YGLB - one more nail in the coffin...

Just to keep people up to date the fees are now $20 to land, $20 to taxi in, $10 to park and $20 to taxi out again.

Not exactly sure how much Mr Airport Operator Man expects to raise from the very few aircraft that are left at Goulburn. Certainly can't see it making visitors any more keen to drop by...

20190702_203139.thumb.jpg.706a3bc33f7cce148b898acc049fbc25.jpg

The owner and the politics involved with his money grabbing ideas removed a lot of the pleasure I had flying at and using the airtport.   There are many good people out there but this idiot and a stupid money grabbing council have killed most of the ancillary joy for me.   Flying is still great but the ancillary garbage is crap.

• Like 1

Yenn,

The airfield is on the floodplain of the Mulwarre, so putting up any sort of building - residential or industrial, is not likely, the airport is on the opposite side of the Hume Hwy from the city making it harder to reach than other available parts of the city.

Fortunately for the critically ill, there is a good sports field adjacent to Goulburn Hospital if medivac is required.

• Like 1

The airport is used extensively during the bushfire season as a standby area for firefighting aircraft and as a watering base for the local area.

Last Sunday afternoon was a glorious day to go flying at Goulburn but there was no one around. Normally I'd see a half dozen aircraft based at Goulburn airport flying. It could be coincidental but the sign/pole is a likely contributor.

Next to the sign is a pole. On top of the pole is a camera to record the movements so the airport owner can charge aircraft owners using taxiway delta. 

The owner of the hangar I rent from did some measurements during the week. I'm not sure that it is much consolation but the claim is the sign/pole is illegal. The sign/pole are within 22 meters from the taxiway center line. I'm told that at a licenced airfield it should be 32 meters.

I left on Sunday, after my flight, thinking about other airport options.

This sad drama has been going on for years. Goulburn is perfectly located to use when the weather ahead goes a bit  "ordinary" over high ground and pretty essential to be available  SW  of Sydney. Nev

• Agree 1

Sorry mates but seriously, it would almost make me happy to pay just to see this moron be out there everyday to record every single movement ?

I hear that YGLB is a great place to practice touch/go circuits by the way.

• Haha 1

..., it would almost make me happy to pay just to see this moron be out there everyday to record every single movement ...

The recording is automated by AvData, based on your radio calls. If you keep yelling "type call sign, going around" and land anyway ... Well the cat would truly be among the pigeons then 

I would question the legality of a third party recording a conversation between two other parties without a warrant. And before someone nails my backside over my comment.  I consulted my solicitor over a similar situation and was told the above would be illegal.

Cheers,

Jack.

My understanding is that aircraft trying to avoid landing fees by not making circuit calls, or calls without registration, or calls with the wrong registration are a big problem for airport owners chasing landing fee revenue. The industry, and I'm being deliberately vague because I've heard this third hand, is being advised to install camera's to catch the 'cheats'.

I would question the legality of a third party recording a conversation between two other parties without a warrant. And before someone nails my backside over my comment.  I consulted my solicitor over a similar situation and was told the above would be illegal.

Cheers,

Jack.

Can you ask your solicitor to cite the relevant section of the relevant Act/Regulation on this?

Can you ask your solicitor to cite the relevant section of the relevant Act/Regulation on this?

Sorry, on a trip tomorrow via Brisbane to Coffs Harbour, going to flying school.  But, I have started to look here and it’s gonna take many hours of wading through  all the legal stuff.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/

Cheers,

Jack.

Sorry, on a trip tomorrow via Brisbane to Coffs Harbour, going to flying school.  But, I have started to look here and it’s gonna take many hours of wading through  all the legal stuff.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/

Cheers,

Jack.

I had a quick look in the Radiocommunications Act, but suspect it is legal to record as it’s not a private conversation, but a broadcast on a radio frequency that can be listened to by anyone in range with a receiver. 

It will change things if it’s not legal.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Monitoring  the information passed between 2 parties by a 3rd party?  This means the comms being monitored must be recorded for that 3rd party to use in determining their billing process? IF their monitoring is legal, I may also ask what Avdata’s policy for security of information under the privacy act?

Do they provide the airport owner with all details of airport operations they have logged?

Cheers,

Jack.

There's some information on recording conversations in the lawyers website link below ...

https://www.mst.com.au/legality-of-secretly-recording-conversations-in-australia/

The legislation varies from State to State - but the over-riding principle is whether the conversation is private or public.

A conversation on aircraft radios cannot be considered private, it is a public conversation, so no problems as regards recording it.

The principle is the same as videoing/photographing people who are unaware that they are being photographed. 

You do not need peoples approval or agreement to video/photograph them, in public areas, because they are in a public place.

But if you video/photograph someone who reasonably believes they are in a private place (with a reasonable expectation of privacy) - such as their bedroom, or even a fenced backyard, you can then be found guilty of a illegal recording crime.

There is also an allowable definition of "commercial interests" attached to recording of conversations. This means that a recording can be made if one party has a commercial interest in the discussion.

http://www.mcleods.com.au/news/local-government-updates/recording-conversations-without-consent

• Agree 2