NSW Boeing 737 Fire Bomber

red750

Renewables cannot in any way replace coal at present in countries like China and India, presumably Africa too though I don't know about it. I hope they will in years to come but at present China and India together are building hundreds of coal fired power stations. They are locking in 30+ years of coal power, nothing we say or do will change that. And they must have done their sums, if renewables were viable for them they would go that way. We can dream the green dream but economic reality will prevail.

All of these countries are also installing huge amounts of renewable are they not?  If these countries are massively increasing coal power then what are you worried about you still get to do business as usual. 

China is the world's leading country in electricity production from renewable energy sources, with over double the generation of the second-ranking country, the United States. By the end of 2018, the country had a total capacity of 728 GW of renewable power, mainly from hydroelectric and wind power. China's renewable energy sector is growing faster than its fossil fuels and nuclear power capacity.

India is one of the countries with the largest production of energy from renewable sources. As of 2019, 35% of India's installed electricity generation capacity is from renewable sources,[1] generating 17% of total electricity in the country.[2]

• Like 1

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not wager but would bet on both China & India absolutely poring money into developing "better" renewable systems for generating electrical power.

So what if China has a few coal powered stations on the drawing board - as a centralised economy/government they can change policy tomorrow and back whatever technology(s) suit their agenda.

We should not be taking our lead from anyone but ourselves - the only thing thats stops us being a world leader in renewable energy source technology, is the chip on our politics shoulders that brings on the myopia of the self serving. Look what the Feds have done to CSIRO and the States to their R&D programs. Our leaders have deliberately dumbed down Australia's R&D  - the future is grim indeed.

• Agree 4
  • Winner 1

started with labor in the seventies, liberals are just as bad , we have lost our manufacturing capabilities, greens would take us back even further, why can,t we find a pollie with a future view , answer they only look after themselves ,they retire with much more than us plebites and make the taxation harder for us oldies , i  for one will try to stay ahead if i can until i can no longer afford or cannot stand up to it ,i will sell the house use the money till i go off this earth in a (cardboard box) dont spend any money on my death i wont care 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look what the Feds have done to CSIRO and the States to their R&D programs. Our leaders have deliberately dumbed down Australia's R&D  - the future is grim indeed.

CSIRO

Currently with over 5,000 employees

Locations

Docklands

Parkdale

Clayton

North Clayton

Werribee

Notting Hill

Geelong

Waurn Ponds

Newcombe

Corporate Plan, 2019/20: https://strategy.csiro.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/19-0075_CORP_CorporatePlan2019-20_WEB_190826.pdf

CSIRO

Currently with over 5,000 employees

Locations

Docklands

Parkdale

Clayton

North Clayton

Werribee

Notting Hill

Geelong

Waurn Ponds

Newcombe

Corporate Plan, 2019/20: https://strategy.csiro.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/19-0075_CORP_CorporatePlan2019-20_WEB_190826.pdf

Your point ??

From the CSIRO Wikipedia page.......

"In August 2015 the CSIRO discontinued its annual July and August survey, conducted over the previous five years, polling to create a long-term view of how Australians viewed global warming and their support for action. In the previous 2013 poll, 86 per cent agreed with the statement that climate change was occurring, and only 7.6 per cent disagreed.

On 11 February 2016, Dr Larry Marshall – a former venture capitalist with Southern Cross Venture Holdings, who had been appointed CEO of the CSIRO on 1 January 2015, caused an international outcry after describing Australia’s national climate change discussion as "more like religion than science," a week after announcing hundreds of job cuts to the organisation that will reduce the effectiveness of its climate research team.

In "an open letter to the Australian Government and CSIRO", 2,800 of the leading climate scientists from 60 countries say the announcement of cuts to the CSIRO’s Oceans and Atmosphere research program has alarmed the global climate research community. They say the decision shows a lack of insight and a misunderstanding of the importance of the depth and significance of Australian contributions to global and regional climate research."

To me, the CSIRO has now become an ill-defined organisation that doesn't appear to be doing a great deal, as regards developing important inventions. They seem to now do a lot of research without producing anything.

