing upgrade kit (bracket kit and larger diameter brace wire) this weekend so I'll have it onhand when I want to fit. Also getting the spacers for bigger tyres and they are making the

alternate nose wheel leg for the bigger tyre.

95920152_3490175550997293_6925128907846844416_n.thumb.jpg.5715bd98e37de13f6340f06b3716a250.jpgIMG_3099.jpg.0eab8b55bcb15362257389f98d45c130.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am really happy for all the Nynja owners out there that the 600 kg upgrade is retrofitable.

I wonder how much of a weight increase there will be in the airframe?

Hi 80 Larger tyres, main wheel spacers and nose leg is 9 kg. The wing kit won't be much and then there is the beefed up undercarriage. We'll know in time.

BTW do you have vortex generators installed on your Nynja? Just asking as the higher MTOW will increase your stall speed.

No, present Stall 35 kts at 540kg. Factory will determine new stall and I will verify on mine as well when its done, most likely end of this year. Undercarriage not available at present as still under design, development and testing. They als have a factory built at 520kg for France so the company is serious about having a varity available for the various markets. Cheers

• 6 months later...

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum, and own a Skyranger Swift, powered by a Jabiru 2200.

In South Africa my plane's MTOW is listed at 450 kg, but I want to upgrade to 600 kg.

I'm looking for advice on what upgrades I can do in order to achieve that goal.

Should anyone have any advice, please e-mail me at: [email protected]

Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards

Andrew Overall

ZU-EXS 

Flylight Airsport in UK sell the wing upgrade kits.  I have bought two kits one for mine and one for a mates, both Nynjas.  Not very expensive.  The kits fit the Swift as well.  All Swift and Nynja kits have the 600kg wings as standard now and since early 2019.  Still the Undercarriage upgrade is under development, most likely held up with the COVID situation.  I read the aircraft are certified for 525kg in France, we have 540 kg with wing tanks in Australia. Cheers.

Edited by Blueadventures

Just the bracket pieces in my 14 June post, plus a thicker wing brace wire in each wing and a cross tube doubler behind the seat that their plastic fuel tanks sit on.  You will see it in the current Swift build manual on their Webb site an email to them will advise prices, not very expensive.

1 minute ago, Blueadventures said:

Just the bracket pieces in my 14 June post, plus a thicker wing brace wire in each wing and a cross tube doubler behind the seat that their plastic fuel tanks sit on.  You will see it in the current Swift build manual on their Webb site an email to them will advise prices, not very expensive.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Last night face book showed a video of the factory drop testing the 600 kg undercarriage and it performed great.  Said "coming soon" so approval must be on the horizon.

Will be good when available; I'll be fitting one for sure as will give awesome load carrying at an extra about 50kg.

Cheers

Mike

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...

600kg is almost available.  Latest news from UK on 12 August 2021.  Taking an example to a show over there and the test flying and sign off is being planned in the near future.

I can't wait will make for an awesome alternative for flyers.

234505988_4233933510022454_323705973432418651_n.jpg

• Like 5

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, eightyknots said:

This 600 kg upgrade should open the market wide for Skyrangers.  

They have 40 fitted or being fitted and another 10 coming soon, I hope to get one of those 10 and if not one out of the next batch.  They have progressed at a steady rate in case some more refinement is needed.  They are working on 50 litre wing tanks similar to what we do.  One thing that is certain is that they fully test and test fly their products and developments so are good when available.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...