Tyabb shutdown

fly_tornado

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Can't really comment because I'm not aware of the underlying issues. But, having said that it is a shame it's happened. I do know some councils behave the way they do simply out of spite. 

Disgraceful behavior by the council but typical of most councils at the moment  our local council (latrobe city) wont let fallen trees and overgrown grass at the front of the airport be removed citing that is is native vegetation etc  but are quiet happy to cut down native vegetation at the rear of the airfield to allow  bike path to be constructed 

The problem these days is we have too many folks in positions but lacking any qualifications to do their job. Tree-huggers, flat-earthers and herbivores taking over the world and making it hard for the rest of us....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately too many Council CEO's see aerodromes as a budget black hole (even if they are not). It would seem that it is politically more palatable to spend millions on new boat ramps, football ovals etc etc than to maintain vital infrastructure that may have a use once in a while eg fires and floods or medivac.  Because as a group we prefer to stay away from the public glare it is easy for a noisy group to seem bigger than they really are an thus attract support within Councils. In addition do not underestimate the "wokeness" of lower order council employees who have their agendas looking for support. Politics breeds strange bedfellows.

No we want councils to look after the council area and provide infrastructure and services.

The risk stuff is often bulldust to cover the real agenda they have.

Risk is code in many cases " we are negligent and know it, but instead of been good, we will restrict your wellbeing "

councils job is to return a profit for the people that pay for the councillor's elections. 

No it's not, it's to carry out functions the property owners need, at cost, and split the cost up between all owners.

The owners decide the functions.

• Agree 2

Parramatta council spent $5,million for a cycle path Less than 15 metre's from the road. (quiet road)

Now want;s to put in a skateboard Or BMX track,

But No toilet facilities.

Too much "Rates collection", I think.

spacesailor

Which planet do you live on? Rarely do any consultation exercises ever result in changes that the ratepayers want. Agendas are always decided by the bureaucrats. Social engineering is at the core of local government activities.

• Agree 1

No it's not, it's to carry out functions the property owners need, at cost, and split the cost up between all owners.

on paper that's how it works but why would a foreign company donate so much to our political parties?

Which planet do you live on? Rarely do any consultation exercises ever result in changes that the ratepayers want. Agendas are always decided by the bureaucrats. Social engineering is at the core of local government activities.

I live on Planet Earth, and the "planner" part of my tag relates to a few things I do now and again.

What you're sprouting falls into the category of "Why should I do anything, they'll never listen to me" and unsurprisingly nothing in that category matters or is taken notice of or compells a Council to act differently. 

At their disposal the property owner has:

Elections

Access to Councillors both written and verbal

Consultations

Objections, submissions

Press

Rescissions

Panel Hearings

Legislation

VCAT in Victoria, similar tribunals in every State.

Ministerial call-ins

State Government Upper House

State Government Cabinet

External Administrators

Municipal Inspectors

IBAC (different bodies in each State)

Over the years I've used all of these checks and balances except the last three which usually leave irrepairable damage.

ANY property owner in Australia has access to this formidable array.

If the property owners want to set a policy for Council to follow, they can provided they have a compelling case or reasonable numbers.

On the other hand, just looking at airfields for example, I worked with one person, we found a compelling reason a person should be prohibited from buying an airfield and the airfield was not sold, on another the RA aircraft changed their circuit pattern and the residents withdrew their action, on another couple compelling evidence was presented which stopped the Council in its tracks, on another couple, even though I provided bulletproof advice the airfields opted to "talk to the Councils", shot themselves in the foot and lost their airfields.

FT - people donate to elected officials to get favours; they don't have to be foreign

There are laws to prevent bribery, stacking votes, misrepresentation etc. and the success stories always occur in Councils where the ratepayers don't care enough to use even one of the checks and balances outlined above. In every one of those cases the law is set up so they can stop it.

Since when are councils only about the ratepayers?

No they are the 3 rd arm of government and are duty bound to the residents and others who enter a local gov. area.

Yes they get rates but they also get funding from state and fed governments and non rate sources.

We all have to vote and thus they are responsible to us the people. Not just those that own property.

Its a democracy not a rateocracy.

Since when are councils only about the ratepayers?

No they are the 3 rd arm of government and are duty bound to the residents and others who enter a local gov. area.

Yes they get rates but they also get funding from state and fed governments and non rate sources.

We all have to vote and thus they are responsible to us the people. Not just those that own property.

Its a democracy not a rateocracy.

Yes, lessees, visitors and tourists can and do participate in some activities.

If you want to do something about State and Federal funding, you need to go to the State or Federal Government who lay down the conditions of the grant. 

What you're sprouting falls into the category of "Why should I do anything, they'll never listen to me" and unsurprisingly nothing in that category matters or is taken notice of or compells a Council to act differently.

Turbs, After hundreds of thousands dollars in court cases (all which we won), half a lifetime battling councils, getting the Act changed on more than one occasion, employees terminated, working within councils, making representations to all levels of government, in regular contact with local government Ministers (two of whom I count as friends) and a number of other things I am prevented by law to talk about, ANY impact I may have had has been temporary. The System merely shrugs and carries on as though nothing happened and victimizes me and mine at every turn.

I appreciate that you have great faith in the system, but what others are saying here is borne out of a lived experience.

• Like 2