In the past, the important inventions record of the CSIRO was outstanding. By far the greatest invention by the CSIRO, in my mind, is the Atomic Absorption Spectrometer - a device that has produced spectacular cost-savings to mining and industry, world-wide - and which device still brings in royalties to Australia.

The last invention of note, and of world importance, by the CSIRO was WLAN - and that was in the 1990's. The Ultrabattery is probably the last CSIRO invention, but it is not exactly making waves in the world battery scene.

• Like 3

From the CSIRO Wikipedia page.......

"In August 2015 the CSIRO discontinued its annual July and August survey, conducted over the previous five years, polling to create a long-term view of how Australians viewed global warming and their support for action. In the previous 2013 poll, 86 per cent agreed with the statement that climate change was occurring, and only 7.6 per cent disagreed.

On 11 February 2016, Dr Larry Marshall – a former venture capitalist with Southern Cross Venture Holdings, who had been appointed CEO of the CSIRO on 1 January 2015, caused an international outcry after describing Australia’s national climate change discussion as "more like religion than science," a week after announcing hundreds of job cuts to the organisation that will reduce the effectiveness of its climate research team.

In "an open letter to the Australian Government and CSIRO", 2,800 of the leading climate scientists from 60 countries say the announcement of cuts to the CSIRO’s Oceans and Atmosphere research program has alarmed the global climate research community. They say the decision shows a lack of insight and a misunderstanding of the importance of the depth and significance of Australian contributions to global and regional climate research."

To me, the CSIRO has now become an ill-defined organisation that doesn't appear to be doing a great deal, as regards developing important inventions. They seem to now do a lot of research without producing anything.

In the past, the important inventions record of the CSIRO was outstanding. By far the greatest invention by the CSIRO, in my mind, is the Atomic Absorption Spectrometer - a device that has produced spectacular cost-savings to mining and industry, world-wide - and which device still brings in royalties to Australia.

The last invention of note, and of world importance, by the CSIRO was WLAN - and that was in the 1990's. The Ultrabattery is probably the last CSIRO invention, but it is not exactly making waves in the world battery scene.

The Animal Health Labority in Geelong may be making up for that,

CSIRO in my view at least should not be merely about inventing things. New inventions are usually built on some discovery which Joe public  niavly thinks  is useless but that yeilds some new device. Heinrich Hertz who discovered radio waves said  that he could not envisage any possible practical application.  Hindsight tells us quite a different  story. WIFI famously a spin off from research into black holes. My friends that work at CSIRO tell me that funding has been substantially cut.

It's been cut alright and the top  management changed  to discourage them researching climate matters. This Govt is "climate denial" entrenched.  CSIRO has a proud record over a long time and  ably assists( or did) a lot of Australian Industries. WE shoot ourselves in the foot and  THIS is just another good example. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

... One good volcano eruption or asteroid strike will do more damage in a few minutes than humans have done in the last 400 years!

It might be a bit deep and meaningful , but don't get caught up in the MEDIA hype. 

I've said that more than once, but we'd be stupid to expect salvation from nature.

Time we curbed our pollution.

The difference between an asteroid event  is WE are the CAUSE of what's happening at the moment not some hypothetical event sometime in the future that may or may not happen. The earth is doomed eventually but that's a long time off especially as MAN as an identifiable thing has only existed for around 300,000 years. A relatively short time in the big scheme of things. Nev

Its not just CSIRO - in the mid 1980's  I joined what was NSW Agriculture - great esprit de corps - mainly applied science and an excellent advisory arm, disseminating the research to both public & industry. Terrific links nationally & internationally. First line of defence in a disease/pest outbreak  - pretty much all gone now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I have thought that religion, being the "opiate of the masses", was the means for lazy people to calm their ignorant anxiety. Then, from what I read of the pentacostalist's  philosophy, they must be the laziest thinkers of all. How good is goin' to kirk on Sunday???

• Haha 1

I have thought that religion, being the "opiate of the masses", was the means for lazy people to calm their ignorant anxiety. Then, from what I read of the pentacostalist's  philosophy, they must be the laziest thinkers of all. How good is goin' to kirk on Sunday???

