Admin

Have Red Balloon 737 Flight Sim experience gift

Admin

For Christmas my daughter gave me a Red Balloon 30min 737-800 Flight Sim experience here in Melbourne and just wanting to know before I book it is there anything I should know about it? Has anyone had this experience before?

prwood

Good fun Ian, I did the 60 minute 737-800 experience a couple of years ago & managed 3 circuits at Kai Tak & 3 at Princess Juliana. managed 4 landings & 2 arrivals:ecstatic:.

boleropilot

Hey Ian, yeah I agree with woody, definitely a lot of fun - I did 30 minutes in the one at the Gold Coast and even though it wasn't a moving platform you really felt like you were in the air and moving about.  One thing I would suggest is that if you don't have a lot of sim time at home you might want to choose an easier airport than something like Kai Tak - it's a magnificent airport (was) but the chequerboard approach takes a fair bit of practice to get right - you have to descend toward the chequerboard and then roll into a descending right turn to get to the piano keys.  In my sim there is a row of flashing lights on towers to help with the path you need to take, so that helps.  if you do decide Kai Tak you could do what I did, take off from the new HK airport and then land at Kai Tak.  I did a go around on short final for practice, that gave me a nice big circuit around HK and a better idea of how the approach works.  Probably the best piece of advice I can give is to let the Co-pilot do the flaps and gear, he (or she) will keep track of speeds for you.

And I just saw the date of your post, so you may have already done the flight?

cheers m8

BP

facthunter
Posted (edited)

Who runs the Simulator Ian?  

LATER.. I've looked it up. Doubt that it will have motion. 30 minutes will go fast  It's just another aeroplane,  (simulator)... You perhaps won't know the flap speeds etc but the  Pilot assisting will do that no doubt. You can study them up if you want to. You could find that information. Know the cockpit layout. Gear lever,  flap  and spoiler, ground spoiler.  Fuel flow equals power.  Normal approach is with a fair amount of power. Make sure you know the BUG speed  for your approach. Without it you don't know what to aim for. Don't load yourself up..  You have a tiller to steer with on the left under the sliding window for sharp turns and taxiing . Once you are lined up use the rudder pedals.. Rotate slowly  (4-5 secs) to about 18 degrees nose up when you reach the rotate speed   The trim is a button on the wheel. You WILL have to use it.  a fair bit.  .Nev

Edited by facthunter

Admin

Thanks guys, no I haven't done it yet, I just don't seem to get the time but the voucher lasts for some time yet so it is still on the agenda to book it

bexrbetter

Don't go missing now ....

boleropilot

yeah facty is giving you an idea of how busy you can be - do what they do in the real world and get the co-pilot to help out - it will make it much more fun if you don't 'fireball' it.....