912 Spark Plug Caps

skippydiesel

In a desperate attempt to get some conversation going, I ask the following questions:

One of the eight caps on my 912 ULS has been found not to meet the security/fit standard (loose)  at the 900 hr service (now underway):

Original plug is made by NGK and  has  the writing VDO5FMH  5KΏ on the side.

·         Q1 - Replace all 8?

·         Q2 - Replace the faulty one?

·         Q3 - Replace with another brand or type?

·         Q4 - Cheapest supplier?

·         Q5 - Other related comments?

I look forward to some interesting suggestion and comments.

I’ve been. Q2 on all engines for years.  A single cap can fail quite independently of others so  while I check all caps regularly I only replace as they fail. 

It's "zero five".

Replace just the one faulty (but it may pay to have an immediate spare on hand in the future)

https://www.mxstore.com.au/search/?q=vd05fmh

You may find cheaper from the UK from ebay and online stores but it's a bit of a wait....

Rotax use a different design now. I'm told they grip the plug better and aren't as wobbly or loose.

I'd hate to even ask the price......

I put new ones on when I rebuilt an aircraft that had low hours but everything was 15 years old.

I got them from Repco, who were the cheapest at the time, but not as cheap as one might like. Bought singly, the price is not so offensive.

Go to line 13.

https://www.ngk.com.au/products/resistor-caps/

edit: From memory NGK wouldn't  sell them to me, just advised me who their dealers were. I had the Repco guy get them in for me and were somewhere between $12 and $15 a piece, which is good when you consider Supercheap is asking $31.00

In a desperate attempt to get some conversation going, I ask the following questions:

One of the eight caps on my 912 ULS has been found not to meet the security/fit standard (loose)  at the 900 hr service (now underway):

Original plug is made by NGK and  has  the writing VDO5FMH  5KΏ on the side.

·         Q1 - Replace all 8?

·         Q2 - Replace the faulty one?

·         Q3 - Replace with another brand or type?

·         Q4 - Cheapest supplier?

·         Q5 - Other related comments?

I look forward to some interesting suggestion and comments.

I'd Q2 and purchase another 3 as ready reserve spares.

I have been checking out the Rotax site - It appears that the Rotax PN is 265248 - however this has now been superseded by PN 265249.  SI-912-027

The old number is still good and cheaper @$8.75 US compared with  the new @ $41.50 US.  (Prices from California Power Systems) Rotax advise against mixing types on the one engine..

I like the idea of NGK Part No  VD FMH  (looks the goods) from Repco - will check that out - may be the most cost effective way to go.

Q2 is the correct answer.

Re Q5 what would you do if you found  a similar "fault" in your daily driver.  

Well! Its not quite a direct comparison, car HT leads are usually combined (moulded) with the caps, the leads themselves are quite delicate (often the problem) and importantly are relatively cheap to purchase and  replace as a  set. So if  had to replace my "daily driver" ignition caps/leads (& I have many times) I would replace as a set.

• Agree 1

Hi I brought a set from Bursons a few weeks ago cost $96.70 for 8 personally if one is US then the rest are in hot pursuit.

often with age the rubber becomes conducive as well and will cause rough running and if really bad take out an ignition ECU Cheap precaution in my book

cheers 

Hi I brought a set from Bursons a few weeks ago cost $96.70 for 8 personally if one is US then the rest are in hot pursuit.

often with age the rubber becomes conducive as well and will cause rough running and if really bad take out an ignition ECU Cheap precaution in my book

cheers 

Thanks for that David: The Bursons price is only slightly higher then the US (without delivery) - so very good indeed.

This is what a Forum should be about - great help!

Update! - The NGK  website (au) catalogue has the caps as PN: VD FMH BUT everyone  including  NGK refers to them as PN: VD05FMH most also have them as Stock No: 8425.

You dont seem to be able to purchase direct from NGK

Suppliers & prices to date are:

Repco $15 each plus $10 freight

Bursons (1) $16 each

Bursons (2) $15 each

Super Cheap $32.99

B Flood $45.97 each

Amazon $ Cant remember but worked out as not far behind Super Cheap.

(Hay David, what Bursons did you do your deal with?)

UK & USA have yet to get back to me - potentially a little better but freight might be the "killer"..

Burson Ballarat if you pm me we could maybe work something out as I have another customer looking for a set I get trade discount but it is usually only 10%

cheers 

As per the link in my post above. 

About $16 EACH..Free delivery over $20....

So, 2 pieces DELIVERED for 32 odd dollars .....

Aussie company, so I'm guessing a week or less delivery?

A further very quick update:

Green Spark Plug Company UK has finally got back to me - bit disappointing, works out to be $14.24/plug.  Could be a little less if opted for basic air mail that could take up to 30 days to arrive.

So far USA almost silent on my inquiry's.

Might as well just buy a set of 8 from Bursons or Repco.  They're local, should take less time and if they lose them you won't have lost. They won't get cheaper over time.

Might as well just buy a set of 8 from Bursons or Repco.  They're local, should take less time and if they lose them you won't have lost. They won't get cheaper over time.

Good advise - Am hoping that David95 will "help me out" If that fails my local Bursons gets the contract.

New plug caps went on yesterday.  without any problems - my thanks to David 95 for helping me keep the financial cost of my hobby as low as possible.  Engine run up today, carbi balance good, all other systems functioning as expected. Test flight,next weather opportunity.