I always thought the  "opiate of the masses", was sport but then they could be one in the same . The state has always sought the same level of blind faith as organised religion. No doubt there is some comfort in giving up responsibility to think and be accountable for oneself.

It least we can actually see and touch the members we elect. Most Gods elect to remain invisible and some religions are not even able to attempt to depict the almighty. There are thousands of different faiths which those of other faiths dismiss as false or inferior causing some considerable angst amongst the other lot often incurring a blasphemy charge punishable by death.. I Don't want a faith to be part of government that is elected.  You are buying a loaded gun when you go that way. Freedom from religion should be a right or discrimination will not end.  Imagine YOUR religion did not get control.  Nev

Heathen, noun. The definition of a heathen is someone who does not belong to an accepted religion or is someone who is lacking in morals or principles. An example of a heathen is a person who is uncivilized and not religious. An example of a heathen is a person who lies, cheats and does other immoral things.

So who are the "Heathen Hordes"? The definition appears to me to have been given by Fundamenatlist religious fanatics.

• Agree 1

It least we can actually see and touch the members we elect. Most Gods elect to remain invisible and some religions are not even able to attempt to depict the almighty. There are thousands of different faiths which those of other faiths dismiss as false or inferior causing some considerable angst amongst the other lot often incurring a blasphemy charge punishable by death.. I Don't want a faith to be part of government that is elected.  You are buying a loaded gun when you go that way. Freedom from religion should be a right or discrimination will not end.  Imagine YOUR religion did not get control.  Nev

Christmas Greetings Nev -

In my humble opinion you need to draw a line between faith & religion (what I see as organised faith). I see faith as a personal spiritual state not necessarily part of a religious code/ observation. Organised religion is both a curse and a blessing and is probably responsible for more disharmony than any other factor. I would like to see the media comment on any influence of religion on politicians/politics, depicting it in the same way they express concerns about China's attempts to influence our democracy.

I think you are naive about the part religion plays in Australian politics. The mainstream Christian religions have always had a strong "under the counter" lobby in Australian politics - goes way way back! eg the recent push by the mainstream religions for "religious freedoms" / code for enshrining bigotry/discrimination (by them) in law." Think about the way all the mainstream religions have been able to avoid being subject to the law of the land, exemptions from prosecution, do not pay the taxes /levies the rest of us are required to do, the rise & rise of the religious school system, etc etc.

• Winner 1

Heathen, noun. The definition of a heathen is someone who does not belong to an accepted religion or is someone who is lacking in morals or principles. An example of a heathen is a person who is uncivilized and not religious. An example of a heathen is a person who lies, cheats and does other immoral things.

So who are the "Heathen Hordes"? The definition appears to me to have been given by Fundamenatlist religious fanatics.

I think it was the Poms who started identifying them when they got sick of people dancing around in their fields and lighting fires at night.

The entrance to that war was based on complete lies. George (Baby Bush)was ready to go and that was it. In all history nothing has been more obvious. NO EVIDENCE Whatever of WMDs.  The supposed reason for it all and what has happened since. Shock and awe and no follow up except profiteering. Nev

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

The entrance to that war was based on complete lies. George (Baby Bush)was ready to go and that was it. In all history nothing has been more obvious. NO EVIDENCE Whatever of WMDs.  The supposed reason for it all and what has happened since. Shock and awe and no follow up except profiteering. Nev

What about the Kurds - these people?

WDKurds.JPG.5bb6fc167c859ae5ce1bfb427a73ad84.JPG

NOBODY seems to care about what happens to them, even now with Turkeys actions against them.. They were poisoned with US supplied gas by Saddam .Blix never found any evidence of WMD. If you consider the gas thing enough on it's own, the scene was never presented THAT way at the time.. Nev

Wasn’t Clive James part of the group looking for WMD, he was as sure they existed as GWB.

He wasn’t the bright spark he was made out to be. His predecessor knew they weren’t there as did blind Freddy.

• Haha 1