Finding out of the way airstrips

Toppee

I'm a student pilot on my way t oPPL. When I get there I was hoping to be able to visit friends in Lakes Entrance and Port Campbell (actually Timboon) I can see an airport at Lakes Entrance (though landing fees seem high!) but wondered about port campbell. I know there is a helicopter base at port campbell and I know planes fly down there to show off the 12 apostles but not sure if I can get to my friends at Timboon by plane? Whats the best way to find out? Just lookup the ERSA?

Cobden is a really friendly strip. Lakes entrance landing fees are pretty steep. There is a strip at the top of the hill before you get to the township but not sure of the go there.

There are two strips down near lakes entrance. Sounds like you have been looking at YGRL.

Give them a ring at YLKE. Interesting sloping grass strip and very modest fee even for for overnight parking. Still only 5 minutes out of town.

-I believe the country airstrip guide can be purchased as part of a subscription to a well-known Electronic Flight Bag-

Yes it can! But to be honest I didn't find much in it that cannot be found from other sources online. Even though it is renewed every year, (and so you have to re-subscribe annually) I felt that some of the information was very old and bears little relationship to the situation on the ground, at least at the airstrips I visited (predominantly in the Territory).

That said I will resubscribe... Its fun to look through and plan adventures. But the airstrip guides on here are actually very useful tools especially for trip planning...

• Like 1

I'm a student pilot on my way t oPPL. When I get there I was hoping to be able to visit friends in Lakes Entrance and Port Campbell (actually Timboon) I can see an airport at Lakes Entrance (though landing fees seem high!) but wondered about port campbell. I know there is a helicopter base at port campbell and I know planes fly down there to show off the 12 apostles but not sure if I can get to my friends at Timboon by plane? Whats the best way to find out? Just lookup the ERSA?

Hi Toppee,

Port Campbell is helicopters only, but I have recently landed at Peterborough, which is only slightly further up the coast and a bit nearer to Timboon anyway. Landing fee is $15 and needs to be paid in advance. It is managed by 12 Apostles Helicopters from Port Campbell (they have it as an alternate in case of bad weather).

Call 03 5598 8283 for info, (or [email protected])

HTH

Neil

If you have OzRunways look at the 250 topo map and you will find airstrips all over the place. Remember they are private or on Crown Land and PPR is required in most cases but great to know in the event of an in-flight emergency.

• Agree 1

If you have OzRunways look at the 250 topo map and you will find airstrips all over the place. Remember they are private or on Crown Land and PPR is required in most cases but great to know in the event of an in-flight emergency.

Might be prudent to get local knowledge on each of those marked airstrips.

A map is only reliable if it's regularly updated, and I doubt this one is.

I know a couple of those strips that haven't been used in yonks: overgrown or ploughed up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1