Dedicated CTAFs

JG3

How are dedicated CTAFs allocated??

The reason I ask is that in our SE Qld area for example, a very busy airfield like Gympie is sharing 126.7 while a very quiet airfield like Watts Bridge has it's own dedicated frequency. With all the training action at Gympie, sometimes the transmissions are almost constant, taking up much of the 126.7 air time. Do the managers of Gympie need to apply for a dedicated frequency and be assessed, or how is it done???

Sometimes wonder if pilots even read their ERSA. YWCK (Warwick) has a dedicated CTAF 127.85. I monitor that and 126.7 whilst flying locally and often hear pilots call Warwick traffic on 126.7.

Sometimes wonder if pilots even read their ERSA

And the number of pilots doing left hand circuits when ERSA states right hand on a specific runways....

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hear ya!!

On a similar note, out near me is Young - It has weather - but Cootamundra, which is larger and sees more traffic does not - Neither does Temora!  Go figure!! 

On the circuit direction issue, CASA want standard ie Left Hand Circuits wherever possible. Many of the "excuses" for non standard aren't going to be allowed . This has been policy for a fair while.  Nev

At Gawler, the most-used end is 23. It is into the prevailing SW wind. A left-hand circuit would put you over houses and a freeway, while the RH circuit is over more open stuff, although with several  hobby farms these days.  I would argue against changing our RH standard direction. And I don't think CASA has any safety credibility at all.

Just imagine if we all were to go on strike and stop having any accidents. How long before CASA funding was reduced?

At Gawler, the most-used end is 23. It is into the prevailing SW wind. A left-hand circuit would put you over houses and a freeway, while the RH circuit is over more open stuff, although with several  hobby farms these days.  I would argue against changing our RH standard direction. And I don't think CASA has any safety credibility at all.

Just imagine if we all were to go on strike and stop having any accidents. How long before CASA funding was reduced?

I'm sure they would all be gainfully employed in re-writing the CASRs. 

• Haha 1

There's a fairly good reason why LH circuits are preferred unless there's a very good reason not to. ALL, bar a few Heli's have the command seat on the LHS. The Hill in Cairns would be a good reason. . Nev

On the circuit direction issue, CASA want standard ie Left Hand Circuits wherever possible. Many of the "excuses" for non standard aren't going to be allowed . This has been policy for a fair while.  Nev

...which I am glad of, after having once got up close and personal with another aircraft. That strip's ERSA entry stipulated RH circuits due to meat bombing. The locals knew that operation had long since closed down, so they had reverted to LH circuits.